Dirty Walla Walla District Court Judge

"Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."
-Muhammad Ali
Naga_Fireball

Re: Dirty Walla Walla District Court Judge

Post by Naga_Fireball »

https://www.trulia.com/blog/is-your-lan ... enant-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TRULIA'S BLOG \ REAL ESTATE 101
Is Your Landlord Breaking The Law? 8 Warning Signs
- See more at: https://www.trulia.com/blog/is-your-lan ... qao0t.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although you can’t prevent a landlord from ever entering your rental, that doesn't mean you don't have privacy rights as a tenant.

By Laura Agadoni | Feb 16, 2017 3:33PM

The best way to protect yourself from an unscrupulous landlord is to know your tenant rights.

From frustrating nonrefundable deposits to shady lease agreements, there are some landlords out there who won’t adhere to the letter of the law. But the line between legal and illegal is blurry due to differing landlord-tenant laws from state to state for both landlords and tenants. If you’re renting in Austin, TX, for example, state law doesn’t control how much landlords can charge for a security deposit. California tenant laws limit security deposits to two months’ rent for an unfurnished apartment. The best defense tenants have at their disposal is to know the laws in their jurisdiction.

Remember: If you do encounter any of these warning signs, screening your landlord could give you peace of mind — or help you decide if you’d be better off looking for somewhere else to live.

Signs your landlord could be breaking the law:

Your landlord won’t let you see a certificate of occupancy
Some rentals require property owners to have a certificate of occupancy (CO), but in certain circumstances — like when you’re renting a condo — you’re probably safe to assume your new home is covered by one. Likewise, if you’re renting an entire single-family house, the landlord typically won’t be required to apply for a CO. If you’re considering renting a basement, attic, or garage apartment, you should make sure it’s a legal dwelling before you sign a lease. If there’s only one exit or if the wiring is faulty, those are signs of a fire hazard. If the apartment appears as if it might not be up to code, that could mean it isn’t safe, or legal.

Your landlord asks if you were born in another country
According to the Fair Housing Act, landlords can’t legally ask about your national origin, whether you have children, if you have a girlfriend (or boyfriend), and many other questions that suggest ulterior motives. “Denying applications for discriminatory reasons, such as race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or disability, is illegal,” says Shaolaine Loving, a Las Vegas, NV, landlord-tenant attorney.

So if your landlord asks whether you’d like directions to the nearest synagogue, you don’t have to answer. In fact, if a landlord were to ask you an unsuitable question and then deny your application, you’d have the right to file a housing-discrimination complaint. While landlords do have the right to screen tenants, their decision to rent should be based solely on an applicant’s credit history, income, rental history, and a criminal background check. Some optional screening guidelines are permitted, such as no smokers or no pets. (Landlords must allow service animals, however, as long as the applicant can prove the animal’s service status.)

You’re expected to pay a nonrefundable deposit
The term “nonrefundable deposit” for a rental is a red flag. Why? A deposit is always refundable unless there are reasons not to refund it. For example, a pet deposit is refundable if there is no pet damage when the tenant moves out. What might not be refundable is a fee. Some landlords might charge a move-in, cleaning, or pet fee. In those cases, tenants should check the laws of their state to find out if local laws allow for fees in addition to the security deposit.

The security deposit is expensive
Most landlords charge a security deposit before a tenant moves in, and this is perfectly legal in all states. The security deposit is a way for a landlord to cover any destruction that might occur during the tenant’s stay. But landlords are often limited in how much of a security deposit they’re allowed to charge. Las Vegas landlord-tenant attorney Loving says it’s illegal to charge more than three months’ rent for a security deposit in Nevada, for example. Other states limit the amount that a landlord can charge to one month’s rent, and some states have no limits whatsoever. If your state doesn’t limit the amount a landlord can charge, shop around to determine what other landlords in the area are charging — before you hand over too much of your cash upfront.

The terms of the lease don’t sound right
You should try to understand everything in the lease. If there’s tricky language, get an explanation from your landlord. Even if the lease agreement looks like a standard template, reading through and double checking for illegal terms and conditions is important. “Any lease terms contrary to the law, like saying a tenant waives the right to sue or has to pay the landlord’s attorney fees in the event of any dispute [is wrongful],” says Loving.

Your landlord comes by unannounced
Beware of the landlord who says they will stop by often and unexpectedly to look at your rental. Under no circumstances (barring an emergency) can landlords use their keys to enter whenever they like. When you become a tenant, you have a right to privacy. Before you sign, scan your lease for a privacy policy and voice any concerns. Landlords can typically only enter the rental unit after they’ve given notice, which is usually 24 hours (except in the case of an emergency). Typical reasons include the following:

To make repairs.
To show the unit to prospective renters or buyers.
To make a routine inspection (commonly annually, semiannually, or quarterly).
Your landlord raised the rent in the middle of your lease
Raising the rent is not illegal … if it’s done at the right time. Unfortunately, an unscrupulous landlord might try to increase your lease in an unlawful way. If you have a signed lease, your landlord can’t raise the rent until your original lease expires. And if you live in a rent-controlled unit or are a Section 8 tenant, your landlord has further limitations on how much rent can be raised. Otherwise, landlords can raise the rent as much as they like.

