Farm Life

''Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.''
-Bruce Lee
Anders

Re: Farm Life

Post by Anders »

Rescuing a wasp might seem like an insignificant thing to do from an ordinary human perspective. In fact, the opposite would probably be more common: to watch, with a sadistic glee, the wasp struggle and die. It's because of the death cult programming of the human mind.

On the other hand, from a Gaia perspective (who some of you call Sophia), with the consciousness of our planet as a living being, saving a wasp is probably enormously significant. It's a total reversal of the death cult mind.
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I have wondered what would happen when Cookie finally got back with the other girls, and yesterday I got to find out. Did I mention how tough this goat is? I had let moms and kids out together so our visitors could get a chance to ooh and ahh over the bahbies. She made her way up the road when I wasn't paying attention and really wanted in the other pen with the older girls, including her daughter Jinjer. So I let her in, and they immediately started doing the goat thing and set about determining whether she was still going to be boss or not. I tried to drag her back down the road and finally figured it wasn't worth it and just let her and her two little bucklings spend the night there.

This morning I go up there and what do I find? Cookie, Jinjer and kids, along with Firefly and Tinkerbell in the big barn. And I find Cry Baby and her daughter, Mama's Girl, out in the feeder together. I guess she's still got it. We took advantage of the opportunity to tear down her little convalescent stall and my husband has come up with a new idea. I love his new ideas, most of the time anyway. Since we are planning to build an A-frame he thought it would be cool to make little A-frame shelters for the goats. Simple to make, easier to move around than a full size barn, and we can make enough so all can have shelter even when they are being butt heads to each other. And hopefully they won't trash them as quickly as they have most everything else.

And it's raining cats and dogs again. Speaking of cats, we brought Simba down to his new abode last night. Unfortunately my husband got to experience being pissed off and pissed on at the same time. Guess Simba didn't like riding in the truck.

The only other noteworthy thing of mention is how anticipating getting even with someone who has been kind of a jerk to you for 30 some years can be quite something to look forward to. Our neighbor ended up buying the snow plow and pickup himself, and is quite excited to embark on his campaign of making Dick miserable by plowing snow berms he can't plow through. Because that is what he has put up with for a very long time. I can tell him till the cows come home that maybe he should consider the full consequences of such behavior, but I don't think he is hearing me. Big sigh.

My heart and mind are much on what is happening at Standing Rock these days. I wonder how it's all going to unfold, and I wonder if some of those people who really don't want to be there because they are working for the other side, the side of the corporate interests, will finally be worn down by the honor demonstrated by such humble people under such conditions. The true spirit of what it means to be human is being demonstrated for all to see, at least those willing to look that is. Even the tallest thickest icebergs will thaw with enough heat. Praying feverishly for their protection. I hope you are too.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

This morning I could see my breath upon awakening. Remember what I said about being Popsicles? We got a taste of what that might be like last night. Yes, farm life sometimes presents challenges where one had best be creative and solution oriented. And have a rather hardy constitution. It gives a whole new meaning to the saying "that was cool".

Not nearly as cold as it normally is this time of year, for which I am grateful. A lot of things suddenly don't like to work when there is an inordinate amount of moisture on a continuous basis. I'm pretty sure the record from the 1940's was broke for the amount of rain that fell here during the month of October. I am sitting here in my trademark snow pants, hooded sweatshirt, thick fuzzy bathrobe, and wool socks. I burned up all the tea lite candles I had, and am down to the emergency candle stash, for which I am also grateful. Heating water up on the propane stove helps to take the chill off a bit too. I would be burning my oil lamps too, except that after three different trips last week to the store to buy lamp oil, it was still not restocked, so I couldn't get any. They actually put off a considerable amount of heat in a small room.

The reason for this predicament is that, although we do have 5 Renology solar panels, we do not have the controller yet that is needed to make them operational. And, we don't have enough batteries yet either to charge up. Although we have a great working propane heater in here, it draws a considerable amount of power to run the fan. We have a generator that was working great to keep the two deep cell batteries we have charged up, but suddenly quit night before last. We had bought another more powerful one we were going to use to power the well pump. It was still new in the box, so we pulled it out and got it ready to go (feeling quite good about our state of preparedness at that time). And guess what? It started right up and then, for some unknown reason, is not able to charge anything. What a deal.

