Farm Life

''Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.''
-Bruce Lee
Spiritwind

Re: Farm Life

Post by Spiritwind »

Want to write a farm life post today, though I don’t know if I will have enough time to finish it. We are having a sunny day at the moment, which is kind of rare these days, and it makes me want to be outside. Maybe an early spring on the way, too. I went to the city to buy whatever I thought we might still need for food (mostly fresh produce), so as to stay at home for an extended period of time, if needed. Don’t plan on being anywhere near the city in the next couple weeks or so, and don’t go often even when things aren’t so strange.

I have no idea what is going to happen, as we continue to move through this unprecedented, in my life, transition of power in regards to the US election. I’ve truly never seen anything like it. Even though I’m quite isolated out here, I’ve gotten to know more like minded people, both in person and online, than I have my entire life, in just this last few months. The differences in ideology are quite stark these days, with not much in between. And the level of hostility appears to be growing, to a concerning level, in those who show all the hallmarks of helping us move quickly into their “New World Order”, ala UN Agenda 21, and 2030, and beyond. For anyone who has studied and researched what they have been planning for us, for some long time now, you’ll easily see they are following the play book rather closely. And so many just don’t see the Emperor HAS NO CLOTHES!

So, while the sleepers are calling us all names, from conspiracy whack jobs, to selfish fascist racist whatever’s, and claiming that we are somehow a danger to society for wanting to maintain those rights, as guaranteed to us by our Constitution and Bill of Rights, those I know who DO see what’s coming, are preparing accordingly. Not because we “Trust the Plan”, but because we all care about our homes, family, community, and loved ones, and want to see a continuity of life, REGARDLESS of what happens. You know, make sure people can get medical help, communicate, eat, stay safe, etc. I don’t see any, that I personally know (and I know A LOT!), that are looking to start a fight with anyone. But, they will stand tall if forces against freedom who try to take it away, or who try to take us to a “safe, secure, location”. And I can’t believe it’s come to this, seriously.....

But, the thing is, it’s all made me focus even more on what is truly important, and what makes me excited and inspired everyday. I have a good life out here, and even though I’ve spent my life moving around, and doing some pretty interesting, and sometimes bizarre, things over the course of my life, I am exactly where I want to be. Since my husband is 75, and I’m almost 63, we do think about things much differently than we did 20 years ago when we met. It’s funny how we still do as much in our head as we ever did, but the time it takes to actually make it happen has changed quite a bit. My husband is STILL working on the laundry room, and the washer and dryer should be here, maybe, by the end of next week. I don’t blame him for dragging his feet a bit on going out there and sanding it all down, after muddling and taping the sheet rock. It’s a very messy job. Plus, he’s spent a couple of his days off trying to fix the starter on the big generator, and working on the smaller generator as well. On the big generator, he took parts of an older one. It’s the same model, but they made some changes on the newer ones, so it’s not as easy as it might sound. And the smaller one, it seems the pull cords like to wear out, and the choke was getting stuck open. They really don’t make them to hold up to everyday usage.

So, we bought a new one, and took the other one in to have it repaired. Parts are made in China, so might be a little hard to get, but now we’ll have a back up. Plus, my husband has a bit of work ahead getting our solar system back up and running. We got more panels, and we’re still waiting on the electric box he ordered (I’m thinking they had to go mine and manufacture the parts, LOL), which he will then be able to wire it up to make it easier to switch from solar to generator, and back. He is also upgrading the wiring. And all of this on his two days off. Fortunately, the days will start getting longer. Plus, there is the ongoing job, we both do, in keeping the wood stove going. Even though we’ve been buying energy logs, we still have to cut them into smaller pieces to fit in our tiny stove. Since it hasn’t been that cold, it’s been blasting us out of here. Always something to complain about, I guess....

I’ve got some of the fencing I will need to put together a new buck pen, so I can use their current space for the new mini orchard. I was thinking I wouldn’t have to hurry on making it so tall, but then I saw Raven jump about 5 feet in the air a couple days ago, and realized he’s still got it in him! Bob has been looking better since I separated him. So far, I have 2 walnut trees, two good apple trees, a peach tree, and a plum tree. Don’t know that there will be room for all of them in the space I have, but I’ll do what I can. I also have a chestnut and a maple tree to plant too. Not such a big deal, really, except that we have gophers, so I have to line each and every hole with some kind of wire fencing that they can’t get through. And then there’s the goats, and large population of wild deer to contend with. So kind of a big job.

I’m probably going to move the chickens and the coop and run area this year too. I also ordered a new beehive set up, with two deeps, one super, the frames, foundation, and queen bee separator. I figured I would start out with brand new stuff, and worry about sterilizing the used stuff I got later, as I need it. I guess varroa mites are the big thing to worry about. But, it seems that local bee keepers have found things that work, and I located a couple places I can buy the bees from, probably in April. You have to get on their waiting list, for they generally sell out quick. I’m finally beginning to understand the process, and the language. It took a while, but I am very excited about this!!!

Plus, I might have an interested party or two in some of the goats I need to sell this year. Kids should be arriving in April and May, which is always an exciting time. And I’m going to be starting some seeds here in the next couple weeks. A lot going on, and a lot to look forward to. I haven’t even mentioned it all, that is going on, but I’m burning daylight, so will end for now. I’m dreaming of pallet shelters for the boys, and hoop and plastic coverings for some of the garden spaces, and on and on, the list never gets smaller! So, I bid you adieu for now. (I managed to finish this all in one sitting!)

Oh yeah, and I found out that my homemade mozzarella cheese goes REALLY good with the wine my friend brought me! Life is good. (Just need the crackers now)
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Yesterday morning I captured a glorious and beautiful sunrise. This morning I sit here in the semi dark, looking out at the thick clouds. My floor is covered with cardboard and newspaper, and I have a little 10 inch square towel to put on my lap for when Thomas comes in. At almost 20 pounds, he’s hard to shrug off. I figured I could either get bent out of shape, due to how muddy it’s become outside, or just adapt. Now I can be the door person who lets them in and out all day like it’s my job, and it’s no big deal!

It’s been trying to do a big thaw again, which makes walking out there not fun to do. Over the weekend my neighbor came over and cut down a bunch of smaller or dead trees and now I have a whole other job to clear out the space for the boys pen. It should have been a snap putting it up, but now with somewhere between half to a cord of wood and limbs everywhere I’m not even sure where to start. There are more trees that have to come down, too, that are either heavily bent, dead, or small ones crowding the bigger trees around them. In fact, after surveying the situation yesterday, I realized I will probably have to take down almost all of the fence around the current boys pen where I want to put the fruit trees, because of a couple trees really close to their fence that they have basically killed by eating the bark off.

I am continuously surprised how small jobs, in my mind, turn out to be such big jobs in reality. Speaking of which, we are finally on the home stretch with the laundry room. We just have to put the second coat of paint on, do the trim, and then put the flooring down. Last weekend was another demonstration in all that can go wrong, though. My husband bought texture that sets up in 40 minutes. He was also using a smaller non-commercial version of the sprayer and hopper. It was cold with high humidity outside that day, while I stood out there watching him try to get the right consistency. Then I watched him spray the outside of the building as he tried to get the adjustment for the spray just right. It took longer than it should of. Probably close to 30 minutes. He got a whopping ten minutes into spraying the room when it started to set up. It’s not a good sign when the texture quits coming out while you are spraying. He frantically tried to get the gun cleaned out before it was impossible, but the hopper was a lost cause. So, we couldn’t finish the job. And it’s an almost hour drive to the city.

