Animal Totems and Symbolism

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Spiritwind

Animal Totems and Symbolism

Post by Spiritwind »

I often see birds and animals in my environment, and especially when I see them repeatedly, I tend to reflect on what it might be telling me from a symbolic and spiritual point of view. I am quite amazed sometimes what I discover. I have done this with plants and rocks and minerals, with some similarly amazing results. It's enjoyable for me, this process of seeing my environment as my teacher.

I've been seeing and hearing (they make quite a ruckus) several blue jays lately, so decided to look up the possible implications in symbology. Was surprised to find this:

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/blue-jay ... olism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trust in your heaviness and patiently fall.

Like the crow, magpie and raven, blue jays are talkative creaturesutilizing a wide range of vocalizations to express their opinions. Indeed, their speech abilities are so advanced, that they are able to mimic other birds and even humans. Blue jay's have been known to mimic hawk calls as a ploy to lure these birds of prey away from jay's nests.

Likewise, those with the blue jay as their totem are quite loquaciousness, and have the gift of gab. Common vocations of those with the blue jay as their totem are sales people, lawyers, politicians, public speakers, and teachers.

Animal symbolism of determination, assertiveness, and intelligence is also a shared trait among those who claim the blue jay as their totem (and also common attributes with those having the vocations above listed). We see these characteristics in the blue jay because it is fiercely bold against its enemies.

The jay is fearless when it comes to protecting its partner, young and territory. So too are those with this animal as their totem. They will defend their positions against adversaries who seem much more powerful than themselves - often with successful results.

Blue jay animal symbolism resonates truth, faithfulness, and solidarity because they are vigilant in their tasks. They also keep the same mate for life, which is symbolic of endurance, patience and loyalty. The jay is an excellent symbol for those wishing to honor their long-lasting bond between friends, family and lovers.

In the spiritual realm, the blue jay speaks of clarity and vision. In Native American symbolism (namely the Sioux Nation) the azure of the jay against the blue sky indicated a "double vision" or double clarity. This visual/spiritual "blue on blue" concept speaks of purity of the soul, truth of the heart, and clarity of thought.

In dreams the blue jay animal symbolism also deals with clarity - but of higher thoughts, and taking action. When we dream of blue jays our deeper selves may be telling us that we are not being honest with ourselves about something, and it's time to "come clean" with our thoughts. Blue jay's in dreams are also symbolic of taking action in the direction of our highest truth. The jay asks for honesty, and forthrightness - any other action taken (such as deceptive or dishonest action) will mean double jeopardy for us in our waking hours.

These spiritual and dream impressions are especially poignant because the jay is an air animal totem. Creatures of the air naturally symbolize the realm of thought, higher ideals, spirituality and the attainment of higher truth.

The Sioux also observed the jay preferring fir and oak trees for their homes and nesting areas. These trees are symbolic of longevity, endurance and strength, and so share the same animal symbolism with the blue jay.

This is not to say the jay is persnickety. On the contrary, the blue jay animal symbolism includes aspects of opportunity and advantage because it will make its home anywhere. From supermarket awnings, to mailboxes, the blue jay is extremely resourceful and makes the best out of its environment. Those with the jay as their totem are likely to be the same way. Generally easy-going, jay people are able to make a turn situations around to their best advantage, and make awesome lemon aid out of the sourest of lemons.

Blue jay's are vastly curious, stopping to peck at any shiny thing that catches their eye (much like crows and magpies). Those who resonate with the blue jay will also find themselves equally curious. Indeed, blue jay people have are always dabbling in new directions, gathering new insight, and slaking their curiosities. These people tend to be a jack-of-all trades, knowing a little bit about seemingly everything. This makes them fantastic trouble-shooters and quite resourceful (not to mention fascinating party guests).

I hope you have enjoyed this page on the symbolic meanings of the blue jay. Be sure to check out more articles on animal symbolism, bird totems and bird meanings via the links listed at the end of this page. Thanks for reading!
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Phil

Re: Animal Totems and Symbolism

Post by Phil »

Heh...you're a blue avian too?? Mine is the great blue heron, i think
What is the purpose of your presence?
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Hey Phil, I was wondering if someone would pick that up. But honestly, I never met any blue avians that I know of, the kind that pick you up in the night and take you to their ship and all. I did have a dream many years ago with David Wilcock in it. Does that count?

The Great Blue Heron, that's awesome. Have you ever heard them? They sound positively prehistoric. Plus, they eat snakes. For me, Blue Heron represents the bridge that links the spirit world to the physical, as well as going within and self reflection.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Phil

Post by Phil »

No I've never heard them now that you mention it. I see them flying a lot when important things are going on, and I come across them chilling in ponds and lakes and creeks at our parks often...I always felt a sort of connection or message from the universe
What is the purpose of your presence?
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Two days ago in a moment of deep inner pain, the feeling of knowing that there are times when a soul is absolutely alone I went to my favorite place to sit. A lot came to me on that walk, things I will write about once they settle. While sitting on a rock with my eyes closed I heard a large bird screech, opening my eyes I looked up and caught in the setting sun's rays high overhead soared a golden eagle.