Your landlord wants to sell (and wants you out immediately)
Property owners can sell their own property at any time, even with renters in place. But they can’t simply kick out their tenants whenever they like, even if they’re selling the property. The landlord must give proper notice. Unless there’s an early-termination clause in your lease that allows your landlord to break that lease early, you have the right to live out the lease in the unit.

Have you ever needed clarification on landlord-tenant law? Share your experiences and tips for securing a legal rental unit in the comments below!
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Lmfao, these are all from Google, not from me!!

~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

There's an article about a slightly wealthier woman who had a nanny cam in her apartment & caught her landlord having gay sex with one of his friends & wiping the mess on the female tenant's wedding dress.

It's not homophobic to point out that some gays hate women & seek them out for particular abuse.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Cnn just released an article proving the usefulness of online devices such as cell phones and Fitbits to the FBI in solving murder cases involving liars.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/25/us/fitbit ... index.html

His story, however, would not hold up with investigators. And when cops ultimately charged him with murdering his wife, they relied on evidence gathered from an unlikely source:
The Fitbit his wife was wearing.

The crime
It was December 23, 2015. Dabate told detectives he put his two kids on the bus that morning, waved goodbye to his wife, Connie, and left for work.
Soon afterward, the wife headed for a fitness class at the local YMCA, with a Fitbit on her waistband.
Obituary wisdom:

Mr. Senter could take one look at me and know exactly what was going on in my heart. It was a gift I have not seen elsewhere, his uncanny knack for sensing emotions.”
Sad:
Investigators to review Walla Walla teacher's 'state of mind' after fatal ...

Tri-City Herald › crime › article41497230

Oct 26, 2015 - An investigation into the death of Walla Walla High School drama teacher Brian Senter, who was struck by a pickup truck while walking alone Saturday night along the 1200 block of Reser Road, will include an examination of his state of mind.
Anytime a detective sees a situation like this, where the dead man had all the answers and the survivors don't want to hear them, he should make a note.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

The damn nest of heroin smoking gay guys has been really acting up today. I did laundry and that merited my gay neighbor calling his boyfriend to come act like his bodyguard.

About 25 minutes ago they started randomly hammering the wooden trim in the neighbor's unit where it adjoins my own.

This has been going on about 3 days.

It looks like the landlord/druglord/pimp asked them to help make moving & packing very difficult. I know that the landlord hates women (including wife) so it really isn't strange to say his friends were handpicked for the trait of hating anything with a vagina.

But they're actually more afraid of a woman's choice/voice than what lies beneath the belt.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Funny how much farther persistence gets a person, than a four year degree and a million dollars' wasted training.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

I was sitting on the toilet about 5 or 10 minutes ago trying to make anything normal happen. Lol.

It struck me as odd that my neighbor was being so damn quiet. I jokingly remarked that he must not be home because normally he skips to the loo everytime i potty. Since I've used prison potty before, I'm used to it.

Anyway I'm sitting on the poop deck and it sounds like a knock on one of the upstairs doors. I finished up the nothing shortly and eventually went to my peephole that I'm almost too short to see out of.

Well a paramedic was standing in unit #5 doorway where drug dealer Wilbur used to live and nosy Brian now resides. I was like, WTF (2nd ambulance here in 2 days) and all these firemen and paramedics came out and Brian had an oxygen bag on his face.

I think they were smoking the heroin Sunday, if that's what was going on in unit #4. Two different adjacent neighbors hauled off in ambulances in 2 days after I alerted locals re drugs here...

But the locals get to bill the guy's insurance, right? No incentive to clean these retards up..

#FuckingTiredofODingNeighbors

Nice, lol, my pathway to Imgur is now hacked, or else those useless asshats went the way of imageshack etc...

Gawd demmit the timing.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

P.s. photojournalism in Iraq was probably more "fun" for the press involved than WW crackhouse documentary. No kidding right?!?!?
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

P.p.s. newspaper apparently didn't cover the last incident at our house, they have the fire dept information minus documentation of the ambulance that showed up to our house a second day in a ROW... around 1:30am last night /this morning.

Jee, is Walla Walla embarrassed/hiding the sad reality that Yes, illicit drug users & dealers suck nuts & die messily? It would seem so!

Just like they wouldn't want us all to know what some of the teachers, landlords, churchgoers are up to... it's sick and wrong!

I won't miss that aspect of this city.

When the truth sounds like something from Twilight Zone, you know there's a problem.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

About 25 min ago, the moron in unit 4 who was carted away Monday morning via ambulance, well his drug courier came up and they smoked a substance while coughing heavily, then the associate left the building.

Unless he literally has cancer. .. why does "weed" cause such cough... because it's not just weed. Why does friend leave asap if it's not illegal. Many interesting questions considering potheads typically sit a while not hustle back down 1st Avenue.

The authorities don't give a sack of monkey shit because the golden child slumlord lays golden eggs.

In fact i smell zero weed unless unit #5 or me.. unit #4 does a different drug & I'm not impressed.
~William Cowper

Return to “General discussions”