Since we are down to one vehicle at the moment, I went with him to buy a few groceries while he got what he needed. He bought the 90 minute stuff this time! And, I couldn’t believe even more people are masked up than I’ve ever seen. I can still at least shop at my favorite grocery store without a mask, using my medical exemption, but I was shocked when I saw one guy with TWO masks on! People are really doing this? I bet Fauci, being the sick **** that he is, gets his jollies off all this. How very disturbing.

I realize how unique our situation is here on the farm, occasionally. I see groups trying to form and start communities that embody certain principles that will allow for more optimum survival during the coming years of great change here. Many are younger, still in the city, with children and struggles to provide in an already hostile environment. Quite a few are working on ways to do all that, and find a way that works to come up with a public school alternative for their children. The rollout of the dictatorial rules coming our way in regards to mandatory vaccines, especially this latest one, is a driving force. I don’t even know what I would do, had this all been happening say, 20 - 30 years ago in my life.

As much as I feel for them, me and my husband are at a completely different place. My 3 kids are all grown up, and I have absolutely no say in my two grandsons life. I know the 13 year old has expressed he doesn’t want the vaccine, but most likely will not have a choice. I have no desire to move from this property, and have been able to connect with several other families within a ten mile radius that also own their own property and are moving towards complete independence from the system. Lets face it, the system could crash at any time, or it could just continue the slow free fall version, but either way, the signs are plentiful that we should not just be shrugging this off and engage in thinking that it will all just go away. Astrologically speaking, we are actually at the beginning of what harkens to be big changes over a several year period.

Anyway, I can’t really spend time in discussion on how to buy land in common, stop paying taxes, and get a real community going, because I’m already moving full steam ahead with providing more of the things we will really need if encountering an environment that takes us back to what amounts to the early pioneer days. Food production is a big one. And how about if you can’t even go to the hospital, your physician, or pharmacy? There is much to consider. I’m also keen on working out the bugs with alternative communication, at least with the group of nearby families who I know are on the same page. The other thing that keeps coming up is how to create an alternative economy. There, too, I can’t spend much time. Necessity is the mother of invention, they say. I figure if I come up with enough goods and services, I’ll have something to trade and barter with. Can’t eat gold and silver. Although silver is actually good for healing purposes!

I have two plus more months before the first new kids will arrive, and with 6-7 pregnant goats (they are starting to look it), it should be exciting. Hopefully not too exciting. I just ordered a case of quart canning jars online at a ridiculously high price because they are no where to be found locally, and haven’t been since summer last year. I wanted to get them while I still even can get them. I broke a bunch last year trying to freeze milk in them. And the electric box my husband ordered evidently is not coming at all. We just applied for a refund. He is going to have to do it another way, more costly now too! Certain things are already becoming very hard to get. Not sure if I mentioned it already, but 4 x 8 sheets of OSB are now $30 a sheet! They were, just last year, down to less than $10. Not good for building. So, my guess is, many things are going to get more difficult to accomplish. Even the laminate wood flooring we wanted to get. At first we were going to go for a natural wood color, but every one we picked was on backorder, with no certainty when it even would be available again. We ended up going with a gray wood grain look, which isn’t bad as the walls are a lighter gray, and the ceiling, trim, and appliances all white.

Even more than being able to do the laundry at home, I think I’m more excited about getting the shelves up in there. I have been accumulating so many items I will need to keep doing what I need to do here, that space in running out in our little RV. I plan to actually harvest, dry, and use many of the herbs I am growing this year. Things like containers (all kinds) are another thing that might become hard to get. And right now I also have had to keep extra produce in milk crates on our bedroom floor where it stays cold, such as bulk apples, potatoes, beets, and the squash I grew. It will be nice to get those out of here. We are still eating squash I harvested last October, and I kept most of the potatoes I grew to plant this year. I have so many plans that I’m going to try and find someone to come help this year. It’s hard work, but somebody has got to want to make some extra money and hasn’t forgotten how to put the muscle in it. So many young people I know have become quite sedentary, and so used to occupying their time with technology, that they don’t know how to work like I work out here. In fact, they think I’m nuts. Somehow I think I’m going to get the last laugh there, though it won’t bring me any pleasure. Personally I like to eat, especially since I will not get that evil concoction they are calling a vaccine injected in me for any reason. I want to be able to just say no, even if I can’t leave the property anymore at all.

And if they ever try to come and get me, it will definitely be the last stand. So strange what a difference a year can make. In less than two months it will be a full year from the time I heard the slogan “two weeks to flatten the curve”. One of the reasons I just keep posting here at all, even though I’m usually the Lone Ranger, is because I can. I can say what I feel and think, without censoring. Without someone shutting me down. Many of the folks I thought were free thinkers ended up surprising me in a bad way. Even if I’m wrong, about most everything, when did it become a crime to want to be free? When did it become a crime to disagree? I’ve watched more movies than I can count about this theme, ala 1984 and Brave New World. The signs are all around us now. Do you see what I see? I may be shrinking, but I’m standing taller than I ever have. When I leave here, at least I will leave knowing I stood my ground, and would not turn my back on ethics, morals, and values I hold dear. I answer to that which is unseen, and can not be deceived. As the Mandolorian says, “it is the way”. I listen to that inner voice that guides me back upstream to source, much like salmon. I go with the flow, but it’s a different flow than most. I am okay with that.

In the end, no matter appearances, the force of love is stronger than hate. It’s pulling me home, and I can’t wait to get there. All in good time. In the meantime, I will honor my opportunity to be present in this time, and try to hold the observer point of view, and just see what happens. Time to get to work.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I’m dragging my feet again.... watching the snow come down. Only good thing about it is that it had to warm up to snow. Lots to write about here on the farm, but I’ll probably go get my abominable snow man suit on and go outside first. To top it off, I have to go get a bale of hay from our other stack, since I’m out down at the other closer hay barn. I chose not to get it last night (possibly a mistake) due to a rather trying time after getting home just before dark yesterday. We are down to one vehicle still, and so my husband came with me to get a few groceries for the next couple weeks, and make our last trip to the laundromat.

We did finish texturing and painting the new laundry room, as well as getting the laminate flooring down and the new washer and dryer put in there. Unfortunately, he still has to plumb it all in, and convert the gas dryer to propane. And we’ve been rather tied up with the mini ice age we just went through last week. Even though every year we make improvements, there’s still always something. First, presumably the cats tore some insulation away from a short bit of plumbing that goes from the pressure tank out to the hydrants we installed last fall. So it froze up. Since we couldn’t use the outdoor spigot, my husband pulled a muscle in his neck trying to attach a hose directly to the pressure tank. That probably wouldn’t have happened, but he didn’t want to take the time to move all the stuff that was really in his way, so he could have had better easier access.

One thing affects another. So, I’ve had to screw the hose in to the pressure tank the last couple days, since he wasn’t in any kind of shape to thaw out the frozen area, both to fill 2 gallon buckets (6) to bring in the RV for the animals the next morning, as well as filling the water tank for the RV. Everything freezes up almost immediately, so I’ve been having to haul water around again, now twice a day. Then last night, when I hooked it up, I didn’t tighten it down well enough, and the pressure from a part of the hose (that we didn’t bring in) that had a chunk of ice in it, caused it to leak in the well house, as well as suddenly make the hose my husband was holding to get away from him and he got all wet. We might have a problem with the pressure gauge on the pressure tank as well, due to the cold.

