Days Gone By

"Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."
-Muhammad Ali
Fred Steeves

Days Gone By

Post by Fred Steeves »

I find old film like this utterly fascinating. As many of us are not so far removed from our elder sunset years any more, I wonder how our brief life summaries on camera might look to people a century from now, as these from 1929 look to us here in the present. Of course so on and so on as the centuries continue to unfold:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FE30a4J38Q[/youtube]
The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates
Fred Steeves

Re: Days Gone By

Post by Fred Steeves »

Atlantic City 1928. People being people in a far different era. This would have been my grandparent's into my great grandparent's generation in their prime. I wonder how people 100 years from now will see us doing our present daily thing once we as well are long gone.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGSK3q0CJtw[/youtube]

Socrates
Fred Steeves

Post by Fred Steeves »

I didn't even know this footage existed, have only ever seen pictures. (the video works regardless of how it looks)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkjjxioYIuE[/youtube]

Socrates
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Thanks for this thread Fred, it struck me just a few days ago how totally different "reality" is now. Just going back and looking at the fashions, thoughts, and hopes of the 50's and 60's it is so clear that we are absolutely living in a different world. It brings it many ponderings of how younger people will never have the experiences we did... When we are gone the days will be gone by. I think this is one of the reasons I am so drawn to share with people much younger than myself, as if I can transmit not just memories but the gnosis that goes with having lived such a full life.

It seems that the Titanic is being raised again as more people wake up to the gross deceptions we've been living with.
The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.
Fred Steeves

Post by Fred Steeves »

Christine wrote:Thanks for this thread Fred, it struck me just a few days ago how totally different "reality" is now. Just going back and looking at the fashions, thoughts, and hopes of the 50's and 60's it is so clear that we are absolutely living in a different world. It brings it many ponderings of how younger people will never have the experiences we did... When we are gone the days will be gone by. I think this is one of the reasons I am so drawn to share with people much younger than myself, as if I can transmit not just memories but the gnosis that goes with having lived such a full life.

It seems that the Titanic is being raised again as more people wake up to the gross deceptions we've been living with.
For me anyway Christine, it depends on how it's looked at. I see from the old footage a world I never knew, and is foreign to me, but I also see people going about their busy daily lives same as today; I have to assume it will be the same generations from now when people of the future look back on us now.

You know it's kind of odd I've gotten this silly little habit of gauging young people by were they even born, or have perhaps the slightest wee memory of 9/11, or what life was like before the internet, cell phones or cable t.v., and then I wonder if my grandparents who went through the great depression, Pearl Harbor, and WW 2 felt similar when looking at my generation. Hell, I don't even know what it was like to chase the ice delivery guy down the street on a hot summer day, but I *do* remember what it was like to chase the ice cream man down the street LOL!

I think it's great that you make a concerted point of passing down the essence of your like experience to the kids of today, much as some of them, the ones who wind up putting in the work to care enough anyway, will in turn do as they're turning old and gray. I think that's really important. It matters.

I absolutely do think the changes are coming faster and faster, a quickening if you will, and our generation is most certainly a bridge between how things used to be, and what they will be, which will very likely be unrecognizable to us before too long. And to the kids then it will be natural. Isn't that weird?

The biggest glaring difference I see occurring today IS the recognition, the unveiling, of things previously well concealed that the people in those old films would never be privy to, it would have been unrecognizable to them. But what a double edged sword that is, discerning the truth from bullshit; and then, what do we do with it, and will it ultimately matter?

Maybe the kids of tomorrow can tell us the answer to that one...

Socrates
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Fred Steeves wrote:Atlantic City 1928. People being people in a far different era. This would have been my grandparent's into my great grandparent's generation in their prime. I wonder how people 100 years from now will see us doing our present daily thing once we as well are long gone.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGSK3q0CJtw[/youtube]

Just had to comment about how EVERYONE has a hat on! And the kids were all quite curious about being filmed. I wonder, too, how footage of our times a hundred years into the future will impact people, what they will notice about us (I can certainly speculate). I also wish I could see film of a hundred years into the future.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Fred Steeves

Post by Fred Steeves »

On a far different note, stumbled across Berlin July 1945. I had a grandfather who made it through as a bomber pilot over Germany so he had a hand in this (a very kind man he was, interesting that odd dichotomy). He, his wife and young boy (my grandmother and father) were also stationed and housed in Berlin (in the residence of a former SS officer and family) right after it was over as well, so I was half looking for a young familiar face.

On the other side of the coin, my wife's mother and grandmother were on the receiving end of those bombs in Berlin. I remember her grandmother describing how utterly terrifying it was when the bombs fell; running for your life, tripping over blown apart bodies of children and such...

I've been to Berlin. Magnificent city, and a strong sense of history still lingers in the air for those who can feel it.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5i9k7s9X_A[/youtube]

Socrates
Fred Steeves

Post by Fred Steeves »

I thought this one was pretty cool.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Or45B7CGfY[/youtube]

Socrates

Return to “General discussions”