Bene Gesserit

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cristian

Bene Gesserit

Post by Cristian »

Frank went on to tell me that much of the premise of Dune — the magic spice (spores) that allowed the bending of space (tripping), the giant worms (maggots digesting mushrooms), the eyes of the Freman (the cerulean blue of Psilocybe mushrooms), the mysticism of the female spiritual warriors, the Bene Gesserits (influenced by tales of Maria Sabina and the sacred mushroom cults of Mexico) — came from his perception of the fungal life cycle, and his imagination was stimulated through his experiences with the use of magic mushrooms.

In Frank Herbert's 1965 novel Dune, the Bene Gesserit are a secretive matriarchal order who have achieved somewhat superhuman abilities through physical and mental conditioning and the use of the drug melange. Under the guise of humbly "serving" the Empire, the Sisterhood is in fact a major power in the universe, using its many areas of influence to subtly guide humanity along the path of its own plan for humanity's future. Herbert notes that over 10,000 years before the events of Dune, in the chaotic time after the Butlerian Jihad and before the unveiling of the Orange Catholic Bible, the Bene Gesserit "consolidated their hold upon the sorceresses, explored the subtle narcotics, developed prana-bindu training and conceived the Missionaria Protectiva, that black arm of superstition. But it is also the period that saw the composing of the litany against fear and the assembly of the Azhar Book, that bibliographic marvel that preserves the great secrets of the most ancient faiths.

Missionaria Protectiva

The Bene Gesserit practice "religious engineering" through a faction called the Missionaria Protectiva, which spreads "infectious superstitions on primitive worlds, thus opening those regions to exploitation by the Bene Gesserit."[15] Collectively known as Panoplia Prophetica, these myths, prophecies, and superstitions provide the opportunity for a Bene Gesserit to later cast herself as a guide, protector, or some other figure in fulfillment of a prophecy in order to manipulate the religious subjects for protection or other purposes. These myths also exploit religion as a powerful force in human society; by controlling the particulars of religion, the Bene Gesserit have a manipulative lever on society in general. The Bene Gesserit also employ the Missionaria Protectiva to prepare the Empire for its Kwisatz Haderach.

Spice agony

The spice agony is an ordeal in which an acolyte of the Bene Gesserit takes a poisonous "awareness spectrum" narcotic and, by internally changing the substance and neutralizing its toxicity, gains access to Other Memory, the combined ego and memories of all her female ancestors.

An acolyte unable to effect this change dies. Only women have ever survived the agony, but through their breeding program the Bene Gesserit seek the male Kwisatz Haderach who will be able to change an illuminating poison. The Bene Gesserit try over many generations through selective breeding to produce such a being. A Kwisatz Haderach is given abilities different from those of a Reverend Mother. During the spice agony, there are two areas of the soul that the acolyte may visit — the part that gives, and the part that takes; a Reverend Mother cannot access the memories of her male ancestors, and is terrified by the psychic space within her that the masculine memories inhabit.

In Dune, Jessica endures the agony while pregnant with her daughter, Alia. This has a profound effect on the unborn Alia, who is consequently born a full Reverend Mother with the complete Other Memory of both her female and male ancestors. The Bene Gesserit refer to children born this way as "Abominations." Without the benefit of a fully formed adult ego of her own, Alia is susceptible to the influence of her ancestral memories. This ultimately leads to her downfall, as she is eventually possessed by the persona of her evil grandfather Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, whom she herself had murdered as a child in the events of Dune.

Other Memory

One of the 'powers' of a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother is her Other Memory: the combined ego and memories of all her female ancestors, passed on through genetic memory, and thus, up to the point where each following ancestor was born and the physical contact with the mother broken. The ego/memory combination remains a distinct identity within the Reverend Mother's mind, and is able to inject itself into her awareness at appropriate or emotional moments, though the Reverend Mother's ego is always dominant.

A Reverend Mother has access only to her female lineage in Other Memory; her male line is unavailable to her, present as a dark void that terrifies her. Until the time of God Emperor of Dune, the purpose of the Bene Gesserit breeding scheme is to breed a Kwisatz Haderach, a male with Other Memory who can see both lines, male and female.

The Voice

Bene Gesserit are trained in what they call "the Voice" – a means "to control others merely by selected tone shadings of the voice."[16] By modulating the subtleties of her voice, a Bene Gesserit can issue commands on a subconscious level, compelling obedience in others that they cannot resist, whether they are consciously aware of the attempt or not. This control can be as subtle as influencing thoughts and motivations, or as strong as forcing physical actions and even temporary paralysis in the subject.

