Farm Life

''Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.''
-Bruce Lee
Sandy Clark

Re: Farm Life

Post by Sandy Clark »

Thanks to excellent plumbers I now have a working furnace, thawed water lines and waiting on a part for the hot water heater unit..and only 1400.00 bucks so far without the hot water heater bill yet.............may have to offer an arm or a leg WOW the cost of doing business today is unreal and of course a Saturday is double time for sure!!

Definitley happy to say goodbye to 2017 and looking forward to smoother sailing for 2018. My wishes for you too Spiritwind and as a matter of fact for ALL not only here on EE but everywhere............I think we all could use a break these days...so with that

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND MAY 2018 BE THE BEST ONE YET <3
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

I would love a visit to a snowy mountain clime ... The irony of sitting under a clear sky with sunshine that I would miss the cold so much. I wish we had hover crafts too and could zip from here to there in a heart beat... and no passport needed either.

Warm cheers!

The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Today was the big day for our dog, Misha's, surgery to get spayed. Our neighbor came down and helped my husband pick her up and carry her over to the vehicle and put her in. She really is some piece of work, this dog, all 110 pounds of her. Yes, she's gained since the last visit. It did go a little easier this time, as she wasn't as terrified, but still seriously resisting. This time they just took a sheet and kind of wrapped it around her belly and picked up her back end and drug her in the door.

As I strongly suspected, there was something else going on with her. We'll get the results tomorrow from the culture they took from her urine, which wasn't normal at all. She definitely has an infection of some kind, and they found an ear infection to boot! So, somehow I am supposed to keep her activity to a minimum, and supposedly not let her out except on a leash. That's laughable. We did make a spot up under the front of the fifth wheel where we enclosed it for her, made a nice comfy bed with food and water, and made a small pen around it for her to go potty. That way Ranger, our other dog, can't get her all excited. Keeping her inside is a definite no go. These dogs have extremely thick fur and except on the coldest days actually lay right out in the snow like its no big deal. They have a lot more trouble with the heat in the summer.

And we're supposed to put this medicine in her ear twice a day too. When I looked at the vet like, that ain't happening, he said if you at least do it once a day real good, she should do fine. That ought to be interesting. She spent about a half hour trying to find a way to get out, and is now finally settling down, so that is a good sign. The vet did say her uterus was flaccid. I'm glad we finally got this done for her and hope the worst is behind us. After reading the astrological forecast for this year I'm thinking I made the right decision not to breed any of the goats this last fall. Something tells me this next year is going to hold some surprises and that will at least be one less stress.

This next year is going to be all about painting, roofing, and making other improvements to the animal shelters and pens. I suspect a lot of effort will go into improving our gardening projects. This will also give me time to switch the goats to non GMO grain for a period of time before breeding them. So we more than have our work cut out for us. It's funny, when people know you have animals for some reason they always seem to think you wouldn't mind having more. Last fall I had someone offer me some free goats, and my husband's sister tried to give us one last year too. Now I have someone offering me a free buckling, a pair of mated Chinese geese, and three large white male turkeys. Which I don't need any of. Someone I sold some goats to last year though wants the free buckling and might even take the birds. I wouldn't mind a few chickens but not until at least late spring, and maybe not even this year. I really don't want more than I can handle and I'm kind of at my max right now.

In fact, I might even decide to cut back more. Not that I want to, but being mentally prepared to do whatever I need to to adapt to change is always wise. One thing that is guaranteed in life, is that things will change. Nice when it goes according to special laid plans, but as we all know, life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans. Best to not get too attached to any outcomes these days. Though I admit, being an aquarian like I am I tend to only embrace change I consciously choose, LOL. And, yes, I have a lot of fixed signs so I can be rigidly stubborn. Always something to work on, eh?
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I'm looking out the window trying to psych myself up to get out there. It's hovering just above freezing and raining hard. My least favorite to go out and feed in. It is strange though, that no matter what the weather I always feel better once I'm outside. I notice that the goats aren't coming out either, but then they really are fair weather friends.

