HTML tutorial HTML tutorial

Farm Life

''Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.''
-Bruce Lee
Spiritwind

Re: Farm Life

Postby Spiritwind » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:31 pm

I haven't been able to corral myself into much writing as of late, but wanted to at least post pictures of Coco's kids which she finally had late Wednesday afternoon. I will try to muster up the self discipline to actually sit down and write out a post here soon. I seem to be fluctuating between too much energy and a need to be outside, or being too sleepy, tired, and such loud ear ringing I have to fight the urge to just curl up in a ball and sleep for ten years. I'm sure I'll eventually find that middle ground again (at least I hope so).

First one looking for the nipple.

Cutie Patooty!

Coco had a curious audience!

The colorful one standing up is the buckling she had, and the other two are girls.
I’m not myself today, maybe I’m you
lsthompson711@yahoo.com

Spiritwind

Postby Spiritwind » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:49 pm

It’s funny that extreme frustration is the actual motivation behind me writing an update for my Farm Life thread. Part of me wants to write, and the other part of me doesn’t. Part of me wants to just go to sleep, and forget about this world completely. I think I’ve already done that, plenty. I see so much going on “out there” that I don’t want to see, that sometimes even my little haven away from it all doesn’t cancel out my angst. “Resistance is futile”is the saying that keeps coming to mind. “Surrender” also comes to mind. Maybe others can move through it all so much easier than I can. I wish it was easier for me, I really do.

The mandatory vaccine with no exemptions law in California weighs heavily on my mind. All the censorship on social media I see being rolled out weighs heavily on me too. All the logging trucks and the neighbors down the road thinking that somehow cutting down all their trees for some quick cash is a good idea brings me pain too. We could cut down all our trees for some quick cash too, if I could live with myself afterwards (which I couldn’t). I try to numb it all out, push it away, out of my thoughts. Maybe I’m just going through withdrawals from running out of my hempworx CBD oil for several weeks. At almost $80 a pop (which gets used up in a month) it’s kind of steep when we have so many other things we want to do. And I’m just not much of a sales person. Almost everyone I know either does not want to spend the money, or simply doesn’t have it. I’ve noticed my hands are swelling up all the time again too : (

And yes, I am painfully honest here. There are not many places I can be, and if not here, then where? It’s not all bad, but might as well get what all is bothering me off my chest first. My current frustration has to do with trying to fix the milk stanchion so I can get the smaller, younger ones up there and trim their hooves without help. They can pull their head through, and I never finished fixing it properly. I did attach a piece of wood to the side, but need to take one side off to do it right. Of course, I didn’t (do that), and so I broke the drill bit. And the 2x2 split when I tried taking the screws out.

My husband is going to bring home a replacement 2x2, and some 3 inch bolts to attach the piece I need to fix it right. I hate asking him for help as I know he already works all day and is very tired by the time he comes home. It’s my own fault I let the frustration build to where I had to go spastic. In case you don’t know, I am now laughing at myself.

I know even our few posters here on the forum have probably grown bored with so little new content being posted, and I do wonder sometimes why I continue myself. I mean, I don’t get into politics, and those that do have such widely opposing views that probably can’t be reconciled even if they were willing to hash it out. That doesn’t mean they aren’t thinking about them though. There is much going on in the world to be concerned about, it’s true. And my forte is in things not easily seen, so don’t bother going there much. Very few probably “get” me. I want the character who wears the brown robe with the hood pulled over so you can’t see the face (there isn’t one, as far as I can tell) that pulls the strings from the unseen realms to basically just quit the bull shit, even though I know that’s not likely to happen. I can pull back from my complicity in the whole affair though, and not co-operate anymore. And don’t bother trying to guilt trip me, it isn’t going to work. I love myself too much now for that tactic to work.

Anyway, I write to preserve my sanity, to bring an element of normality into everyday life. When I get up, my animals needs are always first on my list of important things to pay attention to, and it does help ground me, even though I regularly receive unexpected curve balls.