Sexual talents

The Bene Gesserit are notable for their extensive skill in seduction, sex and sexual imprinting. The most talented and most highly trained are known as Imprinters. Men in a position of power or future power, or those with specific qualities that the order wishes to incorporate into their breeding program, are typical targets of a Bene Gesserit imprinter. Men seduced by an imprinter are permanently affected (imprinted) by the intense sexual experience and are thereafter consciously or subconsciously favorable to the Sisterhood. An imprinter can be successfully resisted if the subject has been psychologically pre-conditioned to do so, and the subject's automatic defensive response may even be entirely subconscious.

Abomination

A Bene Gesserit who survives the ritual spice agony gains access to Other Memory, the combined ego and memories of all her female ancestors. An adult Reverend Mother can manage the presence of these subordinate inner voices because she has a full personality of her own and a solid sense of self. However, if a Bene Gesserit undergoes the agony while pregnant, the fetus will also experience it, acquiring full consciousness and access to Other Memory. Since the child has not yet developed a sufficiently strong ego before being exposed to her tide of ancestors, she is more susceptible to their influence, and there is a danger that she will ultimately be overcome and possessed by a strong ancestral ego. The Bene Gesserit call this "Abomination," and such children are killed immediately. They are also referred to as "pre-born" in Children of Dune.

In Dune, Lady Jessica is pregnant when she undergoes the spice agony while among the Fremen; her resulting daughter, Alia, is born a full Reverend Mother, the mind of an adult in a child's body. She pretends to be a child, but others notice that she is different. The Bene Gesserit are eventually outraged and horrified by Alia's existence, but she is out of their control. Mohiam says, "I've said too much, but the fact remains that this child who is not a child must be destroyed. Long were we warned against such a one and how to prevent such a birth, but one of our own has betrayed us."

Litany against fear

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit throughout the series to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Eelco

Re: Bene Gesserit

Post by Eelco »

I just want to learn to wiggle the muscles in my tiny toe.

WIth Love
Eelco
~ “for what it's worth”~
~Placebo~
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

I knew there was something to this thread; it took a couple days to surface,... but it did.
The spice agony is an ordeal in which an acolyte of the Bene Gesserit takes a poisonous "awareness spectrum" narcotic and, by internally changing the substance and neutralizing its toxicity, gains access to Other Memory, the combined ego and memories of all her female ancestors.
Oh oh! Internal alchemy anyone? This concept is going to be significant... 'as people are subjected to increasing contaminants, toxins, and other manners of artifice' (and I'll leave that reference at that); and not just the 'new and exciting' contaminants, but the present/extant/deep rooted ones! Oh, have I said too much? :roll:
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

... except one: I lie too much" - Ilya Alekseyev
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Shezbeth wrote:
Oh oh! Internal alchemy anyone? This concept is going to be significant... 'as people are subjected to increasing contaminants, toxins, and other manners of artifice' (and I'll leave that reference at that); and not just the 'new and exciting' contaminants, but the present/extant/deep rooted ones! Oh, have I said too much? :roll:
Not at all, there is a portent here. I have to *sit* with this post as it brings forth power and the Other Memory. It is an OUR journey, OUR power, OUR choice, scary to contemplate that much responsibility, the tests that must be endured, the greater risks, the blade sharper.
The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

This is something that I have to beat people over the head with (figuratively) before they recognize/realize.

The human body is capable of FAR more than an individual is likely to have been told.

The whole concept of the 'spice agony', or the changing of the water, has very much to do with the activity of the immune system. This is crucial because the immune system - in its PROPER function - is LARGELY dependent on the dispositions and perceptions of the individual.

Mainstream medical propaganda would have one believe that the body is 'like a vulnerable infant in a big bad world of parasites, microbes, bacteria, viruses, etc.'. I agree that there ARE those aforementioned, in contrast I assert that the body was designed to defeat such things, and only when the immune system is compromised (whether by chemicals, diet, lack of exercise, or just a plain 'ol bad attitude) does one actually MANIFEST the 'presented position' I just detailed.

And, just as Paul (Atreides) said - and Cristian hilighted in his comprehensive OP - Fear is the mind (and body!) killer.

The philosophy above takes on a new meaning when considered in context of many hallucinogenic or psychedelic compounds (Psylocybin, Lysergic Acid, Peyote, to name a few) where the compound is observable and conclusively toxic to the body and must be 'processed', the process of which induces the altered state as the body 'converts the toxin to a more stable compound' (or in some cases, must be expelled by the body).
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

... except one: I lie too much" - Ilya Alekseyev

Return to “Wisdom - KnowThySelf”