I found out something about a week or so ago, before this warm up. The goats absolutely love warm, even hot, water in the winter time. They'll suck it right down as soon as it's not too hot. I figured, well, the horse might like that too and it would help melt the ice in her water bucket. Then I might not even have to change it out. So I poured a bunch of steaming hot water onto the ice in her bucket. She walked over with a mouth still full of hay and tried to take a drink. About midway she realized it was hot, and drooled it all back into the bucket, hay slime and all. Yuck! So I would deduce from this that horses do not like warm water, even in the coldest weather.

I don't really have much new and exciting to write about, but feel like I want to write anyway. Just mundane everyday life. I like it though, because I have more freedom to order my day's activities that I have ever had. When I don't get something done it's nobody's fault but my own. But a perfect opportunity to work on my own tendencies to procrastinate on things I don't particularly relish doing. That's probably why I feel like writing now, that procrastination thing.

It's somewhat gratifying to know that no matter how entrenched a certain track and pathway is, you know, the road more traveled, that with enough effort you can change your direction. Knowing this has actually strengthened my resolve and trust in myself. And that's not a bad thing at all. Every single day I get the opportunity to choose how and where to focus my attention and energy, to create and engage in activities I know will produce good fruit.

You know, you can even take a mediocre apple tree, and graft another much better tasting and producing type to it, and, wallah, the tree can be transformed no matter what it had to start with. And we can choose to graft on more beneficial limbs to our tree as well. Pretty soon, with loving care, we can grow only good fruit. Exciting to think about. And I do feel energized just thinking about working on this land and literally transforming it into what I feel is sacred and even more radiant, as it responds to the focused intention of love and nurturing. We can create our temples and holy ground anywhere we find ourselves. Isn't that amazing?!

I am going to go out with the dowsing rods soon and see if I can identify where the underground streams are and which way they run. For some reason, I know it's important to know this, in working with the land. I have had fun in the past dowsing mine, others, and even trees energy fields, and how we can expand that with our focused intentions. I'm guessing that in the past there were those who could feel the water running under their feet, no matter how deep. I've always found it interesting how animals, if not otherwise restrained, will know to seek higher ground when there is an impending tsunami. I also think we can re-awaken this ability in ourselves. But me just a rambling away here, trying to get out of work, hahaha.

On a more farm related note though, I've worked it out to where I am taking one of my bucks over to breed with some goats I sold last year, and at the same time going to pick up this buckling and birds for some other folks I sold goats to. I know they will give us a big break when we need to use their front loader this spring, so it all works out. And the two does I thought must have gotten pregnant by Raven did not turn out to be so. In a way, that's kind of a relief, because now I don't feel pressured to be ready for the event, and I can focus on other things. On the other hand, it would have been nice to know that Raven can produce offspring and I was kind of excited to see what would happen there. For the first time, this year I don't feel like I need to make any drastic changes. I don't and won't have the stress of needing to sell a few, and that's a huge relief after last year. Time to just take a big breath and let it out slow. Why do I feel the tide is out and getting ready to come back in. You know, the small window of time between ebb and flow. I imagine I'll find out.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

This was truly a wild day. Went and trimmed Bod Dean's hooves, so he's ready to go visit his harem for three weeks tomorrow, and got the barn ready for the buckling. He'll be going in with Raven while Bob is gone, and then moving on to his new home.

That was all the easy part. My son in law's grandmother had a rough year, with many family members and herself having some major health issues to contend with. I know all too well how it feels, when you are laid up and just can't give them your usual care and attention. I had already agreed to take back Coco, Firefly's daughter I sold her two years ago, and her daughter, one pregnant for sure and the other one probably. The other doe, Carmel, very pregnant, her daughter, and the two older does wethered boys are going to the folks who took the three orphaned kids I had last summer (by the way, Romeo is still tiny and cute as a button). They also took the pair of Chinese geese, and going back for the turkeys and a couple of roosters.