And as if that wasn’t enough, he then went to put gas in one of the generators, and got gas all over from the absolutely retarded new dispensers they have on gas cans now, that are supposed to be safer. They are NOT safer. I know, because I’ve also had some difficulty. They are not easy to use at all, especially when having to almost turn the 5 gallon can upside while holding part of the the nozzle a certain way. Whoever thought this up should be slapped upside the head. And I thought my husband was going to blow a cork!

Little Miss Liberty out there is crying away at the moment. At 8 1/2 months, she can still get out somehow, and she’s been going into heat about every 18 days or so. Thing is, she can’t get back in, once she gets out, and she goes over and torments the boys. I am truly not excited to go out there, but I must. Hopefully I’ll get back to this today. Don’t think I’ll be doing any unnecessary outdoor work, other than what I absolutely have to do. Not only are there ice flows out there (not really!) but now there is fresh snow on top of it. And I find walking a lot with the traction devices on my boots is giving me back problems. Which leads to me not sleeping well at night. On and on it goes.... (insert groan).

Well, it’s over a week later now, after taking a detour to write something else. I did spend an entire week kind of dragging my self around, with low energy, and my body feeling quite unhappy. I’m guessing it had to do with slipping and falling down twice on the ice last week. When I went to get a bale of hay from our other stack to drag down to the barn, my traction devices kept coming off my boots. I got a bit frustrated and decided to push forward with dragging the bale down so I could get everyone fed without putting them back on. Big mistake. When I fall down like this, it doesn’t even seem like anything happened. I just jump right up and carry on. Only thing is, I wrench every part of my body around, from the complete lack of control as I go down, and it comes back to haunt me later.

Fortunately, I’m doing much better as of yesterday. And several good things have come to pass. We got some shelves up in our laundry room, and I was able to move a bunch of stuff out of our small living space, yippie! Also, the small area of pipe that froze and prevented me from using our outside water hydrants thawed out and I’m now able to use them again. Still don’t have transportation, though. My husband didn’t want to go out to work on the pickup with the unexpected snow that ended up falling all day Sunday. I can’t imagine why not.

Right now I’m sitting here typing this with the sun gloriously shining in the window. I’m going to start some tomato seeds today, and I am excited to get this years garden going. I find that focusing on real life stuff helps me deflect the more pernicious aspects of what is happening in our outer reality. To be honest, what I see is our self appointed governing body openly inflicting massive trauma to the masses now, with no attempt to hide what they are doing anymore. And I say “self appointed”, for it appears no one who actually would work for the people ever gets very far in politics. These people are big on nepotism, and if you do your homework, you will find that not only has every one of them been compromised, they are all related. They do not in any way, shape, or fashion, represent the true will of the people, and have done a good job hypnotizing many otherwise good, intelligent people, into going along with their own demise. Some of us see it, though. In fact, probably far more than we will ever hear about from any mainstream media source. FB is basically dead now. You can’t even post anything about anything that matters anymore. I can’t believe it’s come to this, but we are there now.

But, I choose not to dwell in fear, anxiety, and apprehension about so many things I can do nothing about. I can choose, and do, to live the best most honorable life possible, and find those who have likewise made the same choice. We can, and are, creating an alternative, an opting out. I do have the will, and as the Mandolorian says, “this is the way”. I get continuous confirmation that I am on the right track, and choose not to worry myself too much about how it’s all going to turn out. I will not give my energy to the dog and pony show they keep pumping out 24/7 every single time you turn on the TV. And I spend my time with those who also will not comply with their new dark reality show mandates. Freedom is not just another word for nothing left to lose.

Viva la Libertad!
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Maybe I’ll get somewhere with starting a farm life post. And maybe I won’t. Unfortunately, I’ve been having quite a bit of trouble sleeping well for a variety of reasons, some understood, some not. One, is I have a shoulder that is giving me trouble and I have trouble laying in such a way that it doesn’t ache. Another is that I seem to cycle in and out of hot flashes, and sometimes wake up numerous times during the night feeling like I’ve been set on fire. About half of the time I can’t fall back to sleep about half way through the night, so I wake up feeling like I’ve been drugged.

I’ve been doing geological (LOL it’s supposed to be genealogical) research, as well as past life reflection. I also started reading a book written by a psychiatrist who has taken a different approach using hypnotherapy rather than just the usual drug prescriptions and talk. She discovered something I’ve long suspected. Anyway, even as I typed this, I realize that perhaps my feeling of being on fire is even yet one more traumatic life ending where perhaps I did die in a fire, and it now wants to be cleared. Something I will look in to.

Anyway, all of this is making it hard for me to be able to complete all of my springtime goals, as some days I get a lot done, and other days I’m dragging myself around, barely able to do more than I have to. I have learned not to give up, though, and will find a way through. I will write more about all of the above in another post for a different thread, as I now realize I have much to express there, and it really doesn’t fit here. In the meantime I have much to contemplate in regards to matters having to do with the farm.

I finally located almost all of my gardening, herb, and flower seeds, with the exception of the tomato seeds I saved. They were actually the ones I was looking for, as they need to be started early. With limited space in our RV it’s been hard to organize, and I am just now making more space by moving stuff into the new laundry room onto the shelves my husband so thoughtfully put up for me. If I don’t find them soon, though, I will have to buy some tomato plants already started.

Well, a considerable amount of time has passed since I wrote the above. Sometimes life just gets in the way of my intention to write. I still didn’t find my tomato seeds, and my neighbor finally just brought some of his over for me. Not even sure I will finish this today. We’ll see.

My husband did a small solar system presentation this last weekend, for a group of around 25 people. So nice, not a mask to be seen (except the one fellow who arrived late and had not attended before), and no social distancing to boot. Hugs all around. It was wonderful. It was supposed to be as simple as one can make it, with my husband intending to hook the system up so people could actually see it work. He almost got there, except people kept asking questions that, if he had answered them all, would have had us sitting there till next week! It’s actually a very technical subject. Still, he put a lot of time into it. He built a little frame to hold two 100 watt solar panels, and brought the inverter, two batteries, and a charge controller, and tried to explain how each one worked, and why they were necessary.

After two hours and a couple guys grilling him towards the end, the rest of us were growing restless and he didn’t quite make it to the finish line. If he does it again, he’ll make sure not to take any questions until the end. It was a somewhat rough day for me, for entirely different reasons. It was the third day for me of worrying about a stray cat that had been stuck up a tree on the other side of our access road, but still on our property. It was about 50 feet up this fir tree in a very thickly treed area. Branches were way too thin to climb. It was a younger orange tabby cat that cried loudly for the entire time it was up there. I tried a variety of ways to help get it down, from posting in a local homesteader’s group for help, to reaching out to a tree specialist, to taping some food and water to the tree part way up. We even leaned a smaller dead tree part way up the side of it, all to no avail. And I’m a worry wort anyway, so all during the presentation I can hardly stay awake.

Finally, on the fourth day, we found that it had jumped to a slightly smaller tree next to the one he was on (not sure if it was a male, but most orange cats I’ve seen have been male), and my neighbor came over and cut the tree down. He neglected to let us know when he did it (like we asked him to!), so I didn’t actually get to see the cat escape, but as there was no more meowing, and no cat anywhere to be seen, I’m guessing it high tailed it out of there. I can’t believe an owl didn’t get it after four days! At least now I can move on from that saga!