Omens for the soul.

The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.
heyokah

Post by heyokah »

Christine wrote:Two days ago in a moment of deep inner pain, the feeling of knowing that there are times when a soul is absolutely alone I went to my favorite place to sit. A lot came to me on that walk, things I will write about once they settle. While sitting on a rock with my eyes closed I heard a large bird screech, opening my eyes I looked up and caught in the setting sun's rays high overhead soared a golden eagle.

Omens for the soul.

Dear Christine, it seems you could need some Eagle Medicine, as Eagle appeared to you so clearly in this moment of inner pain.

Eagle is reminding you to take heart and gather your courage, for the Universe is presenting you with an opportunity to soar above the mundane levels of your life. The power of recognizing this opportunity may come in the form of a spiritual test. In being astute, you may recognize the places within your soul, personality, emotions, or psyche that need bolstering or refinement.

By looking at the overall tapestry, Eagle teaches you to broaden your sense of self beyond the horizon of what is presently visible. In learning to fiercely attack your personal fear of the unknown, the wings of your soul will be supported by the ever-present breezes which are the breath of Great Spirit.

Feed your body, but more importantly feed your soul. Within the realm of Mother Earth and Father Sky, the dance that leads to flight involves the conquering of fear and the willingness to join in the adventure that you are co-creating with the Divine.

If Eagle has majestically soared into your life, you are being put on notice to reconnect with the element of air. Air is of the mental plane, and in this instance, it is of the higher mind.
Wisdom comes in many strange and curious forms and is always related to the creative force of the Great Spirit.

If you have been walking in the shadows of former realities, Eagle brings illumination.
Eagle teaches you to look higher and to touch Father Sun with your heart, to love the shadows as well as the light.
See the beauty in both, and you will take flight like the Eagle.

Eagle medicine is the gift we give ourselves to remind us of the freedom of the skies.
Eagle asks you to give yourself permission to legalize freedom and to follow the joy your heart desires.

Eagle medicine is the power of the Great Spirit, the connection to the Divine. It is the ability to live in the realm of spirit, and yet remain connected and balanced within the realm of Earth.
Eagle soars, and is quick to observe expansiveness within the overall pattern of life.
From the heights of the clouds, Eagle is close to the heavens where the Great Spirit dwells.
The feathers of Eagle are considered to be the most sacred of healing tools. They have been used for centuries by shamans to cleanse the auras of patients coming to them for healing.

Within the belief systems of Native American tribes, Eagle represents a state of grace achieved through hard work, understanding, and a completion of the tests of initiation which results in the taking of one's personal power.
It is only through the trial of experienced the lows in life as well as the highs, and through the trial of trusting one's connection to the Great Spirit, that the right to use the essence of Eagle medicine is earned.

Source: Jamie Sams and David Carson's "Medicine Cards" (Santa Fe: Bear and Company, 1988).
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I always have many birds and little critters around me, even though I live in the city. They make my heart sing. There were these two blue jays coming this summer as they were introduced by their parents to the "lady who gives peanuts" (that would be me). I called them the two brothers... so funny they were. One still had these punkish feathers on its head. They would yell at me from the balcony until I handed them the peanuts they craved. By fall, they were both of the nicest blue. I have not seen them in a while, they probably are further in the woods for the winter.

What I see a lot these days are the cardinals. They are always together, the couple, male and female. One day, I was really feeling the harshness of this world weigh upon me. I cried what I needed to cry that day and finally said how grateful I was for the cardinals coming over to visit. When I opened my eyes, what do I see ? The male cardinal in all his glory right in front of my window.

On the website you proposed, Spritwind, it says: "Find hope in the darkest of days and focus in the brightest - Dalai Lama".

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/animal-s ... dinal.html

Makes perfect sense to me.
Om Mani Padme Hum
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

You guys rock. Weird timing.
About a week ago, I got my camera and a water bottle with this plan to ride a bus over to a local CoE park.

I saw fluttering near the bushes bordering our driveway, and a pheasant sized mess of feathers flapped its way up to the powerlines over driveway and next to a huge oak tree.

It was a medium sized hawk! Lol with striped tail that it kept waving at me (like a crow greeting kind of).

There was also a large adult squirrel up in the tree about 12 feet from the bird.

But the hawk just sat there very happy and doing its funky tail twitch, looking around. Needless to say this opportunity awarded some very cute and properly lit (yay sun) pictures, but seeing this cutie right in our yard when I was gonna go miles n miles to go see them,

Pure Gold
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper

Return to “Wisdom - KnowThySelf”