The thing is, none of these goats are that tame and they were in a good sized fenced area with lots of room to run, and get away from you, or run in a circle, or even run through your legs. Round and round and round we went, with 5-6 of us, for quite some time. They did manage to catch the very pregnant Miss Carmel first, and got her in the back of their vehicle. Coco and her daughter proved to be a lot more challenging. I did get ahold of her daughter, Arrow, once, but then her collar came off over her head. The woman who was giving them to us went for a toss. The snow was actually appreciated on this occasion. Finally I grabbed like a football tackle and we both went on the ground, but I had her and we got the leash on her. Whew.

The little buckling wasn't as bad, since he's only 9 months old. His name is Harper and he has one horn. I had just a week before taken the rubber mat we had in the back of the vehicle and washed it off with bleach and soap. Miss Misha had peed on the way home from the vet and it reeked pretty good. And now it does again : )

The good news is that Coco, although kind of wild, DOES remember me, and calmed right down and let me give her some reassurance without trying to get away. And she started eating right away once we put her in with Danae and Lily. Since those two ended up not being pregnant I had enough room to put both Coco and her daughter in with them. It seemed to put Arrow at ease much quicker too. And she's a cutie! I try very hard to consider the bonds they have formed with each other, and often do try to keep mother/daughter pairs together.

I have finally been able to let Misha out of her mini prison. I did that yesterday and couldn't figure out why she was acting so strangely. I followed her down to the hay barn and saw what looked like a torn up blanket on the ground in the snow not far away. I had another thought about what it could be and as I got closer realized it was a half eaten carcass of a very young deer. Ranger went over to it and went from being his usual cutesy roll over on his back lovable self to this ominous looking carnivore protecting what he thought was his. Misha immediately backed off and I decided to wait a day, until we removed and disposed of the carcass, before letting her out again. She was much more at ease, and so was Ranger, the next day after we got rid of it, so I'm guessing that was a good move. Didn't need them getting into a fight the day I let her out. And she seems to have healed up very well, I am happy to say. Probably the best she's felt in a long time.

So, we're going to have baby goats this year after all. And Coco has her mother's udder, yippie!
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

It's strange how writing actually helps me gather my thoughts, helps me to see where my focus should be. I'm sitting here now, with stiff and sore muscles from goat wrangling the other day, and probably gathering and chopping wood the next day. I'm dreaming of my future bath-house, and how wonderful it will be to just soak my aching muscles in a salt water and lavender oil bath.

I'm thinking about, strangely, our hearts. I went over to TOT for a peak and saw that Maggie had posted some interesting videos about our hearts, and how it is developing a fifth chamber (would thank you over there, but I'm not a member anymore). I find this information very intriguing. Here is the link:

https://jandeane81.com/showthread.php/7 ... t-of-Power" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm putting this here, in the Farm Life thread, because everything I do is about strengthening that heart field. Yes, even tending farm animals and working in the forest. In fact, I would say it's easier out here, with little outside distractions, to be in a place where my heart is able to stay open and trusting, and I do cultivate that. I have indeed noticed how our hearts can generate an expanding field of energy that seems very powerful. I speculate that if powered up enough, we could almost blast off to anywhere/when we want to go. And I would venture a guess that the earth being an anagram of heart, maybe that IS why we come here in embodied form, to learn how to expand and grow our hearts. And maybe it is the Earth herself who has made this experience possible. For if we can learn to do it here, where duality and such a lack of heart centered authority figures is the norm, then we can take this knowing with us anywhere we can even imagine going.

I know I have made it part of my life's goal, having recognized the energetic nature of everything. To me, nothing is really inanimate, for it is still all energy "choosing" to remain in a seemingly solid form. When I tend to my animals and gardens I never see this duality shining out from their countenances. It is only in the world of humans that I see such conflicted energies emanating from their demeanor. I used to be much more conflicted myself, but have learned not to be afraid to take out my shadows as I run across them and expose them to the light of day. Funny how they always change shape and form when I do that, and lose their potency. But this process has also caused me to feel great compassion for my fellow man.