Then the next day I spent the whole day loading trash we had accumulated over the winter, including construction debris from my husband building the laundry room into our pickup that still doesn’t run. And spent all yesterday recuperating from that! I must be a glutton for punishment. The truth is, getting older and still trying to remain active isn’t for sissy’s. It is actually very humbling, having to admit you just can’t do what you used to. My husband, being 12 years my senior, and having had a very adventurous life, certainly knows what I mean. His knees are toast from jumping out of airplanes and having been shot through both knees when he was younger in the military. So even just standing there for two hours straight doing his presentation pretty much nixed him working on the truck the next day.

As a result, I’ve actually had to have him do the grocery shopping, which I ordinarily do. He pretty much stuck to my list this time, which is truly rare. And I haven’t driven a vehicle in probably well over a month. Not having a second vehicle lately is definitely putting a crimp in things. We actually have four vehicles, and even the parts to get them all fixed. Finding a decent mechanic who actually has the spare time is like finding a needle in a hay stack though. And, for all the reasons I’ve already mentioned, my husband just can’t do anymore than he is. So, I keep stretching myself, and learning to go with the flow. I have everything I need, there is no emergency, and I have plenty to do on the farm. Once again, fortunately I do love where I am.

It looks like this week I’ll get to make a serious dent in getting at least one major project done. I have several piles of forest debris gathered and a friend is coming over to help monitor the burn pile. I have to add all the smaller piles as we go, as I don’t want to burn the forest down! But it will look so much better and I’ve been wanting to do this for quite some time. And the truck is now loaded for a dump run as soon as we get it going, so things are looking better all the time. Also need to throw some grass seed out there. Since we dug it up last fall for the water lines, much of the weeds and small amount of grass that was growing got all dug up and has made it muddy indeed. Not my favorite. Since we live in an RV, I think I’ve mentioned before that I lay cardboard down at the entrance. Otherwise, I wouldn’t even be able to recognize what color the carpet is in here. I’m hoping to get that all torn out of here, maybe even this year, and put laminate flooring in. If I’m really lucky, we’ll build a small room off the front. I guess an apt name would be a “mud room”, LOL. It may have to be smaller than we planned, as the cost of building materials in some cases has tripled since last year. I don’t know how anyone can afford to build anything now. Looks like we’ll be in this RV a while.

I did make the pen I’ll be moving the boys into, and the plan is to move them this coming weekend. We’ll have to almost rebuild their shelter when we move it, but we have two sheets of OSB we’ve been hanging on to all winter for the job. And I’m putting Raven up for sale. He has made some nice kids for us and others, but I won’t have anyone to breed him to, and he is the more rambunctious of the bunch, so it makes sense to let him go. Then I can move Rollo in with Swayze, and put Bob completely away from them where Rollo is now. Bob is still getting all beat up jousting through the fence with Raven every time a female is in heat. I’m thinking he isn’t going to make it through another winter (his front legs are in bad shape). But, in the meantime, I’d like to see him enjoy the time he has left.

I have worked out a deal to trade a couple goats for the use of a tractor this summer. She wants little Miss Liberty, and I’m so happy she’ll be going to someone I know. She is STILL getting out of the fence, and greets me when I go out. She hangs with the dogs, and follows me into the hay barn in the morning. Very independent she is. I also got to finally meet some of the fine folks who have a local People’s Rights group. I feel fortunate that I live in an area where people really value their independence, and aren’t willing to submit to the tyrannical BS that is being shoved down our throats. It’s refreshingly surprising that this whole area is full of constitution loving and informed folks who refuse to give up their rights to think for themselves, and are willing to stand tall and help one another as we approach what lies ahead. Many do see that the emperor isn’t really dressed in fine clothes, and isn’t worthy of our adoration and submission. In short, they can see right through the lies we are being told, and sold. Halle-freaking-lujah!

On that note, I think I’ll end this installment of farm life. As Spock would say, live long and prosper. Until next time....
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

It’s looking like I might actually get out of the house, er, I mean RV, today! Last time we had a plan to meet I suddenly had a massive infection in my gums break out and couldn’t go anywhere. I might play a game of pool, even, and see if I can keep the balls on the table, LOL! A small thing, this getting out, yet big at the same time. I don’t mind spending long periods at home, but I do need occasional interaction, with preferably like minded people. It’s become quite a rarity.

So, I think the last time I posted here about farm life, it was before my husband tried to set the forest and my good friend who was here to help on fire! I must admit, it does look better having put a dent in cleaning up the still plentiful forest debris. What happened is my husband came home early, and, worried that we wouldn’t be careful and pay enough attention, decided to help us get the fire going. He took and made a fuse line, underestimating how dry it was and pretty much everything else, and then my friend, who has really thick long hair bent over without making sure he was far away with the gas can, and that she was far enough away. It was a comedy of errors. Anyway, a big whoosh ensued and my husband jumped away and a little gas splattered around, singed the bottom of her hair, and set a whole bunch of pine needles and dry grass on fire. Fortunately we had the water on and hose handy. And that is the last time he “helps” with starting any fires outside.

Of course, a week or so later we had a big wind storm and added a bunch more debris from branches breaking and pine and fir needles, so it’s really a never ending job. Still, over all it looks better, and I went around and sawed off a whole bunch of the lower dead branches too. We had some serious gusts of wind, and had to scramble and put some more heavy objects on one of the goat shelters as it was trying to blow off the metal roofing I had on one of them. My husband did get the truck running so I finally have wheels again. It’s funny, I almost didn’t want to go anywhere because I got so used to not being able to. I’m getting over that, though.

Except, I still kinda don’t want to really go out much in the general public, because it’s just too heart breaking. A couple of grocery stores and a couple of local feed stores are about the only places I do business these days, with the rest being online or my husband does for me. It doesn’t look like that will change any time soon, either. But, I can start having some outdoor gatherings at my home here in about another month or so. It is spring here, so the weather is currently very unpredictable. We can have all four seasons in one day! I like the idea of people coming here, though, because it’s so secluded and off the beaten path. We can all just be ourselves without worry, for the time being anyway. It’s a way of creating positive memories for when things get even darker, which I know they will. It’s also a chance to build stronger relationships with people who we may have to depend on for survival. More of an interdependence, really.

Another major accomplishment, actually a couple, this last week or so, is that we purchased another RV. I’ve been wanting to do that for some time, for a variety of reasons. Now, with the price of everything going up, RV’s are suddenly a hot commodity here, and expensive one to boot. We actually had to offer the guy a little more than he was asking, as he had so many inquiries and was just about to say to hell with it! I won’t bore you with the details, but we did get a good deal overall. It does need some work, because he scraped it all along one side with a big tree branch that tore the siding and broke three windows. I imagine he was pretty upset, and didn’t even want to clean up the glass that was all over inside. It’s all cosmetic and things we can fix. The reason we wanted it so bad, though, is because besides having a full size bed in the front fifth wheel end of it, it also had a set of bunk beds by the bathroom at the other end. My oldest son, who has been incarcerated, will be getting out sometime later this year, and now he will have a place where he can have both his boys over and still be pretty comfortable. There is really no one else who can or will help him, and since they are my grandsons I’m excited to have made this possible for him. I really couldn’t imagine him trying to stay in our little RV with both of them and us. So it was kind of for my own sanity too!

The other thing I done went and did was put money down on a little mini Lamancha buckling I found. He’s adorable, and totally unrelated to all my girls. He is still being bottle fed, and since I’m not milking anyone currently, I got her to keep him a couple extra weeks so I can make sure I have a gallon of fresh goats milk on hand to transition him to getting used to the formula. If you don’t do it slowly, you can have lots of problems. I know, I’m supposed to be downsizing, but ya know, this is how it goes, in goat land, LOL. I do still have some milk frozen from last year, but I’ve found though the cheese seems to keep really well, the milk really separates after about 9 months.

