Why Refugees, Protestors and the Homeless Are a Resource to Be Valued

"Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."
-Muhammad Ali
Naga_Fireball

Why Refugees, Protestors and the Homeless Are a Resource to Be Valued

Post by Naga_Fireball »

If there is one thing that really does make me sad about Walla Walla, it is the woefully deep rift between the two fundamental factions who control the resources here -- those possessed of humanitarian values, and those driven by profit, otherwise known as the Spirit of Mammon -- and what a terrible deadlock in which we now find ourselves!

For lack of agreement, our homeless are herded into a camp not fit to house sheep! And due to lack of commitment, even our warming center has reportedly closed its doors, on some of the coldest nights of this year!

Why such stratification, gentrification, classism and denial of fundamental humanity in Walla Walla?

Shouldn't a city so visible to the world because of its blessings -- which we cannot take credit for, as they were stolen from the native Americans -- be setting an example for other cities experiencing turmoil?

Why should we expect the Germans, for instance, to accept the Syrian immigrants? Why should we demand that Israelis and Palestinians, each with a valid and very difficult argument, cohabit disputed territory? We Americans cannot even apparently take care of our own poor.

It is so ironic that the Statue of Liberty is inscripted with welcoming phrases toward these selfsame people, yet our own leaders joke about building a wall to prevent the suffering poor, the "wretched refuse" of a "foreign shore" "yearning to breathe free" from reaching safe harbor. We watch them drown on CNN trying to reach places less habitable.

We are not given knowledge, generally, of when disaster strikes, until afterwards. When the populated areas of the world experience a true natural disaster or other such thing, misery does not discriminate. The artificial walls of racism and classism will quickly crumble as people unite in order to survive. Anyone with survival skills will be worth many times an unequipped individual, and it just so happens that in America, the greatest survivors were almost invariably the most poor and disadvantaged.

There is no substitute for experience, and the person sitting next to you could end up saving your life someday. Perhaps your votes, your attitudes, your actions (and mine) should reflect the value of human life and not just human wealth.
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Re: Why Refugees, Protestors and the Homeless Are a Resource to Be Valued

Post by Naga_Fireball »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/15/world/mig ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nearly 100 migrants missing in Mediterranean after wreck

By Azadeh Ansari, CNN

Updated 12:16 AM ET, Sun January 15, 2017
Story highlights

The boat was carrying 110 people, the International Organization for Migration says

2016 was the deadliest year for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean to Europe

(CNN)Nearly 100 people are missing after a boat carrying migrants wrecked in the waters between Libya and Italy, the International Organization for Migration said Saturday.

Rescuers have found eight bodies and only four survivors from the boat, which was carrying 110 people in harsh sea conditions, organization spokesman Flavio Di Giacomo told CNN.

Many migrants have died trying to make the perilous trip from North Africa to Europe, with Libya being a popular jumping-off point.

The crossing through the Central Mediterranean is considered the world's deadliest migration route.
With too many migrants -- some fleeing war or persecution, others seeking a better life -- crammed into what are often barely seaworthy boats, the journey can be can be treacherous.

"Bodies washing up in Libya is something we often see preceded by a large shipwreck in the Central Mediterranean," Julia Black, who works with the organization's Missing Migrants Project in Berlin, said earlier this year.

2016 closed out as the deadliest year for migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean Sea to Europe, the group said. A total of 5,079 people died or were reported missing in the open waters.

More than 380,000 migrants made the trip to Europe successfully last year, according to the group.

CNN's Joel Williams and Laura Smith-Spark contributed to this story.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Those with decency will see this refugee crisis through humanitarian eyes, and try to help them.

It's not enough to use a group of people as a poster child or popularity springboard.

Often it is the most hated and demonized people who are in most need of physical aid, and the people in power will do a lot to muddy the waters and prevent them receiving that help.

Even among friends we see the attempt to destroy testimony and the willpower to keep trying for people the larger world wishes it could forget.

We should pray for our leaders that they see the value of all human beings and not just a few special ones.

Honest friends and humble servants are the best crowd. It must be tough in DC and other places, if it's anything like a small town.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Today there was a homeless man in inadequate clothing sitting on top of a sleeping bag roll near Starbucks. He woke up today without even enough change in his pocket to buy a hot coffee and sit inside.

He was planning to skip lunch, wait for dinner, and try to get drunk in between because it makes him "feel" warm.

I insisted he wait for me after he turned down a Subway invitation. He said I was too poor to be helping him. I said I can't do it every day, but today he is lucky and he needs to focus on the day and not the booze.

It is hard saying that to another alcoholic. I've been dry for three weeks now, but some people find that process to be very difficult. In fact without jail, I don't know how I would have quit. Go figure.

Anyway he was still there when I got back, thank God. I hope he at least tried to eat the hot chili. He seemed sad that I couldn't bring alcohol, but I refuse to worsen his situation or be seen purchasing that.

May each of you find an opportunity today to help someone in need. It does not require perfection, just decent timing and some friendly insistence.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Today I said a short prayer next to Madison Park proposed site for homeless microhousing.

That the barriers would be removed.

Genesis 3:24
King James Bible
So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Mark 14:7
King James Bible
For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Some very sad news.

I think maybe on some level, President Trump means well.
But unfortunately, IMO, his order barring refugees from Muslim nations plus Syrians in general will spark sudden violence against the very Christians he claims to be protecting.

I could be very wrong, but some years ago did have a most terrible premonition of violence against Christians.

It did not happen during President Obama's 8 years because he was quietly listening in spite of constant insults. He opted for a path that saved a wider variety of lives.

Unfortunately in my opinion Mr Trump’s executive order is going to result in Christians being killed before they can emigrate.

Please pray for the president to open his eyes to how delicate is the balance of actual power.
The govt assumes control but the heart & the words of our mouths actually control.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

You guys probably saw the news about a call between President Trump and the Australian Prime Minister, ended badly and prematurely -- apparently President Obama had agreed to accept refugees that Australia is sending away & Trump is angered because he says he didn't know about the deal.

Keep in mind what whites in Australia have done to the indigenous people -- the film Quigley Down Under for instance, which I've mentioned before, shows ranchers driving whole families of Aborigines off of cliffs to their deaths. I assume this sort of thing happened a lot before the area became more civilized, but can't imagine that modern Australians treat Muslims with as much respect as they might receive in the United States.

This isn't about the Boston Bombing. It's about human dignity of unrelated groups of people.

Christians wouldn't just let people drown out there just because some faithless govt suddenly decided Islam is too risky. Maybe the problem isn't their religion, maybe it's also that Christians are not keeping the faith... has anyone thought of that?

The apostle Paul might say, the way we treat an immigrant, especially a Muslim who believes he is serving God, really does indicate the level of our trust in God.

God doesn't need nukes and wiretaps and convoys and drones to fight a few goat herders and cave dwellers. This has gotten out of hand.
~William Cowper

Return to “General discussions”