The Test

“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.”
― Kahlil Gibran
Naga_Fireball

Re: The Test

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Seattle says it will clear The Jungle, tells residents to leave encampment.

Originally published September 30, 2016 at 1:28 pm Updated October 3, 2016 at 6:24 am

Garbage and generally unsanitary conditions are among problems at The Jungle. (Steve Ringman/The Seattle Times) [ the official excuse ~NF ]

Seattle will begin clearing The Jungle, the Sodo homeless encampment where five people were shot earlier this year, on Oct. 11. Residents were notified Friday morning.

By David Gutman
Seattle Times staff reporter

City and state officials have told residents of The Jungle, the sprawling Sodo homeless encampment, that they must remove all their property as the city will begin clearing the area in about a week and a half.

City staff and Department of Transportation officials posted notices at access points to the encampment on Friday morning, and also handed notices to any people they found in the encampment, said Julie Moore, a city spokeswoman.

Moore said staff from the Union Gospel Mission were on hand to offer services to residents, who would have to leave the encampment.

Earlier this year officials found more than 200 tents in the encampment, which stretched under and near Interstate 5 from Georgetown to Interstate 90. The city estimates there are 42 people remaining, after ongoing efforts to move residents out, Moore said.

Officials will begin removing property and clearing The Jungle at 8 a.m. Oct. 11, residents were told.

Personal belongings will be available to be picked up for 60 days at a city storage facility on Airport Way South near South Industrial Way.

“This is not an authorized area for storage or shelter,” the notice posted at The Jungle says. “Crews will begin work in this area. There is risk of injury from heavy equipment that prohibits general public access.”

Once the area is clear of people, trash and belongings, the Department of Transportation will begin work to upgrade a dirt access road to The Jungle area, said Travis Phelps, a WSDOT spokesman.

They’ll pave the road, Phelps said, so both emergency responders and Interstate 5 bridge inspectors can have better access. He expected the work to be done by the end of the year.

As the city struggles with its homelessness crisis, its sweeps of encampments have been plagued by disorganization and miscommunication that has often resulted in homeless residents losing their possessions, a Seattle Times investigation found.

The City Council is considering legislation that would require 30 days’ notice before an unauthorized encampment could be cleared, although “unsafe or unsuitable” encampments could be cleared with just two days’ notice.

Five people were shot, two of them fatally, at The Jungle earlier this year. An assessment by city, county and state officials after the shootings declared the encampment lawless, unsanitary and dangerous.

David Gutman: 206-464-2926 or dgutman@seattletimes.com. On Twitter @davidlgutman
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

From email:
Homelessness, Pogroms, and Propaganda
Oct 3
Dear Mr Gutman. 

I certainly hope that the sanitation angle you were presumably asked to use in your story about the Jungle evictions was original to officials in Seattle. 

That way, those corrupt, anti American officials and the journalist cronies who parrot their thoughtless views on social work can be rounded up themselves.

I hope the Federal Government makes an example of how poorly your city actually meets the needs of these suffering people. 

Blaming shootings and garbage for running out 200 families sounds a lot like World War 2 ghetto conditions.

Would some of you Seattle Times kids get off the official tit long enough to give us the real story?

What's the dirt on what really happened in the Jungle? Can you give it to The Stranger so it actually runs?

Do you personally believe sanitation is the real reason the corrupt racist elitist (experiment of a) city of Seattle is evicting these folks?

How much do you know about the Scottish evictions or the Irish potato famine?

We spend so much time focusing on imaginary threats in this shithole, that we can't see when real people here on our shores are being destroyed without due process.

Rachel Miller
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

He wrote back and was very very nice, brief, but he said they don't tell him what to write lol.

HaHaHAHaHa.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Also i cant add or subtract when its this time of month.

Angry women take the biggest number that stands out and run with that
.. lol

200 should be 42 according to official census.

But duh there Used To Be 200 mr gutman
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Such good news. Heroes are standing up in seattle. Corruption will be revealed wherever our champions step out of the shadows.

Http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/a-n ... -homeless/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A new approach: Build steel modular housing units for the homeless

Originally published October 3, 2016 at 1:27 pm Updated October 3, 2016 at 4:37 pm

An artist rendering shows the Compass Crossing Pilot Project to be built later this year on land at the intersection of 39th Avenue South and South Angeline Street in Seattle’s Columbia City neighborhood.

Tents, wooden sheds and RVs do not provide the kind of stable and supportive housing in which an individual or family in homelessness can begin to deal with the issues in their lives.

By Al Levine
Special to The Times

LIKE most Seattleites, I am alternately frustrated, incredulous and dismayed by the number of homeless individuals I encounter every day while walking, driving or just living my life in Seattle.

I find it hard to comprehend that we can’t do a better job of finding housing for these individuals and families than we have done so far.

Having spent the majority of my professional life developing affordable housing — and am now retired with discretionary time on my hands — I am in the fortunate position to be able to try and do something about it.

I believe we need new approaches. We need innovation in the manner in which we approach services for the homeless population and how we house people. Traditional development of permanent affordable housing is time consuming and costly. Although the finished products are almost universally well designed and managed, the reality is we are not going to address the homelessness crisis in our community solely by building permanent affordable housing.

Read More: http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/a-n ... -homeless/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Hopefully this situation can be turned around for the greater good, when people see how cheap it will be once we are able to manufacture buildings with 3D printers, utilizing local materials formerly considered junk, like sawdust and sand, and novel resins....

Didnt hemp make a decent base for plastics? What about a sand and resin composite?

:)

P.s. steel is expensive. Iron ore price has doubled since before the war in Syria. We need a cheap and hardy alternative to metal.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Sadly the hearing regarding Madison Park micro housing in walla walla was shot down by judge Lohrman....

Initially the hearing was set to be heard by judge wolfram. I find this very disturbing.

The judge ruled in favor of the heartless fgts who are attempting to block the housing.

I hope their houses burn down lol. It's what they deserve.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

P.s. David Gutman of Seattle Times made Union-Bulletin front page today lmfao. The journalist i questioned regarding the Jungle story in ST yesterday.

Small goddamn world.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

A guy wrote letter to editor recently saying that our town does not enforce the code issues propagated by actual residents. Yucky. The example used was a dog poop and garbage filled yard that smells like a dead body 100 ft from a restaurant.

I'm not sure whether the writer supports homeless alliance or is just going nuts from rancid odors.
~William Cowper
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

One of my former neighbors told me their new neighbors own a pitbull that has killed other dogs. It is an off leash pet that terrorizes the tame dogs of other residents.

This in a property with ties to our Housing Authority ; (

It's not just the homeless who are ignored here.

It's anyone in walla walla who lacks wealth.
We might as well lie down under the next steam roller lol
~William Cowper

Return to “Calls to Action”