Fiona, one of our first fresheners, is due in a little over two weeks. I still gotta clean out the birthing area, and so much more. A little overwhelming if I think about it all too much. I would never have tried to do so much in such a short time, but it does feel like the pressure is on. With the cost of so many things going up dramatically and so many other things becoming hard to get, or completely unavailable, I do feel like I need to hurry up. Those green backs might not be able to do much for you if things keep going like they are. Most folks here have no idea what it’s like to go to their bank to withdraw their money and finding out there isn’t any. They think it can’t happen here, but they may be in for a big surprise. Then it’s going to come down to what you already have, in the way of things that really matter and will help sustain life.

I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that Dotty is pregnant. I really wanted to get some kids from her and Raven. She is so big, I remember last year I really couldn’t tell if she was pregnant for a long time. She has discovered she is bigger than all the rest, and is starting to really push her weight around. I knew it would happen. And first freshener, Jewel, will be having some Rollo kids, which I’ve been anxiously anticipating for some time. Will they have ears like mom, or will they have Lamancha ears, like dad? Rollo is a real handsome dude, and Jewel is Firefly’s daughter, who was an awesome milker, so I’m hoping she is too. Kidding is always an exciting time, and it’s finally almost here.

It’s now a few days later, and we did have our little outing. Unfortunately, most of our little merry band of rebels didn’t make it. A couple of them simply don’t like venturing out at all in the new normal, and one had a sudden onset of suspected food poisoning. Yikes! Never my favorite. But my good friend I’ve known for many years, who is about 4’ 10 inches and in her mid 70’s did make it. She is such a kick in the pants. So outspoken and full of life. She goes dancing every chance she gets, and I swear that helps keep her looking and acting youthful. She got a new to her 4 wheel drive pickup, and was just bubbling with how the flow of her life is going. She had her short white with gray specks hair swept up in like a mini Mohawk that was cute as hell. Several margaritas and a few appetizers later I got my fill of talking like a magpie about all our favorite subjects. We once again met at one of the few establishments that defied all the mandates and stayed open throughout most of this last year. So nice to see people just being people. I also got to talk to two of my favorite people (who both live in different countries) yesterday, via Skype, to fill me up even more!

And now I probably should get out there and get busy. The bees are due for pickup in 3 weeks. Yikes! And I hadn’t really thought about it, but I guess we will be transporting them in our car. That ought to be interesting. In fact, that whole adventure ought to be interesting. Barn mucking out as I already mentioned. Supplements and hoof trimming are also on the rather long list of things I must get done. I could complain about having too much to do, but it does help to have farm activities to focus on that are all productive and useful, to keep my mind off the mind numbing drama of the outer world. I count myself very very fortunate in so many ways. So much to be grateful for. Forward, never straight, we go....
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I was going to wait until “it happened” to write another farm life post. By “it”, I mean when Fiona kids, but will probably write another one soon, very soon. So, the thing with Fiona is that a week ago, on Thursday the 8th, I noticed that she had a bubble sticking out of her vagina that didn’t look right. Although she sort of acted like she was going into early labor (12 days early!), by the next day I knew something different was happening.

As luck would have it, it was also the first time having my two grandsons out in 4 months. It was one hell of a long day/weekend! We were still down to one vehicle (got the truck fixed, then had something going on with a transmission fluid leak in the car). My husband had to be at work as they had started work on the hotel. He did come home early and took the boys with him to go get colostrum and tubing that might be needed to tube feed any babies that survived, if born that early. In the meantime I called another friend who lived fairly close and she came over and, with the neighbors help, we loaded Fiona in her car and took her to the vet. It turns out she has a prolapsed uterus.

The vet was able to push it back in, and, since it didn’t seem to want to stay in, he put a couple stitches in. It is now 3 days early on her due date, and we will probably take the stitches out either today or tomorrow, then have to watch her real close. Even at that, we’ve had the security cameras on during the day, and been getting up in the middle of the night to check on her. Don’t know how it’s going to go, and may still have to rush her back to the vet (hopefully not over the weekend!) if there are complications, like it tries to detach and come out again after labor. And she won’t be able to be bred again.

We also went and got our new little buckling, Finn, who is doing quite well. Three bottles a day. I’ll be happy when I can wean him, as I have a ridiculous amount to do, plus I’ve been having some health issues that are hard to pin down. Much more I could say about that, but won’t, here and now. Anyway, it’s been an exciting week, and by next week we’ll probably know how it’s all going to turn out. End of update for now.

Oh yeah, and on that same Thursday, another friend had come out to help with a few goats that were challenging, to give them their supplements, trim hooves, and once again try to get collars on that they hopefully won’t get off again. During that episode I got to play tackle foot ball, sort of, with one goat (she got the better of me that time!) and got my thumb bit almost to the bone before I figured out I could put the copper supplement inside the herbal wormer balls I make (so easy!) and cut my index finger on the other hand trimming the hooves on that same goat who took me for a ride. They finally healed up after spending a week trying to keep the bandages dry and attached. And now, I really am done. Time to go bottle feed the little guy.
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Just came in from working in one of the garden areas. As usual, where I live has went from winter, a few days of spring, to blasting hot almost summer weather. It will probably do all that again. It’s been a dry spring here so far, and I’m already having to water everything. I cleaned up our area on the hillside in front of us where we have lots of raspberries, blackberries, and assorted other herbs and flowers. It was a mess, and I worked up quite a sweat while I was out there. Feels good to get it done, though.

And Fiona had three beautiful kids, two girls and one boy, early Saturday morning with no complications. So happy! And probably by the time I post here again there will be more. I have a young man coming to help clean up the other barn area to get ready for more goat kidding and really looking forward to having the help. I hope it works out, because we can keep him busy most of the summer and get a lot done here. We have two other fairly good size garden areas, and trying to get them ready to plant. Should have already done it, but just too much going on. They are close to being ready though. Not going to get as crazy this year with it all, as I have many other things to focus on, and we’re not quite there yet with world events to where I can’t still go get most of what I want at the grocery store. I think building a cabin is out for now, with the ridiculous cost of wood and construction materials.

We did get most of the trees cut down for the mini orchard we want to get going, but probably won’t get them in the ground until fall now. The trees are all looking good, though, and several are getting ready to flower in the next few days. Which ought to make the bees happy. And that is the other big milestone here on the farm. We did pick up our package of bees last weekend. The weather was very cold, windy, and overcast, so waited one day to install them, and as luck would have it, an experienced beekeeper who doesn’t live far away came over and helped me with that. So awesome, and it went really well.

I’ve read so many articles, watched a number of videos, and the thing is, everyone of them do things a little different, so it was hard to know exactly which approach to use. It was really great to have someone who was basically on the same page as far as that goes. She will be coming over to help me do my first real inspection here in a few days. In the meantime, I did my first solo trip to the hive, and made sure the queen was released from her little box. The bees have to eat through a marshmallow to release her, and it’s pretty important that happen soon. She was out, and I was able to install the feeder board my friend loaned me with a gallon of sugar water in four quart mason jars. I had purchased an in hive feeder, but she said too many drown that way. Everything about this adventure gets me excited, as it is something I’ve wanted to learn more about for years.