And it weighs about 250 pounds, more with five gallons of fuel in it. Fortunately our neighbor came by to help load it in the truck so we can take it back. You see, we have been trying to do all this on a shoe string budget, with a lot of financial juggling skills applied. I'm not sure why, but we can never do anything without pushing the envelope it seems. We could have just stayed where we were for the winter, but decided to push forward anyway. Either way, it was a hard decision to make, but time and energy put into a place we were moving from just didn't seem like the right choice either.

Our tractor quit working too. We let our neighbor take it into the woods to try and pull some downed trees out for firewood. I'm not sure how a guy who seems so mild mannered can drive like he's in a tank out there. He said the battery sloshed around as he was bouncing around in the woods and sparked. Then he kept trying to start it and apparently the rebuilt starter we bought last year went kaput. And if we get snow before we can get it running again, it will probably be there the rest of the winter.

On a more positive note, I drug over two pallets and a couple big sheets of plywood and OSB to make a quickie shelter for some of the goats. I also took a 52 inch high by 16 foot long cattle panel and cut a length about 12 feet long that I had my husband and neighbor bend in a U shape and attach to two pallets, one on each side, as a covering over one of our milk stanchions. Then I covered that with a tarp. It reminds me of a covered wagon in appearance. At least now I will be able to trim hooves and give supplements to the goats this winter without total exposure to the elements. We'll both be happier about that.

My husband also poured the concrete for the metal pole that will hold the satellite dish for internet service, so we can move it here. The down side to that, is it won't work unless the generator is running. We have to get an inverter for the outlets in the fifth wheel, another item on our very long list.

Another reason for the financial crunch is having to buy a bunch of fencing and fence posts to get started on the fence for the dogs. Unfortunately it was prematurely bumped up to almost the same priority as staying warm. But we don't want Dick going wacko and shooting one of our dogs, so it seemed prudent to get going on a solution before that happens.

One last thing I will comment about is how electric fences don't like to work well either when there has been a lot of rain. Freckles, the horse, has certainly figured that out. If I could I would just let her run free too, but we are not quite there yet with one another. I can't hardly describe how it feels when I am driving down the road in the morning to go feed everyone, and she greets me on the road. When she gets out she always looks so happy. I remember at least one or more lives where we lived with our horses just as if they were part of the family, wild and free, just as nature intended, so I think it's hard for both of us, this time around, to conform with all the constrictions about how we are supposed to live. Dick up the road has no problem with deer and moose pooping on his land and running free, but heaven forbid he finds a pile of dog poop. And, he thought it was perfectly ok to keep a dog for its entire life on a chain. I won't keep another dog I have to do that to. It doesn't seem normal at all to me. And I'm not sure but I would imagine even coyote poop is similar to dogs. Maybe someone knows about that. I guess I could look it up on Google, giggle.

Anyway, enough for today. My thoughts are also on the folks camping there at Standing Rock, for I know the winters there make can make where we are seem like a picnic. I imagine winter boots would be a good thing to send lots of there. And heavy duty gloves, wool socks, and hats. And my thoughts are with Christine and Loren who will be there soon. May they continue to be blessed as they make their way there.

Time to go up the road to give Nickie her morning insulin shot. We left her up there to let Simba get used to his new surroundings first, plus she helps keep down the plentiful mice population up there. I believe I will be getting a rip roaring fire going in the wood stove we have up there. Oh yeah, one last thing (I know, I know, I already said that!) We have a tiny (like, you could burn mill ends in it) little pot belly stove and we have joked about installing it in the fifth wheel. There is a fan in the ceiling that goes outside, and we could just hook it up with some stove pipe and turn the fan on to suck the smoke out the top. I'm joking of course (but then, maybe not). We are, if we can pull it off, still going to make a little room off the front to put the wood stove in, just as another heat source. I would indeed be using it now if I could. Nothing like seeing your breath inside your home. At least we were in good spirits this morning as we sat before my husband had to leave for work, seeing if we could blow smoke rings with our breath. Funny funny.

Did I mention how beautiful the view is here? Unfortunately the windows are too fogged over to see out right now.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Dear Spiritwind, that sounds horrendous. I'm looking at some stove ideas, hoping any of these things are useful, if only to take your mind off the bad situation :(

Outdoor rocket stove, I'm thinking, surely someone has modified one of these for a porch??

I think you can put a hole for exhaust in back near top, not 100% certain but i think so.

