How to stand in your own power

"For the sake of goodness and love, man shall let death have no sovereignty over his thoughts."
-Thomas Mann
soulmeaning

How to stand in your own power

Post by soulmeaning »

https://ishtarsgate.wordpress.com/2011/ ... -is-wrong/
This post by a British shaman speaks about how to stand in your own power. She doesn't mention the word "sovereignty" but that is what she is talking about. I would be interested to hear what you think about the article. :)
Learning to stand protected and whole in your own power is more than about guarding yourself with all the million-and-one methods of psychic protection available to the modern-day magical practitioner — from the Lesser Banishing ritual and the four pillars, to the blue translucent egg and the fiery pentagram to mention just a few. That’s because it’s no good using your intention to magically construct one of these energetic devices before setting off down the road if the first thing you’re then going to do is hand over your decision-making ability to the next person you meet at the bus stop just because they’ve got a bigger hat.

Even if they’re your boss, you have to learn to manage your power around them, and you will eventually get quite skillful in these sorts of situations.

But it’s best to start off small, at first. Don’t go straight for the might of the military-industrial juggernaut. Parity begins at home. Begin with your partner and your immediate friends and then watch as your whole life starts to transform. As you change the microcosm, the macrocosm will very often follow suit.
Eelco

Re: How to stand in your own power

Post by Eelco »

What amazes me time and time again is how everyone seems to have a different understanding of what it means to stand in your power.

When I was at that period in my life where i did elaborate auric and chacra field cleansings and protections I did feel I was empowering myself.
From that place I felt i stood in my power finaly.

When I let all of that go to live the live of a sheep, I felt empowered, because it was my choice and I stood in my power.

When I recently chose to go help modwiz when he called for help on behalf of the ambassador I felt I stood in my own power.

Before the elaborate cleansings when I found a Guru in Shantimayi I felt I stood in my power as a devotee.

Where in all this was I not standing in my own power, apart from the times where I forgot it was me choosing the path I was on for a while.
From embracing the relationships I had and have. From letting them go and breaking away from old towards the temporarily new.

It was all me, choosing to BE-come. Not realizing I was already there. smack in the middle of the 10.000 joys and 10.000 sorrows life bestows on all of us. Over the years I have become very appreciative of those we call the sheeple. And in there lives i do believe they are standing in their power even though it doesn't look it from the so called awake and aware point of view.

Just my 0.2 cents

With Love
Eelco
~ “for what it's worth”~
~Placebo~
Eelco

Post by Eelco »

I couldn't find an edit post button so i'm making this addendum.

Quoted from the article..
These Hogwarts wannabees don’t have any real power at all. The spirits don’t communicate with them and so they don’t get any information or guidance about what to do.
I think these sentences allow a look in how she defines power.
From her Role as a Shaman I guess it's true that communicating with and taking guidance from The Spirits translates to having Power as opposed the vampiric tendencies she bestows on the rest of the world population.

As you may have gathered I have a slightly different interpretation of what it means to have Power or to stand in your Power.
Then again I could be just delusional and naive for not seeing what others seem to find obvious conclusions.

With Love
Eelco
~ “for what it's worth”~
~Placebo~
soulmeaning

Post by soulmeaning »

Thanks Eelco,
I was interested in how different people felt about the article. I appreciate your comments. I think each soul needs to find their own way when it comes to standing in their own power. Power is found within, but what exactly that means varies from person to person, according to how much of their own shadow work they have done.

Thanks again for your perspective!
:)
Eelco

Post by Eelco »

This short exchange of standing in power has me thinking.
What does it mean to stand in your power.

To me it seems there is a myriad of ways one can exert power, feel empowered or even stand in your power.
All with slightly different nuances in feeling tone.

Personally I fool myself into thinking I am standing in my power when I make a choice. Choosing and standing by the choice I have made is the power I have. It ties in with the concept of freedom of will and is thus the basic form of empowerment every human being has, and is capable of. Even the freedom or choice to submit to your victim-hood in this sense is personal power and as such the one choosing such is standing in its own power, or at least trying to by way of simply choosing to comply with circumstances..

Now from the outside this doesn't seem like much and others will usually disregard a power choice such as this.
Standing in ones power fully has the innate ability to make people comply. For instance in my work with mentally challenged, autistic spectrum people. Many colleagues will silently disregard my whining about fairness, about freedom of choice for client's and such. In a crises however where a client is violently frightened I have a decisiveness and ability to not loose myself in the drama which is seen and almost everyone will comply to my suggestions and commands at that time.

Now in both cases I am from my point of view operating from my place of power. In the one where I am disregarded I am offering a suggestion without demanding to be heard. Over time some people will come to incorporate my suggestions, or not and we respectfully agree to hold different opinions. In the second one everyone complies to my suggestions, again not because I am demanding it, but because in such times I am thoroughly operating from a place of intuition and love, something most will loose after things have gotten physical.

Even though my little self will afterwards enjoy the way i am seen in such times and I could easily mistake that feeling of decisiveness for standing in my Power. Personally I feel there is no difference in the amount of power I am standing in. I would even suggest the later is not so much personal power as it comes from a place of intuition and is often fed by the powerlessness of others at that time. See the difference?

With Love
Eelco
~ “for what it's worth”~
~Placebo~
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

What you say is so interesting Eelco. It makes me think of the statement "it's the journey, not the destination" that is important. In other words, it's easy to go back and judge ourselves by what we have done and the choices we have made in the past. 

In fact, I can remember a previous relationship where I had found myself thinking that the other person should be making much better choices and could be doing so much better. Then I thought, what would happen if I turned it around. What if that person really was doing the best that they could for where they were at, and the understanding they currently had. Totally changed the dynamic for me. And then I thought, what if I too was doing the best that I could with the understanding I had, at any point in my life as well. Takes the judgment of self and others right away. 

And maybe, just maybe, it's like each of us as individuals have made all the right choices after all, to bring us to exactly right where we are now, whether we perceived ourselves at different times as standing in our power, or not. I mean, we always dwell on what's wrong with everything, often including ourselves. Of course, I believe we get taught this from birth, and even unconsciously pass this from generation to generation. But that kind of thinking does carry a certain energy with it that actually can work against our accepting that we are just where we need to be and have been all along. And to be in the present with our selves empowered by this belief, actually can be very stimulating and creative positive action inducing. 

I have always loved this line from one of John Lennon's songs:
Life is what happens to you, when you're busy making other plans. 
To me, the past only exists as a mem-ory and the future isn't here yet. This helps keep me focused more on what I actually see in front of me. Each moment can be judged as empowered or not, but what if we just don't go there at all. Just me sort of thinking as I write. Hope this makes some sense.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
soulmeaning

Post by soulmeaning »

thoughtful comments, thanks Eelco!
soulmeaning

Post by soulmeaning »

Spiritwind wrote: In fact, I can remember a previous relationship where I had found myself thinking that the other person should be making much better choices and could be doing so much better. Then I thought, what would happen if I turned it around. What if that person really was doing the best that they could for where they were at, and the understanding they currently had. Totally changed the dynamic for me. And then I thought, what if I too was doing the best that I could with the understanding I had, at any point in my life as well. Takes the judgment of self and others right away. 

very nice post, thanks for your ideas!

Return to “Sovereignty”