I’m growing more herbs this year, with the intent to harvest them. I had been buying herbs for various projects and realized it was ridiculous when I could just grow more of them myself. Got some chicory going, as it would make a good coffee substitute if we ever get to where we can’t get coffee. A bit bitter I hear, but I expect one could get used to it. Also got some more calendula, echinacea, and hyssop growing. The one thing I don’t like about cleanup in the spring is the over abundance of pine needles and pine cones everywhere. I hate cutting trees down, but eventually we will have to take a few more down. Pretty much plan to leave the other side of the property alone with the exception of some cleanup of debris. But pine trees in particular have more shallow roots, and we have been getting some very powerful winds.

I do expect the weather to continue to present challenges. I believe it will get more unpredictable and unstable, with the grand solar minimum as well as certain groups with high tech to mess with it as well. Hopefully I will be able to get my semi underground greenhouse built in the next couple years, to better cope with those changes. I did wash my first load of laundry in the new washing machine. We still don’t have the dryer operational because we need to convert it from gas to propane. Very soon, though, and that project will finally be done. And then there’s the new little RV we have to work on through the summer. It never ends, really. I am not bored, though, especially since I’ve grown more and more accustomed to just working on my own, and being alone. I actually like what I am doing, which is more than I can say for many, and very grateful for the opportunity to just be where I am.

My husband is actually enjoying his job at the hotel these days too. They finally started on the renovations, and have a crew in there leveling the part of the building that had started sloughing off. He has a great relationship with the owner of the building, and it is so refreshing to see him being appreciated for his vast knowledge of construction and the building itself. It does mean he is working longer hours, and I don’t see him as much. Right now, my neighbor and friend of 40 plus years is shunning us, so I don’t see him any more. Long story there, and kinda weird, but I’m hoping it can be resolved over time.

I’ll just say that no matter how hard life is and can be, and how much trauma we have all experienced over many lifetimes, we have to make a choice which voice in our head we want to listen to. I went from being a miserable person, and basically not even wanting to be here, to one who is pretty happy most of the time, and my internal dialogue is uplifting, optimistic and honest (even though I can be quite critical of myself at times). I over ride that which tends to pull one’s energy down. When someone’s self talk is continuously judging, critical, always taking a negative view of things, it can become a self fulfilling kind of thing, where what you project out onto others becomes your own reality. Not a place I want to reside in. But we’ve known each other a long time, and he has almost no other friends. The only other people he knows and sees besides us are not happy people, and are prone to finding fault with everyone but themselves. He, for the moment, has chosen them over us, even though they are probably moving away, and possibly checking out of life soon due to endless health issues. I won’t give up on things changing for the better. I will continue holding us all in the light. For the epidemic of basically demonic energies is higher than I’ve ever seen. Not a time to succumb, but to shore up our boundaries, and call in our unseen helpers to keep us safe. In these times, I wish no one any harm, not even those who have harmed me, for I know they just don’t know what I know, and it’s tough being here now, more than ever. I call on my helpers to be here with me every day. And I do a lot of praying, for all of us. I’ve truly come to realize the sacredness of all life here, and just what we’re really up against. Definitely not for the faint of heart. And we haven’t even seen the worst of it yet. Again, so thankful for the many blessings that keep coming my way, yet know that I should take nothing for granted. One day, one moment at a time. But full steam ahead....

No-Mask-e
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I’m going to start a farm life post today, even though I can’t get into the forum until possibly this weekend, and that’s if our illustrious Catmin is able to “fix” it. I’ve often wondered what would happen if suddenly my ability to post here just went away. Might have to start my own blog, LOL.

I write because somehow I need to write. It’s just what I do. I was one of those kids who was either being put out in the hall or the corner of the classroom when I was in grade school because I just couldn’t keep my mouth shut. Strangely, now that I’ve gotten into the habit of forcing myself to write, I find I kinda like it. I’ve always been an avid reader, since childhood, and expressing myself through writing seems to be an extension of that. Books have had a huge impact on my life, and I still feel lost without a good book to read.

Anyway, much has transpired here on the farm since I last posted. I kinda feel a bit agitated lately, due to having a couple goats that never really did friendly up, and now they have kids it’s not much better. The one, Arya, runs around in a panic over her two bucklings when I let them out, and, of course, they seem to enjoy racing past her one way and then the other, inciting her to even more anxiety. Funny because she acted like she didn’t even want to be a mom at first, and hid in the little dog house shortly after they were born. I literally had to drag her out and put her in a smaller space where she couldn’t get away from them for her to finally bond with them. Now she’s an overbearing worry wort.
And her sister, Fiona, the one who had the prolapsed uterus, has a cry like no other goat I’ve ever had. It’s very shrill and high pitched, and she literally sounds like she’s being tortured when she gets upset over not being let out (or thinking she is hungry). When I sell her I may have to add a clause that says “no refunds and no returns”, LOL.

Jewel put me through quite the ordeal with her birthing. I knew something was off by the way she was acting the evening before, but couldn’t pin it down. She wasn’t in distress, and each kidding is different, so didn’t really worry until I went out in the morning to check on her the second time, and saw some dry hooves sticking out. I pulled that one out and it was definitely dead. We waited a bit, maybe 10 minutes or so, and since we had been checking on her frequently, we decided to take a short break. I couldn’t feel anything happening, with no appearance of more kids to come. So I was more than mildly shocked when I went out 20 minutes later and found two more kids, still in the sack, also dead. I don’t know if I’d been there when they came out if I would have been able to save one or both of them. But I was there to catch the 4th one as he came out, and tore the sack off him quickly, and suctioned out his throat so he could breath. I don’t think if I hadn’t been there he would have survived either. And he is tiny. Like, even a little smaller than a Nigerian. He is cute as a button though, with an attitude to go with it. He doesn’t know he’s little. And I can’t believe his mom had four in there, as she seriously didn’t look it.

Then, there is Vida, who finally kidded on Friday, May 14, our final birthing for this year, and she did great. She had three kids, with no problems at all. I had checked on her and saw no sign of even being in labor, and went in to have some coffee when I happened to glance at the security camera and saw her first kid. In shock I ran down there, and helped with the second two as they were coming out. She had them (like last year) so fast that the last one may not have made it if I hadn’t been there to tear the sack off. All three are doing great, and she is an outstanding mom (who isn’t crying and carrying on all the time!). I am so glad to be done this year, and am eager to move some on to new homes.

Dotty’s two kids, a boy and a girl, are beautiful and even without separating them I’m getting a quart a day. I’m sure I’ll get more when I get into the proper routine and separate all the kids over night. Jewel doesn’t have a great udder, unfortunately, and not sure I want to try and milk her. She’s kind of a butthead herself, having drug me around more than once (she’s actually starting to come around a bit this last week, so there is hope for her yet, and her udder looks better too!). I’m thinking I seriously need to downsize and only keep those I know I can and will milk, and especially let all the smaller ones go. That is, with the exception of Cry Baby, who is ten and won’t be bred anymore, and her daughter, Danae. Danae has really short legs, and has always looked kinda like a torpedo. I think she miscarried last time I tried to breed her, so plan to just keep her as a companion to Cry Baby. They are both very friendly, and I figure I can keep a couple as just pets. But I surely can’t do it with too many.

