You didn't die alone today

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Fred Steeves

You didn't die alone today

Post by Fred Steeves »

My wife came across this on Facebook, in the Knoxville Crime Watch of all places. As lifetime dog lovers and owners it made us both cry. I thought this would be the most appropriate forum to share it, powerful stuff.

Katie Nicole Flowers
February 27 at 11:00 AM

You didn’t die alone today.

I don’t know how I saw you in that ditch on my way to work, but I’m so glad that I did. I turned my car around to get you. You were skinny, covered in dirt and ticks. You whined at me, licked my hand, tried to stand up. But you couldn’t. Your back legs wouldn’t work.

I dragged you out of the ditch and carried you to my car. You were 50+ pounds, and I tried to carry you carefully, but it was hard and I knew you were in pain. But you didn’t snap at me once. You didn’t even growl.

You peed on my legs as I carried you, and you peed all over the back seat. It’s okay though, I know you couldn’t control it.

I drove you to the vet as fast as I could, I could tell you didn’t like cars. Had you ever been in a car? I kept my hand on you the whole way so you knew you weren’t alone. I gave you some water, and you drank the whole bottle. How long had you been alone in that ditch without anything to eat or drink?

I got you to the vet. I called them to come help me get you out of the car, because I didn’t want to hurt you any more than you were already hurting. But while we waited, I stroked your head. Talked to you. Let you know everything would be okay.

They took you in and knew right away you had a broken back. There was nothing they could do.

They told me they have a nice man that buries the ashes of the dogs on his farm outside of town. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I like to believe it is.

I stroked your fur while they put you to sleep, and I cried when you took your last breath. I don’t know if you ever knew love before today. I hope that you did. But even if you didn’t, I hope you know that you were so loved in your last moments. You mattered to someone. And I’ll carry you with me forever.

You didn’t die alone today.
The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates
LostNFound

Re: You didn't die alone today

Post by LostNFound »

Wow Fred, I had a hard time reading this and my wife and I both cried. Thank you and your wife for sharing a soulful touching story.

Steven
Spiritwind

Re: You didn't die alone today

Post by Spiritwind »

Such an incredible,story Fred, and yes, I think you did post this in the right place. It’s been another long night on the farm. Will share when it finally slacks up a bit here, but all I can say is just how very precious life is. Thank you for sharing. And thank you for caring.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....

Return to “A Place for Gratitude”