Our Small Garden ... or should gardening be required?

"I feel like everything is inspired by something else. There is no 100 percent original thought."
Ne-Yo
Christine
Site Admin

Our Small Garden ... or should gardening be required?

Post by Christine »

Hello everyone, anyone, friends ... The topic is tongue-in-cheeky, the requirement part of course. Nothing should be required though with the further advent of the techie world commerce trade, GMO, pesticide promoted world ... gardening should be required, along with nature walks, barefoot strolls at the seashore, star gazing, tree hugging, fairy castle building, music making, dancing and loving.

She takes a deep sigh in the mornings soft light, the cold air moving through the open kitchen door. She wants to run out and transfer the seedlings yet restrains herself, knowing the soil we filled our garden box with isn't quite ready for the babies.

Over the course of the last few days we have managed to turn a corner of the property from cement paving stones to a little patch of heaven. We couldn't take our eyes off of a patch of dirt, imagining together the lushness of a fully planted space.

The wood frame was made with wood from recycled packing crates, cost: $15 USD, the finish was an alcohol based stain with linseed oil another $15, nails, screws and odds and ends were another $5 plus a days labor which included some beer and fun. What we realize is that you couldn't possibly have that much enjoyment for thousands of dollars.

Yesterday we sourced soil, this was the most expensive part however if we weren't so impatient we could have found cheaper. We also spied a pile of cured horse manure on the side of the highway which we were permitted to fill two large plastic containers with it, some to catalyze our drum composter, also sourced for free.... and voilà here is the result of two days work:

While looking for soil and seeds we visited a nice size organic farm just outside of town, this visit proved valuable for several reasons. We parked our car inside the gated farm to find two Mexican women sitting inside a small rustic produce shack. I introduced myself and Cristian and asked if they sold soil or seeds, the initial reaction was pretty short and it felt negative; two curt replies, "No and no." Well I have had a tendency in the past to bristle at being rejected thus. Something has changed inside though, I felt the distance bristle yet it didn't surface so we started poking around in the little shop appreciating the difference between organically grown vegetables and the super market super produce (too big, too perfect, too bright). Within a minute the alpha female struck up a conversation; "So you are looking for Kale?" she asks. I say yes, it is difficult to find seeds here. She asks if we would like a plant because it produces for years. Oh joy! Yes we would.

What proceeded was the three of us, shovels in hand, went walking the planted rows, we ended up with a Kale 'tree' and an established artichoke plant plus we were able to find seeds scattered so we took some of those too... Lots of laughter and fun trying to dig deep enough to not disturb the plants roots. I was worried that the plants would suffer from being transplanted only to see this morning that they are bright and healthy! Maybe the orgonite charging plate in the middle of our little plot helped. Ok, it did! Last night in the setting sun I could really see the energy field it created and actually could feel the plants loving it ... all in a days work.

Kale and artichoke this morning:

Oh, we were also gifted with the name and phone number of a man who sells compost and seeds. ;) And ... in the previous days search have the name and number of a man who raises red earthworms, gardeners best friends.
The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.
Spiritwind

Re: Our Small Garden ... or should gardening be required?

Post by Spiritwind »

Yes, gardening should be required! I had to log in just to say so. I am always happier if I can participate in planting seeds and watching things grow. And it's catching too. Funny to hear my niece and daughter rave on about each new leaf. But wonderful at the same time. And tiptoeing out to see if something has bloomed over night.

We have mountains of goat poop and uneaten hay, so no trouble with compost. In fact, wish there was a way to market it. Probably can in a couple more years when it becomes well composted.

My next big project is to get a small orchard going, with some apple, peach, apricot, plum, and walnut trees. Woo Hoo! Oh yeah, and maybe a cherry tree too.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

There are also more subtle benefits.... ;)

Well done you lot!
Ingressum instruas, progressum dirigas, egressum compleas.
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

:lol: i can't breathe.

Christine that is very inspiring. Hermit and co starting a global movement one bud at a time, ;)

Did y'all read about the east indian gent who planted 1200 acres trees hoping to restore forests. He is a precious soul.

Hating my 2nd floor shite hole & tjinking ground is a must or bust
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

If you have a balcony and any old plastic storage containers, you can grow your own food.

Or even better....google "Gorilla Gardening". ;)
Ingressum instruas, progressum dirigas, egressum compleas.
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Wwll heres the rub. The owner carpeted it with this green faux turf that soak up water & rot the floor. But thank you. I'd love to try that on a sturdy balcony. I could risk some smaller plants that don't get overwatered but too much weight & I'll come down on john and angie Lol

Hugs to all. Spiritwinds orchard sounds like a nice dream too. My son would love it but not love it to death? Lol!!
~William Cowper
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Working on a trellis today, fortunately our growing season is extended here in Mexico. The peas and beans are ready to climb.

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

What could be more joyous than watching seeds you planted emerge and thrive. Such a metaphor for the process we are all going through.
I have found, through years of practice, that people garden in order to make
something grow; to interact with nature; to share, to find sanctuary, to heal,
to honor the earth, to leave a mark. Through gardening, we feel whole
as we make our personal work of art upon our land.
- Julie Moir Messervy, The Inward Garden, 1995, p.19
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

David Young The Urban Farmer by Rob Greenfield
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zZBn-xYRKY[/youtube]

This video is inspiring to the max, what one man can do.
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Some might not consider the rather bawdy Anne Rice to be high reading.

But bits of her novel Memnoch the Devil are extremely odd & also inspiring, in light of the common thread here.

Creating the garden that is and is not, always and never was. :(

Kind of sad !!
~William Cowper

Return to “Inspiration and Food for Thought”