You see, when we take animals out of their natural environment, they become completely dependent on us, their caretakers, to provide for all their needs. They become accustomed to this to the point where often many could not survive in the wild anymore. In a way, something is lost in the bargain. Although I know I could not just set my animals free and expect them to survive, I could eventually with subsequent breedings where they could relearn how to survive without humanities interference. I often wonder if what happened to us followed a similar trajectory. People forgot how to take care of themselves due to a domesticating force that came to exploit us for a purpose different than our creators original intention. Anyway, here I am rambling on and on again. Can't seem to help myself.

Part of it is because I have children, and I see them struggling with the system that has no heart. And they do have heart, so it is often a painful experience for them. I can't really help them, for I know they have to learn to help themselves. Still, knowing there is nothing I can say or do to "make it better" for them is hard as a mother. I wonder if the Earth/Heart feels much the same way. Each person has to find the door to that inner chamber all by themselves. We can encourage and support in various ways, but it is still an inside job and personal choice.

At least with my animals I can make their lives as comfortable as possible, and try not to get in over my head with it all. Sometimes I have to make difficult choices, but then, don't we all. It makes me think of several cat ladies I have known (and some of us aren't that far away, LOL). I had a lady who used to come through my checkout line when I was a grocery checker many years ago who everyone called the cat lady. No one wanted to wait on her because she always smelled so bad. All her small income went to caring for these unwanted cats to the point where she probably didn't even have the money to wash her own clothes. Strangely though, after a couple years I noticed that she didn't smell anymore and seemed to be doing much better. Someone, somewhere along the line, did see what she was doing and decided to help, rather than judge. What a great idea! I'm starting to wonder if some of us really are angels in disguise.

I can and do see why some choose to shut their hearts down. I have opened myself up too wide and been bitten badly in the process. But, I learned from it. I choose to still trust, but a little more cautiously now. I even seen people who loved someone deeply in their youth, and when it didn't work out, they shut down, sometimes for the rest of their life. It makes me sad when I see this. As humans, it is one of our greatest assets, if only we knew. Our hearts, our emotions, our ability to feel. I would never want to shut that down entirely, for that is what DOES make us human, in my mind.

I guess I blabbed on long enough. I have a couple pictures to post. The one with the little one horned buckling is the only picture you will see of him with his horn. It was actually a scur, that grows back when the dehorning wasn't done quite right. This often happens with the boys because theirs are much thicker and harder to do. And if you wait just a little too long this commonly happens. I put him in with my other little guy, Raven, and should have thought about it a bit more. Not sure what I would have done anyway, because he can't be left alone. But, they got into butting heads and when we went to feed them that evening I found him with no horn and a big bloody mess. They actually can bleed out when this happens, but fortunately it had clotted up already. We washed the blood off a bit and packed some triple antibiotic ointment in there and he is looking okay now with no more bleeding. I definitely have to get myself a big container for all my goat medical needs. I couldn't find the bag balm, which we would have used to apply with the antibiotic ointment as it helps keep in on there longer and kind of packs the wound. I'll have to keep a close eye for a few days.

Coco and her daughter, Arrow, are both doing great though. And it's about time for me to pull myself away from here and get ready to go out and feed everyone. At least it's not as dark and gloomy looking out there today. I admit, I am a person who loves the sun. I got my seeds out yesterday, to take stock of what I have, and plan on starting tomatoes. If you don't start them early enough here, you end up with plants full of green tomatoes about the time of the first frost. I probably am envisioning far more than I can pull off this year, but it doesn't hurt to think big. Since almost all the corn nowadays is GMO I want to grow some corn this year that I can actually eat. I love corn, and I almost don't eat it anymore because of what has been done to it commercially. And I definitely have to beef up the fences to keep the goats out this year. Yes, they can climb the side of a hill quite well. I will try to stay ahead of it this year. I'll let you know how it goes : )

Harper

Coco Puff and her daughter, Arrow
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

No, I'm sorry, you can't have my mind. That's my thought as I sit in my usual morning reverie. I had dinner with some friends the other day and the subject of Sophia (the world's 1st robot citizen), the 5G rollout, chemtrails, and a multitude of other related topics were discussed. I don't have many friends here locally with which I can have these types of talks, so it was a blur of conversation that went by too quickly! I can't remember now where I saw it (Big LOL, I know where I saw it now, Christine's post on this thread viewtopic.php?p=10878#p10878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but this morning showed my husband the picture of Zuckerberg with a funny looking headset on gleefully claiming how everyone will soon have the opportunity to plug into the virtual reality experience and how wonderful and beneficial that will be.

