Wilhelm Reich's Discoveries

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
-Albert Einstein
finaltom

Re: Wilhelm Reich's Discoveries

Post by finaltom »

Eelco wrote:I was really looking for other peoples experiences with the above mentioned breath-work.
I agree completely with the ref-flag therapists. It's why I discontinued, But since we are discussing Reich's work in this thread I was wondering if any else used his breathing. Apart from Orgonite and cloud-busters Reich has set the stage for many "modern" day therapies which base themselves around the insights of body types and body armor. Lowens Bioenergetic analysis for instance expanded on Reich's work. Reichs Body types also find there way into many massage related therapies. From rolfing(deep tissue massage) to esalen massage therapies.

Anyway I did Reich's Breathwork oh 25 years ago? Some rebirthing sessions say 20 years ago and the transformational breathing was something i tried between 4 to 6 years ago. So it's not something that is very much in the front of my awareness at the moment.

My own breathwork has become way more easy going and subtle through basic theravadan buddhist vipassana and samatha practises.
Which means I know full well the boredom you spoke of. But also have I glimpsed the silence it brings when we persevere to gently guide our attention back to the breath..

WIth Love
Eelco
Thank you for reference. I will check him out.

What is your goal or intentions with this breath work, that you have studied?

The Orgonite that I have seen, seemed different then Willhiem's work. When you find who came up with orgonite, please let us know. This guy seems more reasonable to research done with the concept then most videos I have seen. It aint HD but it is informative.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCg64JCm_pc[/youtube]
I sort of relate to him with my previous practice of Huna and the scientific use with a pendulum for the human Psyche. Psychiatry is a hobby. :D
Eelco

Post by Eelco »

finaltom wrote:
What is your goal or intentions with this breath work, that you have studied?
The goal back then was to do new age therapies and connect with your inner child, find release and catharsis through over stimulation in an attempt to be a new age experiencer.
Which is how I view it now. Back then I was pretty serious about it and believed It was a path to enlightenment. Whatever that may be..
The main reason was to connect to my inner anger as I had come to believe that not being angry ever was a bad thing..

A view years ago I tried the Transitional breathing, because I needed a way out of the rut I felt I was in, maybe a last straw to cling to before letting go and slowly coming to peace with who I am now. Still the fact that I cramp up so much puzzles me. On line I met someone who said It could have been a magnesium deficiency paired with hyperventilation. Which is basically the whole breathing technique.

With Love
Eelco
~ “for what it's worth”~
~Placebo~
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Eelco, there's a brand of coffee you can get online, I forget the name, but it was invented for women who had severe magnesium deficiency. The gender thing is silly, imo anyone who needs magnesium should try that brand.

Then you can mix it with normal coffee maybe & do some inhalations standing next to the pot as it brews... sounds heavenly.

I used to order Gevalia in high school with my allowance, lol.. now I'm poor.

My sweet neighbor across the hall (not the new one but guy who replaced Wilbur) gave me some coffee beans a day or two ago... I'm scared of it a little bit impressed by how nice the beans look. I even looked up the shinyness to see if it was normal or not. Apparently it means high oil content.

My sister recommends breathing exercise. ... she says

"Practice deep breathing (gut)

Breathe in and imagine all the air swirling around inside your brain, (lol) gathering up the defeating or negative thoughts, and breathe it all out.

You'll be left with a nice clean space to think happy thoughts in"

She is hilarious.

P.s. i think it's called Vita Brew
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Eelco

Post by Eelco »

I only occasionally take food supplements. Mostly because they are so expensive.
With my oldest 2 just out or in the process of leaving the house and 4 remaining it will be some time before I can afford a steady intake. Not that I really want to though..

As for breathing. Through my aikido and to a degree shiatsu practice I've been accustomed to deep breathing here and there.
The last few moths/years I've been more exploratory in my breathing loosely following the advise of the Anapanasati suta or the Sattipatahana sutta. When you breathe in long, you know you're breathing in long. When short know it is short.
And varieties of those. I've found that very short shallow breaths can sometimes have a pleasant effect as do the deep and long ones. Sometimes I go for short in and long outs.. Just playing with the breath, but mostly trying to observe it without too much interferance
~ “for what it's worth”~
~Placebo~
finaltom

Post by finaltom »

Eelco wrote:As for breathing. Through my aikido and to a degree shiatsu practice I've been accustomed to deep breathing here and there.
The last few moths/years I've been more exploratory in my breathing loosely following the advise of the Anapanasati suta or the Sattipatahana sutta. When you breathe in long, you know you're breathing in long. When short know it is short.
And varieties of those. I've found that very short shallow breaths can sometimes have a pleasant effect as do the deep and long ones. Sometimes I go for short in and long outs.. Just playing with the breath, but mostly trying to observe it without too much interferance
When I started breath work I focused on the techniques from this video.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPl8JNxSYIY[/youtube]
Now I have moved past it and went more basic and work closer to the natural flow of breath. I have found that our brain activity is strongly related to our breath. Working Subtly to slow my breath and allowing my body to move in the space of shutting down my monkey brain thoughts, finally reaching a point of no breath with non-thought. Once I reach that point, is when my real meditations begin. If you have a set intention, thoughts become useless and you can directly focus on holding the state you desire. This is the state that bleeds over to my automated, everyday life.

Return to “Science (Spirituality)”