Same concept, more hazardous design:

Temporary patio design, they are going to char the floor, they need a firebrick on bottom!!!

Getting more advanced, looking at chimney option:

P.s. yours would need to be on rollers and or small enough to get thru a door, or have a dry warm space to cure until the concrete sets, eek. It's possible but difficult, might involve multiple fires and temporary shelters. .

Ok Spiritwind. This might sound stupid... But. If you were to erect a fairly large Rocket Stove in a cleared off area Outside your residence. You could theoretically burn pine wood without risking Creosote buildup indoors. Have a space clear for heating firebricks or another highly heat absorbent and movable material.

Then periodically bring the heated brick into the house and set it in a safe place. You could eventually have more than one brick and incorporate the outings into the animal care routine.

It's just a thought, but apparently in the old days people would heat bricks and water bottles. Etc.

Wish i could give you a hug, lmao.

P.s. my husband suggested propane wall unit. Is this in your price range? This doodad is good for 200 sq ft apparently, costs about 60 plus accessories,

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy MH9BX 9000 BTU Radiant Propane Heater F232000
$59.88
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Wow Naga, those are some great ideas. We have actually talked about making something out of bricks along the lines of some of what you posted. And that propane heater looks like a damn good idea!

It is interesting that what some may see as hardship, while it can be seen that way, is actually part of what makes life interesting. I mean, I learn new things about what I am capable of, and what we together are all capable of, everyday. It isn't boring at all. I find things that interest a good deal of the population, like television, sports, going out, shopping (although that can be fun), in general quite boring. Most local restaurants don't have the kind of food I like to eat, and I'm not at all interested in bars, except for the occasional drink my husband and I like to enjoy, just so we can say we did go "out", LOL. I like being home.

And, my husband and I are both looking forward to going sailing next summer on one of the local lakes. As fate would have it, although we had to sell our big sailboat (it's at least still in the family), Justin got such a good deal on a 25' Catalina that he bought it for us and brought it over from the coast. Now, that's an activity we both can get into and enjoy. In fact, Naga, since you may even be moving closer you can probably go with us too, if you enjoy being out on the water.

Life is a funny mix, for us at least. It's a rich life though, in many ways. So over all, I would take this life over city life any day. Gotta go though, it's getting hard to type. Since it's cold, my cat Nickie insists on being in my lap, and seems to REALLY want my attention. My furry lap warmer, giggle again. Maybe the cold is getting to me and I'm getting delirious. Or maybe I'm just happy. It's turned out to be a stunningly beautiful and sunny fall day!
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Spiritwind, would it be ok to share those images of your goat shelters? I thought they were so cute and innovative, you are an inspiration just like your name suggests :)

Babies checking out the awesome a frame
photo credit: Spiritwind

Mama waiting for milking, lol my favorite

Will it stand up to extreme northern winters? Time will tell:
~William Cowper
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Hi Naga, I don't mind you posting them (pictures) at all. I am seriously on the run today trying to move a lot of little stuff that seems to go on without end. And, we are moving the internet today so I will be cut off here soon, until possibly tomorrow. No sunny day here either. Back to the monsoonal rains. All the cedar trees that were dying should be able to make a comeback with all this rain. And maybe I need to grow some webbing between my feet. On her dad's side of my daughters family they actually do have webbing on their feet. Not dramatic or anything, but I find that interesting.

The little shelter in the last picture now has the sides covered and the front covered with a doorway. That should be enough for them, for this winter anyway. Back to work I go.....
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Its a misty morning here, with much on my mind and just a little time to reflect. The horse has figured out that she can just jump the fence (presumably, because she would have to be a Houdini horse to have went under the fence without disturbing it - or even through the fence, which she has done before). I'm pretty sure part of her motivation was us moving her herd mates, the older does, down to their new home a couple days ago. Plus she likes to eat, and knows where the food is supposed to be. Kind of foiled her there, because the main hay stack is now down the road. But I can see we are going to have to outsmart her this winter if we don't want to come out some morning with it strewn all over. It's amazing how strong they are, and how much damage one little horse can actually do.

She is such a sweetheart, though. Not a mean bone in her body, although perhaps a little orneriness at times. I did take her down the road yesterday, when she got out, to show her where she was moving to. She probably would have been already down here this morning, were it not for the big metal gate. I even just love the smell of horses, and they are so smart and aware. Horses don't lie, and it is one of the reasons I enjoy being around them so much. And you can't lie to them, either.