So, our cat is in heat and just jumped on my key board and wiped out a big chunk of what I just wrote. Big frowny face on that one!

I was writing about how humanity is splitting into two distinct branches of reality, one following the pied piper into some never never land with their headsets on, and the other becoming even more melded with nature, much like the Nox from the Stargate SG1 TV series. I know which branch of that tree limb/root (as above, so below) I'm taking. And I do feel on some level each and every one of us will be given a choice.

Maybe I will put this in the farm life thread, because once again, everything is connected to everything else. Our cat is in heat because since we took the dog to the vet we had to wait on getting her spayed. We were hoping nature would wait just a little bit longer. But she is 10 months old, the days are getting longer, and that old biological imperative just had to kick in. I haven't been around a cat in heat in a good many years. I can tell you that I don't care if I have to rob a bank, that cat is going in to get fixed as soon as she comes out of it. I read that they just keep cycling through with it lasting anywhere from 1-10 days, and every few weeks even. Definitely not doing that!

And, no, I don't want to experience life as if in a video game. My concept of reality has changed dramatically over the years, and, as we discussed at dinner the other night, many are coming to realize just how malleable and influenced by our thoughts and actions reality is. We do, each of us, live in our own little bubbles.

It was kind of funny, because our friends consist of a younger quite aware couple and the young man's mother. She, like myself, has been a student of all that is esoteric with a very similar interest in astrology. So her and I were all over the place, while my husband talked more practical about our solar and building projects to the kids (he's quite the story teller too!). Not really kids, but being older adults with kids their age we can't help but refer to them as such. But they have a rare understanding of where we are headed and a good pulse on the younger generations of today. Since he was home schooled he has considerably less signs of the heavy indoctrination inflicted by our public school systems, and can actually think for himself. Quite refreshing, I must say.

They understand, though, this need of our times, to learn and be able to straddle two worlds at once, as the past and the future are crashing like waves on a shoreline. In a way, it is the question of the ages. What kind of world/reality do we want to live in? Clearly, we do not all answer this question in the same way. And, how do we accommodate that? No real answers, but something to ponder on. I do get a glimmer of images of rows of people who don't even need physical (biological) bodies to experience life, will willingly give that up for the "virtual reality" experience and be first in line to receive that micro-chip and head set.

Personally, I haven't got all that I can from the very physical experience of having a body and being able to interact in this world with all that it has to offer. But then, it does come down to motivation and intent. I know I am a spirit being, and also see this as an opportunity to grow that spirit into something more expanded and beautiful. The human experience offers the opportunity to take the fast lane in regards to spiritual growth, if one so chooses. I'm not saying that I know a robot, a synthetic non-biological entity, cannot do so. But I get the distinct feeling that those who are developing these technologies are not motivated by anything resembling a spiritual purpose. But there is that free will thing again.

In my care of farm animals I have come to see the human predicament with greater clarity. For I have no doubt that our capacity for consciousness is in some way a commodity for other beings. We find it difficult to imagine ourselves as likewise being farmed by something that views us as no more than a product to be bought and sold. The same mind set that sees the whole planet as a resource to be exploited. The same mind set that sees nothing wrong with killing the last wild anything, and thinks factory farming is a great idea. It's not at all difficult for me to see. They did indeed "give us their mind".

In the end, though, it's what we do with it that matters, or at least will decide the direction our souls' journey takes, and with whom. Personally, I'd rather travel with my animals friends more than most humans.

Whew, I feel better getting that all off my chest!

