The real world

Blue Rising

The real world

Post by Blue Rising »

The real world isn't real at all. I know it, and chances are you know it also or you wouldn't be on EE to begin with. Yet, it is what we came here to experience, and we call it the real world to differentiate it from that other world in which we walk. I'm not actually going to look at that, I didn't sit down to spend my free moments debating which is real. Good thing, too, because that would take a little longer than this little rant I need to do.

So.

I went back to work full time. I'm in a public school system for a couple of reasons. One is that's what I'm qualified and credentialed to do. Another is the availability of jobs and employers out where I live is pretty disturbing.

Anyway, this week I have found myself being prayed over and blessed and all sorts of indoctrinated. Repeatedly. And I need to work on my reaction to this, because frankly it just pissed me off.

It is fucking ILLEGAL to play Christian music in the classroom, or have wall hangings that talk about The Rock of Christ or....hang crosses on the wall....just....any manner of displays of one's personal religion. Illegal. As in against the law. I guess maybe listening to some kind of contemporary Gospel or Christian music in the absence of students is ok. For someone?

We went to the big local church one day, because that's where we met for the district kick off. Well, I told myself that's because there's not really an adequate facility anywhere else. That makes sense, right? Oh hell no, it's because there are several district employees who go to church there...and the school district has been adopted by the church. I have been trying to piece this relationship together, and it seems to be one in which the district receives all kinds of support from the church members. So we needed a place to meet to kick off the year, and the church allowed us use of the facility, the members fed us...and also told us all about the church...the pastor gave a little speech...and a prayer. And...honestly I can't even remember how many prayers we all did as a group.

Sigh.

That was one day. One. It seems that every district meeting has a prayer or two. And I've started to notice a little problem with modern day Christianity. They don't know who they are praying to. Or, maybe better stated, they don't agree on who they are praying to.

So, one prayer will be to "Dear Father" and will end with "and we pray in your son's name." The next prayer will be to "Our Lord" and will end with "and in your name we pray." I am a little surprised at the combinations they are coming up with. Neither here nor there, as it all grates on me no matter who they decide to address.

There's no solution, really. G keeps reminding me it isn't my battle. And he's right. Somehow I need to reconcile this. Or ignore it. But existing in it...quite the challenge, knowing and seeing what I do.

Thanks for letting me do a little venting. I really needed to. I hope in the coming months I will still have time to share with you all. I am already missing the interaction of my online friends.

Much Love,
Do not fashion me a maiden who needs saving from the dragons. I am the Dragon. And I will eat you whole.
Sandy Clark

Re: The real world

Post by Sandy Clark »

It is going to be interesting and adventurous in the long run when you discover the plan for being in these surroundings Blue Rising...sending wishes for strength and mindfulness to off set the environmental angst............... ;)
Blue Rising wrote:The real world isn't real at all. I know it, and chances are you know it also or you wouldn't be on EE to begin with. Yet, it is what we came here to experience, and we call it the real world to differentiate it from that other world in which we walk. I'm not actually going to look at that, I didn't sit down to spend my free moments debating which is real. Good thing, too, because that would take a little longer than this little rant I need to do.

So.

I went back to work full time. I'm in a public school system for a couple of reasons. One is that's what I'm qualified and credentialed to do. Another is the availability of jobs and employers out where I live is pretty disturbing.

Anyway, this week I have found myself being prayed over and blessed and all sorts of indoctrinated. Repeatedly. And I need to work on my reaction to this, because frankly it just pissed me off.

It is fucking ILLEGAL to play Christian music in the classroom, or have wall hangings that talk about The Rock of Christ or....hang crosses on the wall....just....any manner of displays of one's personal religion. Illegal. As in against the law. I guess maybe listening to some kind of contemporary Gospel or Christian music in the absence of students is ok. For someone?

We went to the big local church one day, because that's where we met for the district kick off. Well, I told myself that's because there's not really an adequate facility anywhere else. That makes sense, right? Oh hell no, it's because there are several district employees who go to church there...and the school district has been adopted by the church. I have been trying to piece this relationship together, and it seems to be one in which the district receives all kinds of support from the church members. So we needed a place to meet to kick off the year, and the church allowed us use of the facility, the members fed us...and also told us all about the church...the pastor gave a little speech...and a prayer. And...honestly I can't even remember how many prayers we all did as a group.

Sigh.

That was one day. One. It seems that every district meeting has a prayer or two. And I've started to notice a little problem with modern day Christianity. They don't know who they are praying to. Or, maybe better stated, they don't agree on who they are praying to.

So, one prayer will be to "Dear Father" and will end with "and we pray in your son's name." The next prayer will be to "Our Lord" and will end with "and in your name we pray." I am a little surprised at the combinations they are coming up with. Neither here nor there, as it all grates on me no matter who they decide to address.

There's no solution, really. G keeps reminding me it isn't my battle. And he's right. Somehow I need to reconcile this. Or ignore it. But existing in it...quite the challenge, knowing and seeing what I do.

Thanks for letting me do a little venting. I really needed to. I hope in the coming months I will still have time to share with you all. I am already missing the interaction of my online friends.

Much Love,

Return to “The Voice of 1”