Our Reaction to Death

''Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.''
-Bruce Lee
Naga_Fireball

Our Reaction to Death

Post by Naga_Fireball »

It is amazing that even among the various professions of modern (and ancient!) Humans, the many contrasting attitudes toward death are colorfully depicted and recorded in fixed detail, almost like a living Tarot.

Some professions cater to the bringers of violent death. Others cater to the notion of death being a mercy. The profession of nurses, on the other hand, contains a frighteningly wide spectrum of attitudes toward death. Some try to fight it. Others make it bearable. Some troubled few actively hasten it, and others cause it.

Some professions exist in denial of the notion of permanent death, such as, perhaps, religious orders and maybe certain aspects of the military. The paranormal community seems to in general possess an underpinning need for confirmation of life after death.

Other organizations, correct me if I'm wrong, but certain Saturnine groups such as perhaps the Masonic orders, seem to dabble in spiritism yet obsess a wee bit on the importance of getting one's business done Before death occurs. Of course many religious uninitiated folk are counting on making up for present mistakes in some wonderfully Idyllic afterlife.

But I personally do find it interesting, the various attitudes among humans, the codes and lack of codes of honor, the many petty rules of engagement and the chaos that occasionally breaks through into the public view from the shadows.

Some people live their entire lives not really facing their fear of extinction and just hope and count on it happening to others.

Some do the opposite and engage in death defying behaviors.

Others are overtly self damaging and suicidal, but maybe less risky than the previous two groups. Making them very cowardly indeed, but many find themselves asking the question at some point in life.

My advice? It's a god damned tragedy, death, but don't take it personally. Don't let it take what's left. And you can be defiant and use your energy to resist it, like the sword master in the HBO series Game of Thrones tells the little Stark girl, "What do we say to Death when we meet him? We say, 'Not today'."

It is an almost quantum problem, really, this sad and heart wrenching juxtaposition of memory, feelings, and the sudden and irrevocable loss of the source of those things. It is an endless knot with no solution except to hope that Death is not the end of our journey, but merely a door into whatever lies beyond. Until we find ourselves faced with that crossroads, we ought to walk in the grass for as long as we can.

No need to worry about which path to take when there is so much frontier, so much wilderness, so much to be discovered.

There is so much in our small lives worth loving, and we have so little time.

The irony of our lives, we spend many idle moments some of us, reflecting on the wish for life to end, but when we actually spy the end of that road coming nearer, we roll our eyes away from the sight, like a wild horse, and try to deny that probably inevitable end.

We look back at the last second, and we see our lifetime in that moment that transcends time. We Know that we transcend it, every day, but we are so afraid to really embrace the totality of what that means.

Dance of Death, also called Danse Macabre (from the French language), is an artistic genre of late-medieval allegory on the universality of death: no matter one's station in life, the Dance of Death unites all.

The Danse Macabre consists of the dead or personified Death summoning representatives from all walks of life to dance along to the grave, typically with a pope, emperor, king, child, and labourer.

They were produced as mementos mori, to remind people of the fragility of their lives and how vain were the glories of earthly life.[1]

Its origins are postulated from illustrated sermon texts; the earliest recorded visual scheme was a now-lost mural in the Saints Innocents Cemetery in Paris dating from 1424 to 1425.

It really matters not who was rich, poor, ruler or slave, in the end it is all one.

Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Anders

Re: Our Reaction to Death

Post by Anders »

My new reaction to death is that I plan to avoid death, either through conscious evolution or through future technology. In the past I believed death was inevitable. Then when I heard Ray Kurzweil talking about curing death it blew my mind. Then what if my plan fails? Then I die. So my belief adds uncertainty to a previous certain way of thinking about death. That's fine for me because I can use uncertainty deliberately in mindfulness practice, but I understand that some people may feel uncomfortable about thinking of death as something uncertain. The idea of certain death is so extremely deeply ingrained in our psyche and has been confirmed again and again for millions of years. But still, don't underestimate the power of exponential progress! We are at a point in human history where some things start to change very fast.
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

I hope that for some people, that is true.
Whatever the truth is, Anders, don't fear it. For some, finally seeing & realizing the truth of life & death is what liberates that person from the fear of it.

When you reach the point where you have tried so hard to survive, to prove yourself on this earth, that death's power pales and releases your mind from its grasp even though you still struggle with it, you will no longer see it as the terrible, terrible enemy.

For the scholarly man, it is true, that death can be a prematurely unfortunate end to the Work. The same is true to friends and family, often. But to the explorer, the adventurer, the psychonaut, the slave, the seer, Death is a great and beautiful mystery, the spice of life, and some people do have experiences that are difficult to explain without accepting some form of afterlife.

You know, Anders, the Wicked are afraid of life after death. Very few of the movie villains go on and on about wanting to get there. But the hero does his thing whether or not death is watching, because he trascends it merely by being who he is.

Transhumanism is probably not preventable. I'm sure the transition will be hard and some will struggle against it, like the action group in the Johnny Depp movie, Transcendence. Hopefully life will take on a more serious mission when people choose eternal life.

Sadly, humans tire of absolutes, and we even tire of provenance and peace. Because struggle with the elements is what causes the seed to grow. Like Jesus said, approximately, the seed is first buried and dies before it grows into the plant it came from.

The topic was not intended to be disturbing, it was more for Twitter people to think about, but I really do appreciate your viewpoint because it is an undeniable goal of modern science.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Today Anders, I was thinking about what you said.

When my father died, I was about 24 or 25. It was absolutely devastating.

While he was alive, i was amazed by his knowledge but not necessarily his choices. He started appearing in my dreams, only a few times, but it seemed if anything he had gotten more intelligent. In fact it was almost like he was doing a part time job delivering messages before moving on to the afterlife proper.

... strange stuff, certainly.

I was actually more "sad" when i found the obituary of my best teacher in high school, Lynda B Jordan of Austin TX. She'd died of cancer after founding a program for gifted and talented children.

My dad produced some of the highest performing kids that program had seen. But if i had to judge between the two people, it would be so very difficult.

Our character only goes so far, we also need opportunity.
Some do seem to waste their opportunities.

If you are ambitious and believe in this transhumanism, it is possible you are a visionary and pioneer.

Unfortunately visionaries and pioneers exist on both ends of the political spectrum thanks to extremism, and people fight wars over their definition of a decent life!

Truly a predicament.
~William Cowper

Return to “Express yourself”