The sun is shining as I write, and a major storm is predicted to hit later on today. I'm quite happy with our progress this last weekend. We aren't feeling so pressured, and basically just cut and chopped more wood. We will have to do that every week until it warms up since we didn't have it all in before winter hit. We did have several big piles of logs with tarps over them, so at least we didn't have to trudge through the woods in knee deep snow all winter. But we'd still rather have it mostly in before the snow flies. We also fixed up the divider in the barn to get it ready for when Coco finally kids. Not knowing exactly when they got pregnant makes it hard to predict. In fact, our friends who took some of the other goats are on baby watch. For the last three days they've thought it was immanent. I have to kind of chuckle, cause I can't tell you how many times I have also been there with these goats. It's their first time though, so I understand the added stress of not knowing what to expect, or when. I've been keeping my phone handy.

My husband also helped me trim some of the younger girls hooves since their necks are still too skinny to put them on the milk stand. I want to figure out how to make it work, but haven't come up with a good idea yet. Out of 14 goats I only have 4 left to do. When their hooves are wet from the snow it's actually much easier to do, and if I get in the routine of keeping it up it won't become the high pressure "got to get it done" it usually does. Plus, I'm not planning to get sick for a full month like I did last year. I am coming to realize there is a big energetic component to getting ill, and am learning to be more mindful. I know it's no guarantee, but health is more than just a physical thing.

In fact, I plan to continue to do a lot more work, energetically, with the land here. Every single day that goes by I am thankful for where we are. I have wanted this my whole life, and had to go through a lot of challenge to get here. In fact, both of us did, my husband included. Not many would go to the lengths we did, but all I can say is, yes, it was worth it! Just the other day someone asked my husband if our power was out where we are. I can almost see the satisfied look he must have had when he reminded her that we are not hooked up to the power company. If all goes well we will be able to run every thing we need except the well pump without a generator. We're half way there! And I can't tell you how happy I am to know that we will also have milk and cheese that I don't have to feel bad about drinking and eating!

Maybe we'll even get lucky and figure out some kind of root cellar to store produce in this year too. Lots of potatoes, carrots, beets, onions, and winter squash are going to be planted this year. Just need a good place to store them so they will last. Heck, even cheddar cheese (which is next on my list of things I want to learn how to do), can keep for ten years if stored right. All of these things lesson our need to rely on the system, and help us to become more independent. If we all did this, maybe all these bureaucratic parasites will just start slinking/slithering into the background. If we quit buying their crap, that's a good first step. And at least for now, many of us still have a choice. I'd grab it while you can!
Blue Rising

Post by Blue Rising »

I just wanted to say thank you.

Much Love,
Do not fashion me a maiden who needs saving from the dragons. I am the Dragon. And I will eat you whole.
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I mentioned something in another thread about a current happening in our life. Briefly, our neighbor allowed a third cousin of a friend of his that lives down the road to park his bus on his property for what was to be a short time. Months went by and then fall came. This person with the bus was repeatedly given a key to the gate that was here on the access road until just a short time ago. This was despite the fact that our neighbor had instructed his friend to accompany his cousin whenever he needed to come up here to where his bus is parked. When fall came and the weather turned cold, my neighbor's friend down the road made his girlfriend give the guy an ultimatum to leave. So, he comes up to where his bus is located, tells our neighbor and friend that he just needs a couple days to get the parts for his pickup, and then he would be moving on. That was almost 4 months ago.

We had made it clear from the beginning that something exactly like this was going to happen if our neighbor did not assert himself early on. His strategy was to try and get the "girlfriend" of his neighbor to come up and tell the guy to leave, somehow thinking that he responds better to women. I think he was even hoping I would take care of it for him. For, our friend talks big talk, but is actually unable to respond to conflict, other than to withdraw, and ignore. He did tell the guy that we had dogs that were here to protect our goats, and that he shouldn't let his dog run around freely. He told him this several times. One day the dog followed our neighbor down here, and our dogs attacked it. Then, they started to go up the road to, I'm sure in their mind, get rid of the threat as they see it. If we keep them locked up even at night, our animals are left very vulnerable.

