Employing the Dark Side

"Evil is a source of moral intelligence in the sense that we need to learn from our shadow, from our dark side, in order to be good."
-John Bradshaw
Naga_Fireball

Re: Employing the Dark Side

Post by Naga_Fireball »

Deferred gratification is a tough nut :) :lol:
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Pris

Post by Pris »

Shezbeth wrote:Simple.

I control the quality/quantity of output.

When one is opposing the stingy-ness of corporate-types, one will ALWAYS see the law of diminishing returns manifest,... but that does not mean that one experiences NO returns,....
I take it you are in opposition? Are you justifying something here?
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

Opposition to corporate stingy-ness? Of COURSE I am! What kind of question is that?

There are three big items on the mind of a bean-counter; 1. line item expenses, 2. injuries, and 3. productivity. If all three aren't satisfied, then odds are its not gonna happen for raises, bonuses, whatever. Having said, the company coughed up a $200 bonus for the holidays. Now, there is no question in anyone's mind that I am one of the principle drivers of production on my shift. What's more, corporate already likes me 'cuz I sing for them. Ipsofacto, I'm laying the groundwork - literally years in advance - for my continued emergence within the company.

So to comprehensively answer your question, I am in opposition to EVERYONE at my company, because it is the laziness and lack of initiative of other workers that tends to compromise my efforts to advance my own agenda; I am the devil, the villain, and the adversary for,... pretty much everyone I work with. ^_^

Lately my motto has been "Cry some more!!!"
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

... except one: I lie too much" - Ilya Alekseyev
Pris

Post by Pris »

Shezbeth wrote:Opposition to corporate stingy-ness? Of COURSE I am! What kind of question is that?

There are three big items on the mind of a bean-counter; 1. line item expenses, 2. injuries, and 3. productivity. If all three aren't satisfied, then odds are its not gonna happen for raises, bonuses, whatever. Having said, the company coughed up a $200 bonus for the holidays. Now, there is no question in anyone's mind that I am one of the principle drivers of production on my shift. What's more, corporate already likes me 'cuz I sing for them. Ipsofacto, I'm laying the groundwork - literally years in advance - for my continued emergence within the company.

So to comprehensively answer your question, I am in opposition to EVERYONE at my company, because it is the laziness and lack of initiative of other workers that tends to compromise my efforts to advance my own agenda; I am the devil, the villain, and the adversary for,... pretty much everyone I work with. ^_^

Lately my motto has been "Cry some more!!!"

Brown noser.
Big deal... isn't that the expected way to get up the ladder?
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

Sticks and stones love,... I prefer the term 'winner'.

Years ago I read an article written by Ben Stein, about how to succeed in business. The article detailed about how you need to figure out what those in authorized positions want/expect BEFORE they do; one has to subject themselves to greater levels of progress and development than are otherwise required, in advance of the general guidelines.

The idea is that when one eliminates defects and develops assets and resources in their own demeanor/presentation, the greater one's negotiability toward advancement.

Well, that's what I'm doing company-wide. For example, I have a copy of our yearly injury report which neatly and inescapably itemizes that off the 28 reportable injuries sustained over the last year,... 28 involved muscle strains and sprans; all of them.

Who knows if it will work! But, I am working with two of my co-workers on a multi-level proposal by which the company can make steps to reduce/eliminate a significant majority (70%) of those injuries, for the low price of 10 min/day/employee. Simply, in exchange for an hour of overtime per week, the company can - as indicated and supported by empirical research - cut out about 2/3rds of the soft-tissue injuries.

Middle management wants to hear none of it! They want the results to come WITHOUT costing any money,... but that's as ass-backwards as the people who want to get paid more money without doing any more work! Some people have been working the same job for almost 20 years and haven't upped their game the ENTIRE TIME,... and you can guess how that has gone for them.

Upper management has expressly told ME that they want to hear MORE; and they will get it.

Whether the proposal works or not is largely irrelevant. As it is, I am the principle driving force toward addressing the issue of injuries in the new year, and they know it. Pursuing this approach is a win-win, and those who participate with me shall reap the rewards, even if they 'only' amount to taking an aggressive and emergent approach to an element of the company that costs hundreds of thousands per year.

The company I am coming from had chalked up 780 sustained work-days (weekdays) without a reportable injury,... lets see if we can break THAT. ^_~
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

Pris

Post by Pris »

Shezbeth wrote:Sticks and stones love,... I prefer the term 'winner'.