We will be moving her and the two bucks by this weekend, so the end of that particular part of the move is finally on the horizon. Big sigh of relief! And Nickie, the diabetic cat, didn't skip a beat when we introduced her to the new digs, unlike Simba, who took a few days to adjust. Cats are amazing, and each so different in personality, or, as my daughter used to say, cat-ality.

I am taking the day off, I think, due to being rather physically exhausted. I am 58, and my husband is 70, and it's such a strange thing to be able to do everything in your mind you used to do, but physically it just ain't happening, LOL. We talk about it all the time. We are still doing things most people our age aren't doing, and even look at our own lives in wonderment. But we just can't put in the type of long hours day after day like I remember we used to do. My husband is really feeling it, having had many war wounds speaking to him as of late. But still, we love our life. It is, at least, in many ways our own, and we didn't have to climb over a bunch of people to get there.

Better to take the long route with integrity, than the short one without. Which makes me think of this recent election. They are and have taken the long route, but certainly no integrity there, at least, not the type I am aware of. I remember when I first became fully aware that this election was going to end up this way, way back over a year and a half ago. I thought I would want to move out of the country. That is not happening, so I have spent the time in between just crafting my own life, and choosing to accept, at least in my reality, the awareness that the outer show is, and has been, scripted out some long time ago. I always knew it was going to get bumpy, regardless of which puppet is on display. I admit though, I actually did like Carter, LOL. But, other than that, I find I just don't want to focus too much attention on any of their projections of the reality they want us all to subscribe to. I'd rather invest it on the homefront, or some other more worthy cause.

Which brings me to the next topic forefront on my mind. But, after reading what I just wrote on this topic, I am going to make a separate thread, LOL. Got a little more than I bargained for.
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Spiritwind, i know im a bit nuts, but seriously, if you guys are able to articulate patiently the things you need done, and i have time, etc. More than happy to try to learn.

Winter may be sketchy if it was a commute to the farm, but if i was in the County you could pick me up in the,4x4.

I'm very sorry for your aches and pains etc. Your hub is very similar to my grandfather in Ky. He tries so damn hard to work, i think hes probably 80 something now. Heartbreaking! !!!!

I'm not young like a high schooler but would love to acquire some farm skills while helping friends.

When i was a kid my stupid asthma kept me out of the,way, on top of sexism in the family, but im not dead yet?

I wish it was easier to coordinate, im still waiting for my court related team meeting or you guys might have seen me by now.

:(
~William Cowper
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Naga, thank you for your continued offers to help. Our problem is somewhat a financial one at the moment. You know that great vehicle my husband locked us into a payment on? Well, besides the rat that took up residence under the hood, we found out the seals are leaking oil and the windshield leaked water down into the battery box (the seal leaks) and caused a bunch of electrical damage. The extended warranty we got will pay for some. Long story, but it's one of those times it just tests the average person's resolve. Not going to whine and complain though, cause I chose the path I am on and all that comes with it. There are so many people who don't even have what we have, and many who suffer alone in a world that doesn't seem to care. At least I am rich with some outstanding people in my life to experience this extraordinary journey with. So only gratitude is felt in this moment. We will be okay. We always are.

And I know you have your own very personal trials and tribulations. And I know your vehicle is not that reliable either, so I would worry my self sick probably, and don't have a vehicle to come rescue you in, LOL. I laugh, because I actually used to hitchhike quite a bit back in the day (late 70's etc.) and I remember hitchhiking across the state for auto parts that I couldn't find where I was. Those were the days. Don't think I would resort to that today, but then, you never know.

My daughter is having a meltdown today (you got to actually witness one of those in the attorneys' office - big grin). Her cat is having a problem with crystals trying to pass through his urethra (I think I got that right). She has already spent a ton of money on this cat. Now she has to drive herself with the cat to the vet (she just got her license) and I am not in a position to help her. I feel bad, and of course she tells me "I have nobody!" as she hangs up the phone, but I also know I cannot shield her from life, nor really should I. Doesn't make it any easier though. She has a very strong and intense emotional nature that is going to take a lot of work to turn into an asset. I know all about this. But it is also, to some extent, a personal journey each must make. But I can still stand in energetic support. I know from experience that can mean more than we know.

Return to “Express yourself”