Well, the other day my neighbor was plowing out our driveway for us. I was busy doing something else and heard the dogs sound like they were tearing something up so ran around to see what was happening. I saw this guy standing by our neighbor's pickup with what looked like a large hunting or butcher knife in his hand. I didn't find out until the next day what had really transpired. It turns out he had walked down with his dog, onto our property, with the express purpose of enticing our dog to attack his, and then kill him with the knife. (Yes, we do let them out during the day while we're out there). This guy was booted out of where he lived in his bus last year because of partying with a neighbor, getting into a ruckus, and slicing the guys face open with a knife. It was ruled self defense, but it gives you an idea of his character.

My husband called the sheriff, but we both agreed I should do the talking. I am generally more diplomatic in these situations, as his natural instinct, and the fact that he had some pretty intensive training while in the military, predisposes him to behave quite primal and protective. So the incident is on record now, and the officer said he would try and have a talk with the guy. He doesn't have a phone so not sure how that is going to happen unless he comes out here, which it didn't sound like they want to do. I told him that if my husband had been home and this had happened, it probably would not have had a good ending. And I asked him about what if he comes back again. He told me to call 911 and a sheriff would be dispatched. And, then I asked about if my husband was home and this occurred. He told me that a man has a right to defend himself on his own property. And that all left me with such a warm and fuzzy feeling. I feel so safe now. And yes, that is dripping with sarcasm!

I have spent the last few days flip flopping between feeling perfectly normal, and then not so much. Both my husband and I have had to work through what this has triggered in us. He is now worried about going to work and leaving me at home. If I don't answer the phone when he calls he has threatened to leave work to come home and make sure I'm all right. I've had to reassure him that this isn't how it's going to go down, and he needs to have more faith in me and my ability to handle things. I learned a long time ago, I am not willing to live my life in fear. But, it still has affected me. I am more on alert. We'd like to think the guy isn't stupid enough to actually try a repeat, but then I can't really depend on that. And our neighbor has been avoiding us. I think he even unplugged his phone and made sure he wasn't home when he thought the sheriff might come out.

I have often wondered what makes someone so fearful. I have seen it happen over and over. It especially gets me when I hear people talking about how tough they are, and what they will do if blah blah, and then see them cower and run when shit hits the fan.
Now, I will walk away from a conflict, if I think there is a better solution. And sometimes letting my husband handle things is the right answer. But I really don't want to have to visit him in an orange jumpsuit behind bars, either. It's also interesting to think about how our government takes certain individuals they think show promise, give them special training, and basically make effective killers out of them. I know first hand how hard it is for some to adjust to civilian life later on. Even at his age, his reflexes still reflect those many years of training.

I finally took myself to task last night, and decided that several days of upheaval was enough. I will go on about my life, and not give any more energy to this situation, other than what is absolutely necessary. And I will not be afraid, for me, my husband, or my animals. It's a beautiful day shaping up outside, and I'll deal with things as they are actually there for me to deal with. You see, this is how trauma messes up our lives. It took me a bit, but my knowing, when I get the monkey mind to shut up, is that it is a CHOICE! And that is what I keep harping on. Over and over. Like I told my husband, at least we know if thinks get weirder than weird with world events, enough to affect us right where we live, then we know that we basically can count on each other, and that's about it. We really are on our own. Of the four neighbors on this road, everyone of them, except maybe the younger couple that moved in right next to us, will be useless if something real should actually occur that requires decisive and quick action. Everyone one of them will most likely be hiding in the closet, shaking with fear. And that is part of the reason we are where we are, collectively.

And I'm not saying I never feel fear, for I most certainly do. But that something, much like what Fred referred to on my other thread, wells up in me and refuses to submit. I know this, for when a child growing up I always fought back when my father would revert to his cave man mentality. It was a natural instinct, and actually probably even made things worse for me. But I will not go down without a fight. I only wish the masses could see that we are actually there now. And I don't mean going out physically and fighting our oppressors. I just mean being willing to stand up at all. It can involve something as simple as speaking your truth when it's not popular to do, even when it makes others uncomfortable.