Years ago I read an article written by Ben Stein, about how to succeed in business. The article detailed about how you need to figure out what those in authorized positions want/expect BEFORE they do; one has to subject themselves to greater levels of progress and development than are otherwise required, in advance of the general guidelines.

The idea is that when one eliminates defects and develops assets and resources in their own demeanor/presentation, the greater one's negotiability toward advancement.

Well, that's what I'm doing company-wide. For example, I have a copy of our yearly injury report which neatly and inescapably itemizes that off the 28 reportable injuries sustained over the last year,... 28 involved muscle strains and sprans; all of them.

Who knows if it will work! But, I am working with two of my co-workers on a multi-level proposal by which the company can make steps to reduce/eliminate a significant majority (70%) of those injuries, for the low price of 10 min/day/employee. Simply, in exchange for an hour of overtime per week, the company can - as indicated and supported by empirical research - cut out about 2/3rds of the soft-tissue injuries.

Middle management wants to hear none of it! They want the results to come WITHOUT costing any money,... but that's as ass-backwards as the people who want to get paid more money without doing any more work! Some people have been working the same job for almost 20 years and haven't upped their game the ENTIRE TIME,... and you can guess how that has gone for them.

Upper management has expressly told ME that they want to hear MORE; and they will get it.

Whether the proposal works or not is largely irrelevant. As it is, I am the principle driving force toward addressing the issue of injuries in the new year, and they know it. Pursuing this approach is a win-win, and those who participate with me shall reap the rewards, even if they 'only' amount to taking an aggressive and emergent approach to an element of the company that costs hundreds of thousands per year.

The company I am coming from had chalked up 780 sustained work-days (weekdays) without a reportable injury,... lets see if we can break THAT. ^_~
Just curious... when you are doing what you can to reduce workplace injuries... Are you doing that because you legitimately care about the workers?

Once, I stood up against the management of a large company I worked for at a general meeting attended by everyone (that included day shift and night shift staff). I pointed out the hypocrisy perpetrated by the 'higher ups' in front of everyone -- that they supposedly cared about the safety of their workers -- when they used forklift product videos that were never intended as training videos to train staff. The videos fell short of adherence to CSA standards at the time. I also pointed out it was wrong for management to begin forcing workers to 'upgrade' their skills in areas they were not originally hired for and felt uncomfortable in (involving operation of forklift equipment). Some feared losing their jobs if they did not comply.

They were too afraid to say anything, so I stepped up to the plate. I didn't care what happened next. All that mattered to me was the truth being exposed for all to see. Needless to say, I did not last long in that company after that. This all happened right after someone (conveniently lol) took out a water line with their truck -- a substantial accident that was preventable if proper driving procedures had been followed.

Note: I've always given 100% of myself in everything I've ever done. That's just my built-in 'code' as far back as I can remember. It never felt right to me to use that 'drive' for... subversive purposes.

Unlike you, I don't think I've ever been so excited about being an employee/worker in a profit/money-driven system of control. The whole hierarchical, power-abusive thing was always such a drag. More and more it felt like prostitution/slavery to me no matter how I added it up.

I just watched this. Seems appropriate. :D

Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

Care about the workers?! Heaven's no, what kind of question is that? If the workers want to be 'cared about' - and I mean this - they should care about their damn selves; if THAT happened, I wouldn't have to come up with incentives and proposals to get them to do what they should be doing in the first place: namely (but not exclusively) stretching and calisthenics.

As far as workplace politics,... never make yourself a martyr, there's a Law of Power about that. If there is a hypocritical policy, or a lack of middle-to-upper management follow-through or participation, then that can be addressed in a strategic and cost reductive (as in, the company loses less money by promoting the RIGHT ideas) manner, you're NOT going to promote/accomplish it from the unemployment line!

And yes, corporations are bad, money is bad, and so working for money for corporations is bad. Well, let's assume that corporations weren't in control, lets imagine that a conglomeration of people working from an efficient dynamic of global resource management, supply, and demand, and instead of working for Lumber Company #34 I was working for 'the people'.

'The people' will still need quality product made to established standards with as little resource consumption as possible. They will still need people who can/will go the extra mile to squeeze out a little more production, and I get better at doing 'my best' by DOING 'my best', and by re-investing myself and my capacity in new and creative ways I am simply expanding my capacity.