I did find someone willing to actually do farm work. You would think it wouldn’t be hard to find someone, but people generally don’t want to do farm work. It’s too hard, dirty, and boring. I don’t actually find it boring, I just can’t physically keep up with it all without seriously injuring myself. So I’m pretty stoked to find someone actually willing to work! He a young lad, tall and strong, and he lives not too far away. Still not talking to my neighbor and don’t plan on going out of my way to patch things up just yet. Basically, until I sense a change of heart and a realization that we are not what is wrong in his life or making him so unhappy, I’d just as soon leave things as they are. It was his choice to not even tell me he had something bothering him to the point of writing both of us off, though I have since learned his beef is primarily with my husband. I just wish he wouldn’t drive by like he wants to run us over. It’s a little disconcerting, and scary too. And if he runs over one of our animals it really is going to be a problem with my husband. Besides, I’ve realized his pacifist exterior (while constantly complaining about everything and talking fairly violently about things he wants to do to people) is a very thin veneer for the rage that lies right under the surface. He cannot handle conflict or confrontation. I’m not fond of it myself, but will do what is needed to clear the air rather than pretend everything is okay. I’d rather have uncomfortable honestly than fake politeness.

I admit, I do prefer people with courage and a willingness to stand up. It’s been a challenge this last year to see people so willing to give up so much of their inalienable rights because they are afraid. Maybe because I felt I had to fight for my life even as a very young child, I don’t have the usual fear most experience. When my adopted father used to beat me up and kick me with his steel toed boots, and grab me by the hair or ears and throw me around, I fought back like my life depended on it, because I thought it did. I have a very strong survival instinct. Probably also why I can’t wear a mask. I feel like I am being smothered, and it makes me feel almost somewhat irrational, like, I want to lash out. Could be a little PTSD there. I’ve actually not ever looked at it that way, but something to think about.

Wow, it’s been almost another week gone by! And a busy week it has been! As I sit here thinking about what to write I am inwardly groaning about going outside to feed everyone. It rained heavily last night, finally (wasn’t even in the forecast), and though we needed it badly, it makes me want to crawl back in to bed where it’s cozy and warm. But, I mucked out another pen yesterday, and my shoulder hurts pretty badly and my hands keep wanting to go numb. The numbness generally goes away when I’m up moving about, so no more bed for me today. Don’t think I’ll be finishing that pen today either. I did the outside area around the shelter, but now I need to do the inside, and it’s about 6-8 inches deep. I have to seriously stoop to do this job, which won’t help my already poor posture. There was a crooked lady....

I plan to put all the kids back in this area, to separate them from moms overnight. We finally moved Rollo, who is a year old now, over with the other two boys. I had added on to their pen and shelter a little bit to accommodate him. And, he was a pretty good boy about letting me trim his hooves, though he gulped down the grain like there was no tomorrow. We still have Bob Dean in his own pen by himself. Don’t remember if I mentioned it, but I was going to have the vet come and put him down due to his left front leg being completely whacked. His fur looks awful too, though I’ve given him copper, selenium, and herbal wormer. I did start giving him a bit of grain with extra minerals and diatomaceous earth every day, and he is at least walking a little better and doesn’t look like he is in as much pain, but it’s likely only bought him several months through the summer. I’m not going to keep him through the winter in that shape, but still, as long as he has some quality of life it doesn’t seem right to end his life just for my convenience. These things are always a hard call to make.

At least one big area in one of the other pens also got done this last week, with help from the young man who actually wants to work. I’d be totally crippled had I tried to tackle that one alone. Once again, I’m motivated to try and get my numbers down, even though I’m busting at the seams here with 26 goats (11 of which are babies). And I wanted to go and do a thorough inspection of the bee hive today, but don’t know if it’s going to warm up enough. Bees are fair weather bee-ings, much like most of us are, and tend to get a little cranky on days like this, so might have to wait a day or two. But I think they are getting close to me having to add another deep to their hive, and it does look like I am going to have to remove a bit of comb they have built on the top of the frames near the sugar water I have been giving them. I have to change that out about every 4-5 days so it’s doesn’t get moldy.

All of this has made my life here on the farm more like a full time job. Two does so far have developed an infection after birthing. We gave Jewel her three doses of antibiotics and she was better after the first shot. And now Vida is getting a round of antibiotics too. It’s a rather serious matter when a goat who has recently kidded goes off her feed and gets bad diarrhea. Even ignoring it for one day can result in death, as I learned several years ago. The wormwood medicine balls I make helps, but by itself isn’t enough. And I still have gardening areas to finish.

But, I love my life here, and, again, am so thankful to be where I am. Not a day goes by where I don’t feel that way. It’s my own little slice of heaven in a way. I keep busy and keep the horror show going on in the outer world at bay for the most part. Too busy to dwell or fret about things I have no control over, and far away enough to be left alone. I have met some awesome people here this last year, though, who I wouldn’t have gotten to know if the world hadn’t taken such a dark turn. In fact, I am having a rebels only potluck out here soon that should fill my coffers with plenty of social life activity to last me for quite some time. We will hug, whine and complain about how crazy the world has become, and brainstorm even more ideas about how to remain free, as best we can under the circumstances. Human ingenuity and sense of humor is still as strong as it ever was, at least among the feral population.

I don’t watch the news and haven’t been watching or listening to any more recordings, or even reading any articles about what is going on “out there” for some time now. I just scroll through a few chats I’m on, and just the headlines tell me everything I want to know, without all the grisly details. I have to laugh, though, when I read or hear such proclamations from people like Fawsi or sleepy Joe, telling us that we will have to continue wearing a mask or get the jab if we want our life back. I never lost my ability to live life on my own terms, nor do they even have the right to tell me what to do in the first damn place. And I know a lot of other folks who feel exactly as I do. In fact, it feels to me as though the resistance is growing, even though if you watch the lamestream media outlets (and actually believe what they tell you) you would think otherwise. And, one last thing I will comment on is how ridiculous they seem (even though many are falling for it) when they offer such incentives as free french fries and donuts to get the jab. Well, and one more thing. Seriously, folks, are some of you really still wearing a mask?

I guess I rambled on long enough for this installment of farm life. Once again, I did you adieu. Until next time, No-Mask-e!

I’ll try to post some pictures later today...
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Little Mr. Elvin, Jewel’s only kid that made it.

A pic my daughter took, when she was out visiting - Miss Cry Baby with her smiling face and beautiful beard.

Rollo now over hanging with the older boys (definitely not bigger boys!).
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Things are moving right along here on the farm. And I can’t believe how fast time seems to keep flying by. The days turn into weeks, months, and then years, and I can’t believe by this October, it will have been five years here. So much that I wrote about when I started this has now come to pass. This month will be a milestone, in a couple ways.

First, we have a storage shed being delivered in a couple weeks. I suggested doing this quite some time ago, but my husband kept saying we could build one for a fraction of the cost. Well, that has certainly changed in just the last 6-8 months. We’ll end up paying considerably more for it now, due to the ridiculously high cost of building materials, and waiting would have only made it worse. So, we’re going for it. My husband really doesn’t have the giddy up and go he had even a year ago. After building on the laundry room to the well house, he finally realized that. Not that he can’t do it, but now that they are finally renovating the hotel building he works at, he really doesn’t have the time, or the energy (to actually complete the job in a timely fashion).

I’m kind of excited about it, because if we added up what we have paid in storage fee costs, we could have bought a couple of them already. Time to finally get rid of a lot of the crap we have in there, that we definitely don’t need, and we’ll be able to actually have room for all the stuff that is piling up here everywhere. I have stuff under the RV, stuff in totes, and my husband has a heck of a time keeping the well house tidied up enough to actually find the tools he’s looking for when he goes to do a job. We did mostly get the area ready where we will have them put it by cutting down a few trees and clearing some of the brush. Now, we just have to level it out a bit and have some crushed rock brought in.