I strongly encourage everyone to read Political Ponerology. I've mentioned this book numerous times, but it seems even more necessary now, this understanding of how something that is really anti-life at its core, can take over whole groups of people and make them act in a way that is just so wrong, on so many levels, if you value life at all. At least I've been fortunate to meet others who are like wise continuing to exercise those muscles of courage and an innate drive to protect home and family, and the land that supports all our lives. You see, I feel fear, but then right after that, I feel my being filling up with a will to stand tall, no matter what comes our way. I've died many times before, and will again. In truth, there is no death, only a change in form. When you know that, really know that, then you can overcome your fear. And rage, when channeled appropriately, can be transmuted to a force for right action. If enough of us did this, we'd be unstoppable. The real revolution starts in the mind.

By the way, much love to you too, Blue Rising!
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

It's been relatively quite since our drama almost a week ago. Still no sign of our neighbor, but I'm really not surprised. My husband expressed his frustration to him quite clearly about not having done something about this guy earlier on. He had come over the next day, and that's when we found out more to the story about why the guy was here in the first place, and, since I had to make a trip to the city to get more insulin for the cat I offered for him to ride along to get stuff he needed. He doesn't have a good running vehicle so I try to offer him rides when I go. As I was backing out I slid into this big freezer that is kind of right in the way. We gave it to our neighbor but he drug his feet in taking it home for months. The driveway has a thick layer of ice on it, and I knocked the freezer over when I slid into it and broke the side mirror on our car.

When we arrived back home I didn't notice right away, but it turns out not only did my husband move the freezer out of the way, he had sawed it in half! I know I was a little shocked, and I can only imagine that our neighbor took that as a sign that maybe it's a good idea to take a little vacation from visiting. My husband has toned down considerably in the many years we have been together, but he still has a little bit of that crazy in him. I personally don't poke the bear, and so we get along really well. But I never doubt that it's still there. And we still have a potential trial coming up on the assault case that resulted from accompanying another friend a couple months ago to her remote property. So he's not feeling particularly tolerant, I guess you could say.

But, I am happy to say that when I went out to feed yesterday morning I received a very pleasant surprise. Miss Coco had two little bucklings very early yesterday morning! They were already dry by the time I got out there. I didn't think she was going to have them so soon, but fortunately the barn was ready to go and I moved them in there so I can monitor how they're doing and interact with them more easily. Even though she had been pretty wild when I brought her home, she coming right around. She let me give her lots of loving and some scratching in almost all goats favorite places. I've found, when kids are dam raised, that if you don't handle the kids a lot when they're born and the first few weeks afterward they will quickly go wild and run from you. I want to make sure they are good and friendly. They're both cute as buttons, but baby goats always are.

And then I got a call last night from our friends who took pregnant Carmel home with them. They have been on kid watch for a while, since she was already huge when they first took her home. And, as I suspected, she had four kids! Boy, were they excited! Kind of funny how that works. They started last summer with the three they took from me, and now they will be up to 12 goats. Almost catching up to me! People wonder, how does someone end up with so many goats. Believe me, it's easier than you think!

Not sure how it will go, but if I can pull it off and get Coco up on the milk stanchion, I might even start having goats milk available again soon. I generally don't drink milk bought from the store, as once you get used to fresh milk on the farm, store bought ultra pasteurized factory farm raised cows milk just doesn't cut it. And, they had a sale on fence panels so this weekend we're going to add a bit more to the dogs fenced area. Hate to do it, but it's going to be a big job fencing in two acres, so in the meantime these are a quick fix and will give them a little more room. I also bought some red clover seeds to spread around out here. Grass isn't really a good idea, but anything to try and keep some of the dust down this summer. Plus, red clover has the added benefit of multiple medicinal qualities. And the horse and goats can eat it.

I gotta get out there now, but before I go I wish you all a happy Groundhogs day! Don't think we'll be seeing any shadows today, from the looks of it. Maybe more snow. Groan.

Return to “Express yourself”