Employing the Dark Side

"Evil is a source of moral intelligence in the sense that we need to learn from our shadow, from our dark side, in order to be good."
-John Bradshaw
Pris

Re: Employing the Dark Side

Post by Pris »

Hermit wrote:I am always sincere.

I may be crass, or sarcastic, or in drag queen mode, but I always endeavour to be sincere. ;)
Always being sincere is one thing. Endeavouring to be sincere is something else entirely. You thought I wouldn't catch that, eh? :lol:
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

When (if!) I grow up, I want to be a craftsman.

I've struggled with the concept of 'profession' for most of my life, because the concept didn't seem appropriate. As a wee lad, I amused/astonished/alarmed adults by telling them I wanted to be Jesus when I grew up. Years later, I discerned that adults were impressed when you said "Lawyer" (plus my penchant for argument,...).

Sparing the long and lengthy (too?) list of entertained professions, I honestly don't know what I want to do professionally when I grow up. I do know from recent experience that I have a knack for woodworking, and will pursue that aspect with fervor, but as a profession? Nah.

What one is 'becoming', 'trending towards', or indeed manifesting is not necessarily a 'thing-person'. Society will readily classify and relegate, but words do not necessarily adequately define a thing, especially since the 'definition' is based on common lexicon and consensus!

In the meantime, my actual profession demands LOADS more of me than I would otherwise subject myself to (labor, discipline, etc.) and affords me the opportunity to work with the materials which - later on down the road - I will be crafting magnificent things with.

My next challenge, an awesomer fence.

('awesomer' as compared to the fences that appear in my local area. Seriously, with a few exceptions these people are newbs; mine will surpass. ^_^)
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

... except one: I lie too much" - Ilya Alekseyev
Pris

Post by Pris »

Shezbeth wrote:In the meantime, my actual profession demands LOADS more of me than I would otherwise subject myself to (labor, discipline, etc.) and affords me the opportunity to work with the materials which - later on down the road - I will be crafting magnificent things with.

('awesomer' as compared to the fences that appear in my local area. Seriously, with a few exceptions these people are newbs; mine will surpass. ^_^)
I always do my best. That said, I've always gone way above and beyond what is required... but, never as an employee.

Anyway, happy fence building! :)
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

You know,... you might get paid more if you did,....

Don't worry, its not a 'sin' to do so,... in fact its quite pragmatic in the long run,....

Allow me to re-emphasize, I do what I do to promote, elevate, and economically emerge. I aspire to be the sort of EXECUTIVE MANAGER (someday) who can LITERALLY out pile/drive/feed/run EVERYBODY in the company, who understands BOTH the corporate AND the layman side of things.

But in order to do all THAT, I have to see to it that corporate is suitably paid, and I have to see to it that I'M suitably paid.

<me wanders away singin' "It is what it is,... it is what it is,....">

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ptHPp53YAAI[/youtube]

Explicit Lyrics BTW
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

Pris

Post by Pris »

Pris wrote:
Shezbeth wrote:In the meantime, my actual profession demands LOADS more of me than I would otherwise subject myself to (labor, discipline, etc.) and affords me the opportunity to work with the materials which - later on down the road - I will be crafting magnificent things with.

I always do my best. That said, I've always gone way above and beyond what is required... but, never as an employee.

Anyway, happy fence building! :)
Shezbeth wrote:You know,... you might get paid more if you did,....

Don't worry, its not a 'sin' to do so,... in fact its quite pragmatic in the long run,....

Allow me to re-emphasize, I do what I do to promote, elevate, and economically emerge. I aspire to be the sort of EXECUTIVE MANAGER (someday) who can LITERALLY out pile/drive/feed/run EVERYBODY in the company, who understands BOTH the corporate AND the layman side of things.

But in order to do all THAT, I have to see to it that corporate is suitably paid, and I have to see to it that I'M suitably paid.

<me wanders away singin' "It is what it is,... it is what it is,....">

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ptHPp53YAAI[/youtube]

Explicit Lyrics BTW
Lol I knew the money thing would come up. Money has never been my motivator. I couldn't care less about being 'paid more'. Hey, that's just me. ;)
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

And it does not 'have' to be anyone's, but at the moment I lack the resources or situation to furnish an organic garden suitable to sustaining 2 adults and many kittehs, and I haven't developed the sort of relationship with my landlord where they will let me stay for free,... plus I don't (yet) have an alternator hooked to a bycicle and relay to generate power,....

Don't worry though, I'll get there,... and in the meantime, I hope you'll pardon me as I get to it,....

"I have no flaws...

Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

I almost missed this one,....
Pris wrote: I always do my best. That said, I've always gone way above and beyond what is required... but, never as an employee.
Well then you DON'T always do your best do you? What's that phrase about 'we are what we repeatedly do'?

There are two growing consensuses at my work; one involves me being a <insert defamatory term here>, and the other involves me giving good advise, suggestions, encouragement, etc. WRT professionalism and intensity.

The former doesn't feel like they should have to work harder; one said today (not directed AT me, but still) "You know, whether you get 40 units or 50 units, you still get paid the same".