I posted some pictures of Coco’s kids, which are all doing very well. They were born last Wednesday, on June 26th, exactly 146 days after her encounter with Raven. As you know, I thought she would kid probably at least a month before she did. And I have mentioned that little Karuna got knocked up too, but wasn’t sure when. I figured she wouldn’t kid for at least another month. Once again, I was about as wrong as wrong could be. My husband brought home my two grandsons, which are quite a handful all by themselves (especially when you aren’t used to it) on Saturday, 3 days after Coco kidded. We hung out inside for a short bit, and then we went out to see the goats. I noticed as I got down to the big pen where Karuna and the other Nigerians were, that she was laying down in an odd place and something didn’t seem right. I went in and realized that she was in LABOR!!!

My husband just about killed himself picking her up and carrying her to a pen for birthing. Even though she is small, she is very stout and compact. She didn’t seem to be dilating, although she was definitely having contractions. She seemed to calm down some after we moved her and gave her a lot of attention. My grandsons are like, wow, what’s happening?! And I am trying to figure out what our best course of action should be. It’s a late Saturday afternoon, and we definitely did not have the money for an emergency vet visit. After some time of realizing she probably was going to need help, and not knowing what to do, I contacted a goat friend who lived nearby. I figured the odds weren’t in our favor that she would even return my text. I did call on one of my favorite people (you know who you are) to energetically hold space and be there and was saying some prayers myself. And my goat friend surprisingly did get right back to me. We didn’t have anything appropriate for a lubricant, and so made the decision to load her up and drive her over to my goat friend’s home.

From here on out I will always keep a hefty supply of mineral oil on hand. Before we took Karuna over there all we could think of was to use some olive oil to stick a finger or two in her vagina to see what was happening. When I got to my friends she had her daughter bring out a gallon jug of mineral oil and put some in a small bowl, and then used a syringe to draw up about 4 ML at a time and insert it into her vagina, and using her other hand (with a surgical glove on) inserted two fingers to basically lubricate and help stretch out her cervix. She did this over and over for quite some time, while Karuna kept pushing and slowly moving her baby down the birth canal. She then let her rest for close to a half hour, having contractions on her own, then resumed the procedure. By then she could feel the baby’s head and one foot, although the sack had not broke yet. All this is going on with her still in the crate in the back of our car. And as far as I know, you won’t find this procedure in any book (it’s not in any of mine anyway).

We kept talking to Karuna, encouraging and cheering her on. Finally, she was able to feel the other foot, although still couldn’t quite grasp it. After several more contractions she managed to grasp the two hooves just after the sack broke, and while Karuna was pushing helped pulled the kid out. It was intense. Fortunately we have a rubber backing on the rug we have in the back of our SUV and she had her daughter bring out some towels, so not too big of a mess. And both mom and baby (and me) survived the ordeal. He’s a healthy little guy, and was surprisingly quite boisterous after such a traumatic arrival. This means that little Karuna got pregnant the same night Coco did, at just five months old. I never want to have this happen again. Bad Raven!

My grandsons got to see grandma in a panic. Needless to say, it was quite the weekend. And, as if that wasn’t enough, the ton of hay I got last week that was supposed to be dairy quality had so many weeds in it that the goats hate it. It’s full of cheap grass, and I woke up the next day after the birthing ordeal to find Firefly’s eye all infected. So we’ve been putting ointment in her eye, and gave her a series of three (every 48 hours) shots of antibiotics that just completed last night. It seems to be getting better.

And that pretty much catches me up on goat news. Other than that, the corn is growing good (and so are the weeds), the raspberries are almost ripe, and I have my first zucchini ready to pick in the garden. We actually had a few thunder storms roll through with some torrential rains accompanying them, which was wonderfully unexpected for this time of year. Usually they say it might happen and it doesn’t, or we hear the thunder but don’t get any substantial rain. And I actually managed to finally write a real post here. Will wonders never cease. Now I think I’ll go hang out with some baby goats.
lsthompson711@yahoo.com

maggie

Postby maggie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:55 am

Spiritwind wrote:
The mandatory vaccine with no exemptions law in California weighs heavily on my mind. All the censorship on social media I see being rolled out weighs heavily on me too. All the logging trucks and the neighbors down the road thinking that somehow cutting down all their trees for some quick cash is a good idea brings me pain too. We could cut down all our trees for some quick cash too, if I could live with myself afterwards (which I couldn’t). I try to numb it all out, push it away, out of my thoughts. Maybe I’m just going through withdrawals from running out of my hempworx CBD oil for several weeks. At almost $80 a pop (which gets used up in a month) it’s kind of steep when we have so many other things we want to do. And I’m just not much of a sales person. Almost everyone I know either does not want to spend the money, or simply doesn’t have it. I’ve noticed my hands are swelling up all the time again too : (

I check in from time to time and love your thread. beautiful goats. I love goats. I am so happy to be near animals and insects and am really lucky in my life. I just get hung up by being furious that others are being persuaded to hurt themselves. That is what I really believe and cannot stop being outraged that this is not seen as the horror that I see. But I have to stop because it is not healthy being so upset.