The other big thing, is we’re are getting a puppy! She’s mostly Maremma, an Italian sheepdog that looks a lot like the Pyrenees. Livestock guardian dogs have also went up hugely in price this last couple years (like, doubled!). Not sure exactly why, but now we’ll have a chance to get another dog trained up to keep the predators away, while we still have Miss Misha. She has been a great dog, but not very good health from the day we got her. Ranger still acts like he is only a couple years old, and even though she is only 6 months older than him, she can’t even really run anymore. I am excited, and a little nervous, as I do remember what having a puppy is like. They chew up everything, dig holes, and I’ll have a lot more poop to clean up. But the adorable factor kind of makes up for it, and Ranger will be an awesome teacher about what to do around here. He is very serious about his duties, and I couldn’t have asked for a better protector.

We did get most of the trees cut down for what will be the orchard area, as I mentioned, but I’ve kind of put that on hold for the moment, as spring is on its way out, and summer is pretty much here. Might be able to get them in the ground this fall, and if not, definitely by next spring. I keep thinking eventually most of the big projects will be done, and I can just relax, hahahaha! Such a silly girl I am. Still, taking care of all the things we have going should be a little easier than trying to complete major projects as well as taking care of everything. The trees, presumably, won’t take that much work once they get going good in a few years. And the milk stanchion area is another project that we’re going to finish here soon. Then I can milk a few goats without having my hands swell up so bad (by using the milk machine).

And the bees, I really don’t know how that is going to go. We did add another brood box here last week, and will be doing another inspection soon. It does take a bit of work, but it’s not that terribly demanding. I’ve learned a ton already, and it all doesn’t seem as intimidating as it did before we started. I’m sure mistakes will be made, but hopefully not really big ones! I am behind in gardening projects, but that seems to happen every year. I start out with a great deal of enthusiasm, but by the time June arrives and hotter weather, I kind of tend to slow way down. But I’m almost there. Just one area to weed, and just finished getting the other area all fixed up yesterday. The fencing I wanted to put up to keep the chickens out of the actual growing areas, but still allow them to run around outside their coop, is all done. We let them out into it for a bit last evening, and they had scratched into the dirt over quite a stretch in no time at all! Funny to watch them, as it seems they don’t accomplish much by way of finding something to eat, but it seems to make them happy just being able to do so. I still have stuff in containers to plant in there, but that’s not too big of a job.

The little area I have by the RV is all done too, which surprised me. I didn’t want to do it, but having our potluck out here a couple weeks ago gave me the motivation so I had enough seating room for everyone. I cleaned it up and moved the fence over where I wanted it, and dug up all the weeds that were taking over, and now it looks pretty good too. So now it’s going to be mainly watering everything pretty much daily, which takes a couple hours just to do that once the hot weather comes to stay for awhile. I didn’t plant as much this year, and stuck to things that actually want to grow for me, and that we eat a lot of. Only 2 zucchini plants this time, as I learned my lesson last year. Lots of potatoes though, and they are looking good! A lot more herbs I will use in making stuff I will be able to harvest here, and not have to buy, so that is good. And we have kind of resigned ourselves to the fact that we may be in this RV for some long time. Thankfully, it’s pretty roomy and meets our needs quite adequately.

Time for a break here, as duties are calling me. Namely, I need to go milk Dotty, as her two kids I separate at night are getting antsy down there. I’ll write more about my adventures in trying to get Arya, Fiona, and their kids (all 5 of them) to be a little more people friendly (not been easy!). Okay, I’m back! I ended up going to the city yesterday, so it’s the next day now. I only go about once every 2-3 weeks. I’ll comment on my observations there in a minute. But back to Arya and Fiona, I know I need to sell these two and all their kids, and with them being so skittish it’s probably going to be a challenge. I’ve been going out there, though, and just sitting with them in this smaller pen I have them in. We put smaller fencing around the perimeter so the kids can’t get out, because I was having a heck of a time getting them to go back in with them acting so terrified of me. Anyway, I just sit there on this milk crate forever it seems, until they finally just have to come over and check me out. I upped my game last week by bringing raisins with me, and that seemed to make a huge difference, because the moms love raisins apparently. I’ve gotten them to where they gobble up the raisins out of my hand, and sniff my face and hair (they like to eat hair!), and the kids chew on my clothes and try to head butt me. Thing is, they are fine while I’m doing this, but the minute I get up to leave they go back to acting stupid. Still, they are not quite as bad as they were, and I’m hoping they do come around if I am persistent. The kids are sort of warming up to me a bit, so I just can’t give up.

Since I am home on the funny farm most of the time, with just trees, bees, animals and my own thoughts, it is increasingly a weird experience to go out amongst the general public. For the most part my social life consists of only people who see through this strange overlay of weirdness, and I feel perfectly normal around them. The potluck I had out here was wonderful, because we just ate, laughed, talked about how strange the world has become, and what we plan to do about it. No one had much to say about the jab, since we all already know that we absolutely will not get it, ever. In fact, I find the whole subject, and the incessant propaganda being pushed in the mainstream ad nauseam, pretty much off limits for me. I don’t want to hear any more, ever.

So, when I go to the city, and I see signs on every store almost, that says “those who are fully vaccinate may enter without masks, all others must wear a mask” I feel “offended”, LOL! No, seriously, it’s just hard to see people, over a year later, still playing this silly game. Actually, deadly game, whose ramifications have not even been fully seen yet. And I will take no pleasure at all in being right on this one. Already, fawsi is coming under fire, yet people still don’t know the gig is up, because the programming and hypnosis of the public has been very effective. And I’m still pinching myself that there aren’t more rebels out there. When I was in my late teens, early 20’s, it seemed rebels abounded. Where did they all go??? It sure makes home all the sweeter.

And I have observed that many have slid back into their state of complacency, due to things sort of opening back up again. The group of us moving towards independence from the system shrunk a bit due to this, because people (like a well worn rut) just slide back in to their comfort zones the minute the heat is off. Those of us paying attention know it isn’t over, not by a long shot. As long as I am here and draw breath, I will stand for freedom. Freedom of thought, most particularly, as all else follows from there.

Anyway, back to the farm. We have just ordered 10 yards of crushed rock to be brought out next week. A long time waiting for this to happen. Maybe no more getting stuck in the driveway? And, before I go, I must comment on my forgetfulness. We have 4 primary entrances to the fenced area around our RV, where I have some garden areas full of raspberries, herbs, and other things. If I, or someone visiting, forgets to close any one of them, I get jolted back to reality quick. We have Finn, the 3 and half month old buckling I still have by himself most of the time, until the other little buckling of Dotty’s gets old enough to put with him, and I generally let him out every day. He is smart! He makes a bee line to the other hay barn and scrounges around in there. But, he is also Johnny on the spot if a gate gets left open. My grape vines that were doing so well, as well as the blackberry that was growing over the fence got a major trimming back. Little bugger! He’ll keep me on my toes, for sure.

I guess I’ll wrap this up for now. As always, there’s no place like home. I feel very blessed to be living my dream, and to have the bounty life has provided. I don’t ever take it for granted. It would be very hard to be here in this reality now, if I was still in the thick of things as so many I know still are. I’m happy to share space, in more ways than one, with those of like mind who find their way here. And I’m also very fortunate to have found many more members of my tribe, due to this flushing out of sorts. Something good, out of something bad, as is often the case. Blessings to all who read here.

Return to “Express yourself”