I don't care for (at ALL) the speaker, else I'd have said "For now that's true, but who do you think is more likely to get paid MORE, or is likely to be given an opportunity/advancement when the time comes?"

When I got my most recent promotion, I asked my Foreman why they didn't conduct internal interviews for the position as was customary. He told me "The choice was obvious."

That's how you get shit done.

Grousers love to say that 'the company ALREADY makes plenty of money', yet isn't that appropriate? I mean, I for one don't have millions of dollars invested in property, machinery, liabilities/insurance, etc. I haven't spent the last 75 years building it up from a pallet-building facility into the largest refiner of 1" thick SPF (spruce, pine, fir) lumber... in the world... and neither have any of them who wanna bitch.

The fact is, (and I'm largely composing my thoughts for later use with this) there are two obstacles obstructing higher wages not just for me, but for everyone. The first is management,... which is their job. If every asshole who 'thought' they deserved a raise (almost exclusively without doing anything to warrant it, and usually 'cuz they've been there for a couple years') were given one, then the company would be long bankrupt.

The second obstacle is the grousers themselves! If an individual - and especially a like-minded group of idiots who have been sheltered their WHOLE LIVES in a remote town of a couple thou - is unwilling to put forth even the SLIGHTEST increase in effort and spends every available opportunity whining about it, that probably predisposes those who are in the position to affect increased remuneration to be disinclined. If it were me, I would be,....

Luckily - for me at least - things are shifting. There has been an influx of shockingly competent and self-motivated individuals who are expressing a delightful agree-ability (evidence, not just word) to my position, and who are disinclined to drink the kool-aid that these idiots have been drinking their whole lives (in some cases, for generations).

Today, my latest partner - a n0oB at that (his first week on the saw) - and I broke the production record for our department. This is the second time that has happened in the last month period, (me and another guy, the one before) and that the guy is still training will not go unnoticed by management (cuz I won't let it).

While I am boorish, etc., I also go out of my way to give credit where credit is due, whether credit amounts to negative OR positive publicity. One of my previous trainees is now a lead-hand, two others have been promoted to forklifts, all of whom advanced past long-standing grousers who love to shake their heads and talk shit.

I don't take credit for anyone's intensity mind you, but I DO take credit for weeding out those who are quite simply a waste of time/space. And, management is quite pleased that I do!

Plus, I get to chew ass from time to time. If the military hadn't said 'no' years before, I'd probably have made a half-decent drill instructor. :mrgreen:

"I have no flaws...

Pris

Post by Pris »

Shezbeth wrote:I almost missed this one,....
Pris wrote: I always do my best. That said, I've always gone way above and beyond what is required... but, never as an employee.
Well then you DON'T always do your best do you? What's that phrase about 'we are what we repeatedly do'?
Hehe you caught me on that one. I actually had difficulty putting it into words (amazing, eh?).

My experience as an employee with most employers has been this: only do what must be done and don't waste time doing more even if the job gets done better. I don't know how many times I've gone way above and beyond what was required only to get shot down because I didn't care about the time/profit end of it. If they wanted a fantastic job done, I could do it, but it would take more time and/or cost them more. It's too bad we live on a greed/money-driven planet.

Putting in extra time at my own cost doesn't sit right with me (when I'm the one being bought)... when I've seen time and time again, people doing that only to get shit out regardless.

Note: I work... differently for small 'ma and pa' companies than I do for the giant dick corps. If I connect with a company/project on a personal level and it meets my ideals, I do put in that extra effort.

It goes without saying I always do my best for myself.
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

Today I begin the next leg of my ridiculously circuitous plan.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/EJRL5iXg8Qo[/youtube]

Today I begin the part where I start ripping assholes.

I'm not in an 'authorized' position to rip assholes, in fact those who are authorized to both promote and rip assholes have implicitly indicated that they are not want to authorize me precisely because I'm an insufferable pill. The thing about BEING an insufferable pill however, is to NOT wait for authorization; I'ma do it anyway,... out of love(spite?).

The problem is that there are a small number of individuals who are 'strong' (capable, able-bodied, sharp-witted and self-motivated) who have gotten complacent. In being faster than the 'next guy', they have opted to rest on their laurels and are not concerned with avoiding 'the shark'. However, in their position of not being the next likely shark-bait, they are content to allow others to BE shark-bait. As they say, one needn't outrun the shark,....

But THAT mentality is atavistic. That's precisely the mentality that IMPEDES an emergent,... whatever (company, dynamic, hierarchy, etc.).

And so, rather than continue to lead the pack in out-running the shark (even when I have a gaping hole in my leg - funny story BTW!, and one I'll detail in due course) I'm going to start whipping (figuratively AND literally, I can still easily outrun my 'peers') ppl into shape; my focus is shifting to one of 'inspiring' (adversely of course ^_~) others to run faster, jump higher, and to rebuild them stronger, faster, better.

I am anticipating a HUGE degree of detraction and resistence. In fact, I am quite planning/counting for/on it.

When I pitch the idea to my supervisors, I'm going to start with "I want to be written up,". This should prove for some amusement. ^_^

"I have no flaws...

Return to “The Dark Side - Exploring Our Shadows”