I have "almost farm" stories that make me happy. my dog Megan was in terrible pain from an old injury. I made an appointment that would take 10 days and I gave her DMG, CBD oil, PEMF (actipatch) therapy and she was just a little better. BUT the chiropractic adjustment really was amazing and she is all better. Now I know I just need to keep getting her adjustments.

This week I saw two tortoises and moved them to safer places. I have baby chickens. I had 9 hens and my rooster died and the hens were broody so i bought some outrageously expensive eggs (because they are lavender Americaunas (lay blue green eggs) and blue Cochins). Then only two of the former and three of the latter hatched. BUT I also bought some ordinary Americaunas eggs and 8 hatched. the Mama hens are sooo great. the biddies are getting bigger and are so much enjoying life. I think there are 5 roosters in the mix and I will be needing later to send some rooster to new homes as they fight if they don't have enough ladies to squire. I think they need about 5 each to be happy.

One night last week I found a gigantic beetle (2 i/2 inches) on my bed like these but a little bigger

and then a rhinocerous beetle was upside down on the floor...

and there are hundreds of lightning bugs this year. So I am thinking about what beetle energies I am needing. One thing is that i feel nothing but pleasure in all the creatures. there were rats at the old barn and I knew there were too many. It was awful because I did not wnat to poisone them. Right when I bought a trap that will electrocute them but had not used it yet, suddenly the huge numbers was now just a few. maybe they knew they had to leave? That was a relief as I don't want to kill anyone but cannot have that issue.

I did not plant a garden this year. I am buying local home grown but now I am aware of glyphosate, I know I need to garden here as this earth has NEVER had any poisons. The wild blackberries are just amazing this year. Where I live has had very moderate weather and just enough of everything sun and water.

I just wanted to respond as I love your posts. I wish I could live in community with people like you... that is my intention. So far I am still living like a sort of a hermit (and sort of a hedge witch but not groupified). I'd like to be with others who feel it is really important to be practically helpful but not cultish. Actually even a family of people can act to squelch people's freedom so I am a bit lonely for intimacy but solitary is OK too. It would drive me crazy to be living with people who would want to impose their agendas.

On the other hand,the way things seem to be going, I know we need community more than ever. Conundrums of togetherness. Love, Maggie

Spiritwind

Postby Spiritwind » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:45 pm

The Corn Patch on the 4th of July

Karuna and her little buckling, Miko - 2 days old

Wow, Maggie, a chiropractic adjustment made that much difference!? Thank you for posting. I guess I’ve been feeling quite isolated on the home front. Last year I was able to get out more, but this year transportation has been somewhat of an issue. So when I come here (the forum in general) and there is no one posting it only adds to my sense of isolation. I long for community, and yet like a carrot, it just never seems to get any closer. And I know I am not alone in this. It’s the nature of our world for many, surrounded by people, yet no sense of connection.

And, yes, it seems I am having to work harder these days to just be grateful that I get to live in an environment with so much to appreciate. That whole “I can’t stop being outraged” thing does not exactly serve me, but yet the struggle is real at times.

