What's Your Archetype?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
dianna

What's Your Archetype?

Post by dianna »

Archetypes of the Awakening

[Joseph} Campbell described the "hero’s journey" as one we must all take in order to separate the "ordinary world" from oneself, and to sacrifice oneself to righting all the wrongs we observe in the world. We answer a "call to adventure" in order to begin this journey into the "out there" but really we are exploring what we have to learn inside of ourselves in this incarnation. The hero is, in fact, the first archetype. He or she is the protagonist. Without them, the story would fall flat, and so it is our experience in flesh and bone. Though some will argue that the mono-myth falls short of describing all the characters within the play of life, they certainly are helpful in understanding that we all play a role, and that we can choose a different one, just as easily as changing a costume in a Shakespearean play.

The Hero

The hero is everywhere. It appears in every ancient myth, popular culture, ancient culture, and epic story. The hero is often born under unusual circumstances, either under unusually precarious conditions or into royalty, and once they receive the “call to adventure” they leave their homes to continue their journey. They often have super-natural gifts (clairvoyance, and clairaudience, among them) and must face many trials in life in order to atone with the father archetype, thus annihilating their egoic selves, to gain spiritual boons. The hero serves as an idealized person who can deal with trials and tribulations in ways that the average person cannot.
The Mentor

Sometimes the mentor appears as a teacher, or a sage. Their purpose is to test the hero’s will, their commitment to the task at hand, and their ability to stay the path on their epic journey. The mentor can guide the hero, but they can also guide any of the other archetypes represented in the play of life.

The Shadow

This is usually the antagonist of the story. You may find that depending upon your relationship to another person, you are their antagonist. Someone else might be yours. The shadow’s function is to get in the way of the hero or heroine obtaining their objective, but more importantly, represents subconscious detritus that has not been brought to the surface to deal with consciously. [T]he shadow is not all bad. It is simply the unknown ‘‘dark side’’ of our personality ... dark both because it tends to consist predominantly of the primitive, negative, socially or religiously depreciated human emotions and impulses like sexual lust, power strivings, selfishness, greed, envy, anger, or rage, and due to its unenlightened nature, completely obscured from consciousness. It is when the shadow comes to life that we realize our hero’s journey and succeed.

Whatever we deem evil, inferior or unacceptable and deny in ourselves becomes part of the shadow ... the shadow is the sum of all personal and collective psychic elements which, because of their incompatibility with the chosen conscious attitude, are denied expression in life.

The Ally

[C]ompanions that help us on our journey. They show faithful support, and often reflect the positive aspects of our selves we forget about, but that need reflection during certain meetings with other archetypes like the shadow self.
The Shapeshifter

This is the element of the story, your story, that provides doubt. It is the non-believer ... the voice in your head that tells you the story cannot proceed. The shapeshifter will make it difficult for the hero to stay the course, providing all manner of diversion and questioning about the hero’s true purpose.
The Trickster

Also known as the clown, or the jester, the Trickster is similar to the shapeshifter, in that its purpose is to throw the hero off-balance. The trickster has the directly opposite role as the Guardian or Mentor. They represent temptation.
The Seeker

Also known as the wanderer or the dreamer, the seeker is perpetually looking for answers. They can seem like a ‘lost’ soul that never finds an anchor, but they also help to drive the story forward, by all manner of inquiry. The seeker is so driven for answers that they will even put themselves in danger, and act in spontaneous or knee-jerk ways just so that they can "seek" more. [Like] Siddhartha ... the seeker is very valuable, but only the hero finds the ultimate truth.
Cristian

Re: What's Your Archetype?

Post by Cristian »

Hi dianna ,

It is fucked up ...indeed . (Picked up some Newcastle lingo :( ... )

But yes, fucked up...because one can never tell if the next thing, if the next adventure is not still a form of control. It is not always obvious when one walks free.

I will avoid all the "Matrix" quotes. Apart from :

" Neo: But if that's true, that could mean you're a part of the system, another kind of control.
The Oracle: Keep going.
Neo: I suppose the most obvious question is: how can I trust you?
The Oracle: Bingo. It is a pickle, no doubt about it. Bad news is there's no way you can really know if I'm here to help you or not, so it's really up to you. Just have to make up your own damn mind to either accept what I'm going to tell you, or reject it. Candy?"

Lol ..candy. Candy...

Everything it's a candy. A lie. Ego.

So weird. So sad.

Maybe another way.
dianna

Post by dianna »

"Bingo. It is a pickle .."

LOL ... I keep waking up while in the process of waking up to my nefarious position among those who claim to be awake ...

Eelco

Post by Eelco »

Reminds me of the sacred contracts Caroline Myss talks about.
Series of expensive book/products and on-line consultancy....

But then that's probably my victim talking...

With Love
Eelco
~ “for what it's worth”~
~Placebo~
Exit-0

Post by Exit-0 »

The archetype we must all consider is the program running in the background - the, "Free-Will-Game" program.

No matter what archetype you identify with, I can almost guarantee, the next-time-around you won't remember a single bit of it.

That's due to the fact that Archons pollute the After-Life-Realm, with the purpose of "trapping" your eternal soul back into this prison matrix. Once "processed" your individual-self will have no recollection of who you once were, nor how you may have begun to figure-out the system, i.e., the free-will-game.

This cycle can be eternal, unless one figures-out how to escape the traps in a single lifetime.

Perhaps it's time we all collectively work-on how to break the cycle, and escape those traps....
Pris

Post by Pris »

I think I'm something of a brat... don't quite know where that fits in.

Eelco

Post by Eelco »

I have done some archetypal work in the past. Mainly shadow work etc.
So I was contemplating that and found.... An archetype is a symbol carried or fed by the collective consciousness am I right?

How can I as a person ever hope to get free from an archetype that has the power of the collective behind it?
It means I have to gather a force equally powerful.

What if I'm just human. My archetypal tendencies just human faults and strengths. I can work with my human faults. Using my human strengths to see them and choose different.

With Love
Eelco
~ “for what it's worth”~
~Placebo~
Cathryn

Post by Cathryn »

This all sounds about right to me Eelco.... :D
Eelco wrote:I have done some archetypal work in the past. Mainly shadow work etc.
So I was contemplating that and found.... An archetype is a symbol carried or fed by the collective consciousness am I right?
Yes the archetypes 'arise' from the collective via the unconscious. Identification to an archetype or more to the point ahem 'calling it up, is tricky business and likely to bring about some turbulence, a possesion of sorts. They arise; they are 'gods' and really not a part of the personal psyche. Recognition of an arising archetype is not the same as identification. Some of the more obvious and more personal archetypes (shadow, anima/animus)

How can I as a person ever hope to get free from an archetype that has the power of the collective behind it?
It means I have to gather a force equally powerful.
Recognition - leads to insight/pathway, not freedom from the archetype, but insights into why the psyche has allowed the arising for what purpose. It leaves the same way it arises... I recall Christine speaking about Joan of Arc in one of her essays, perhaps she can relate how that arose and worked for her.

What if I'm just human. My archetypal tendencies just human faults and strengths. I can work with my human faults. Using my human strengths to see them and choose different.

With Love
Eelco
Thank you Dianna, for your op, its an exciting and multi-layered subject, My husband is just reading 'Hero's Journey' though I do consider that the journey is not usually about epics but about how we all circle and spiral up through learning and development or overcoming adversity and 'seeing the place for the first time' as William Blake said.
Peacerebel

Post by Peacerebel »

edit

Return to “Wisdom - KnowThySelf”