Were I omitting several aspects of my strategy which are crucial to the overall development, then I would be in concurrence with your position, and even with the steps I have begun there is no 'guarantee of success'. Having said, I am doing my due diligence well above, beyond, and more in depth than previous such attempts, because A. I'm 'working with' - rather than against - those in decisive positions, and B. I'm approaching the situation from the standpoint of planning for individual and collective psychology as an integral and active element. I'm PLANNING for the lazy good-for-nothings, I'm PLANNING for the penny-pinching bureaucrats, I'm PLANNING for the opportunistic corporate wigs,....

"I have no flaws...

Pris

Post by Pris »

Shezbeth wrote:Care about the workers?! Heaven's no, what kind of question is that? If the workers want to be 'cared about' - and I mean this - they should care about their damn selves; if THAT happened, I wouldn't have to come up with incentives and proposals to get them to do what they should be doing in the first place: namely (but not exclusively) stretching and calisthenics.

As far as workplace politics,... never make yourself a martyr, there's a Law of Power about that. If there is a hypocritical policy, or a lack of middle-to-upper management follow-through or participation, then that can be addressed in a strategic and cost reductive (as in, the company loses less money by promoting the RIGHT ideas) manner, you're NOT going to promote/accomplish it from the unemployment line!

And yes, corporations are bad, money is bad, and so working for money for corporations is bad. Well, let's assume that corporations weren't in control, lets imagine that a conglomeration of people working from an efficient dynamic of global resource management, supply, and demand, and instead of working for Lumber Company #34 I was working for 'the people'.

'The people' will still need quality product made to established standards with as little resource consumption as possible. They will still need people who can/will go the extra mile to squeeze out a little more production, and I get better at doing 'my best' by DOING 'my best', and by re-investing myself and my capacity in new and creative ways I am simply expanding my capacity.

Were I omitting several aspects of my strategy which are crucial to the overall development, then I would be in concurrence with your position, and even with the steps I have begun there is no 'guarantee of success'. Having said, I am doing my due diligence well above, beyond, and more in depth than previous such attempts, because A. I'm 'working with' - rather than against - those in decisive positions, and B. I'm approaching the situation from the standpoint of planning for individual and collective psychology as an integral and active element. I'm PLANNING for the lazy good-for-nothings, I'm PLANNING for the penny-pinching bureaucrats, I'm PLANNING for the opportunistic corporate wigs,....
Shezbeth wrote:Care about the workers?! Heaven's no, what kind of question is that?
There you go again -- questioning my questions. It's a good question. All my questions are good. I mean, look at you rant. Again. :lol:

I bet that if those workers were cats, you'd care. :!:

You got me thinking... (imagine that). This discussion made me realize that what we're talking about here is who is willing to make 'the sacrifice play'. I thought of this scene from Avengers... Just like Captain America and Iron Man, I can't help but feel you and I on the same team so-to-speak (if we were these characters, take a wild guess at which one represents you and which represents me).

Ultimately, Iron Man does make 'the sacrifice play'. The experience of doing the 'right' thing resulted in his suffering from PTSD. He had to learn to come to grips with his own demons and came out as a much more... self-realized, centered person.

Shezbeth wrote:I'm PLANNING for the lazy good-for-nothings, I'm PLANNING for the penny-pinching bureaucrats, I'm PLANNING for the opportunistic corporate wigs,....
Overlooking the fact that you seem to be projecting your own personal judgments/biases here, let's say that maybe some people like to be lazy good-for-nothings, penny-pinching bureaucrats and opportunistic corporate wigs. Let them. Why do you care so much? This sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. Care to talk about it?
Pris

Post by Pris »

Shezbeth wrote:As far as workplace politics,... never make yourself a martyr, there's a Law of Power about that. If there is a hypocritical policy, or a lack of middle-to-upper management follow-through or participation, then that can be addressed in a strategic and cost reductive (as in, the company loses less money by promoting the RIGHT ideas) manner, you're NOT going to promote/accomplish it from the unemployment line!
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

(Don't mind Shezbeth everyone. He's actually the reincarnation of Ayn Rand.)

;)

PS: I'm about half way through Atlas Shrugged for the third time. Still as riveting as the first time.
Ingressum instruas, progressum dirigas, egressum compleas.

Return to “The Dark Side - Exploring Our Shadows”