I love your sharing, even just the little things, as it is a potent reminder for me about what is really important. We haven’t got chickens yet, but it’s on the list. And bugs! Oh man, we are in bug paradise (or bug hell depending on how you look at it). I actually appreciate the bugs for the most part, except the biting ones. I know they are a good sign, really. In fact, my observation after having been here for a few years is that each year a different insect will be in the forefront in numbers. Last year it was the yellow jackets. They seemed out of control. Year before that it was the pine smelling beetles that were very numerous. This year we seem to have an extraordinary issue with mosquitos, with more getting inside and wanting to suck our blood than previous years. Not so many ticks, though.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a rhinoceros beetle. I am continuously fascinated by the forms nature takes. It blows my mind. And we have three cats, so it is interesting to observe all the evidence they leave behind about their killing sprees. I won’t do poison for anything, and we would be overrun by mice, rats, chipmunks, and ground squirrels, not to mention birds who love to eat my strawberries and raspberries, if it weren’t for these cats. But just the other day I went out and saw feathers from a small bird, a rats head, and a dead shrew (they don’t like to eat them) just walking down to the barn. It’s not like they are wiping any of these populations out, just keeping them in check. As the summer wears on, our gardens are the most living greenest, juiciest looking areas out here. In fact, the goats are even eating my valerian through the fence, and they didn’t touch it last year. I’ve got to maybe even put a second fence up so their long necks can’t reach everything.

I, too, long for a greater sense of community, and I’ve definitely noticed since I’m now into my 60’s how many of us are living very solitary lives. I do have friends, but they are still totally enmeshed in the system and have no time it seems. Always busy, and yet I often wonder why, for they are generally not happy. I should be ecstatically happy, living where I do, yet I do miss the joy that comes from working together with others, to accomplish goals, complete beneficial projects. It turns out I really don’t like to be alone all the time. So, I’m actually not sure what to do about it. I guess maybe I do need to spend some real time making a plan to get involved in something outside my tiny little life here that helps me alleviate my sense of loneliness that has set in so deeply as of late.

On the other hand, being around people who I have absolutely nothing in common with can be an equally unpleasant experience. Usually I can find something to talk about, but most of the folks that live on our little access road out here are not people I would enjoy hanging out with. My friend who I’ve known for over 40 years that lives up the road is an exception. But the other three near neighbors would be painful to spend time with. We are kind of the odd ones out, living in our 5th wheel with composting toilet, and using generators and solar for power, and our stinky goats and all. I’m not sure who the snob is, LOL. They have nice big homes, no interest in even adorable baby goats, gardening, and definitely unable to contemplate the spiritual side of life.

They drive by us and won’t even make eye contact. They are into weed free big green lawns, and the one neighbor who was spraying a weed killer on the side of the road even blithely told us when we questioned him that what he was using was completely safe, because, you know, the experts say it is. The young neighbors right next to us are an odd mixture of gotta have it all now (even if the bank owns everything they have and they are just a paycheck away from not having what they have) and in a hurry all the time (they’ve almost run my husband off the road several times). And the third set of neighbors down the road came from California and bought their home for way more than it was worth and found they could not sell it when they wanted to. They quit trying to sell it, and now, with all the people moving into the area (many also from California) probably are glad they didn’t sell it now. And the big home a mile or so down the road that set empty for quite a few years because they were selling it for way too much finally just sold. Quite a few older folks who have been waiting for the opportunity to sell their homes quickly for a profit out here are finally moving on. It’s a strange mix of new people coming in that have a different value system, and other folks ready to downsize and move to the city leaving. And we’re the hillbilly’s in the middle of it all, LOL.

It’s a good thing I don’t care too much what anyone thinks of me anymore. But it would be nice to have more in common with those who live around us. Funny thing is, if there was some kind of natural or unnatural situation that came our way out here, we would probably be the only ones who could respond without going into a complete panic mode. I do wonder sometimes if there isn’t a deeper reason why spirit has worked things out this way, with so many who actually are of like mind in our perceptual category spread out all over the planet, with many of us feeling quite isolated. For now, my best friends are in different countries and we would be lost without things like Skype and Zoom. Even though I have issues with technology, I do fully recognize the benefits of some of it, for sure! I do like the weather app and ability to get mileage and directions for destinations so easily on my phone.

I wasn’t even planning to write this much. My plan was to respond to your post, Maggie, and post a couple pictures. But I guess I’ve finally run out of words for now. One of the reasons I keep posting here is because I know there are a few out there who also want to be more connected, but maybe just don’t know what to do either. Some of them actually read here from time to time. It kind of holds a place on the internet, the only one where I can be truly myself without having anyone try to shut me down, or shut me up. Maybe I’ll get lucky and strike up a conversation with someone delightful next time I’m in the grocery store. Maybe I need to get a job (besides the one I already have) just so I can get out of my little rut, LOL. People really do need people.
lsthompson711@yahoo.com

Return to “Express yourself”