Preparing for the Grand Solar Minimum & Food Crisis w/ IceAgeFarmer

"Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."
-Muhammad Ali
Spiritwind

Preparing for the Grand Solar Minimum & Food Crisis w/ IceAgeFarmer

Post by Spiritwind »

Watched this with my husband last night after Christine posted it to the EE FB group. It was easy and informative to watch, and a good summary I thought. I so seriously want that semi underground greenhouse to extend the growing season and help mitigate changing weather issues.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/hzUC9yKiKfI[/youtube]
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Spiritwind

Re: Preparing for the Grand Solar Minimum & Food Crisis w/ IceAgeFarmer

Post by Spiritwind »

Here is a little more information on the grand solar minimum.

Cosmic rays increase remarkably as solar activity shows persistent decline, resembles Dalton minimum of 1790 - 1830

Posted by Julie Celestial on August 12, 2020
https://watchers.news/2020/08/12/cosmic ... 1790-1830/?

Recent solar conditions indicate a persistent decline in solar activity‐‐‐possibly similar to the past solar grand minima, scientists reporting in AGU's Space Weather write. During such periods of low solar activity, the fluxes of galactic cosmic rays (GCRs) increase remarkably, presenting a hazard for long‐term crewed space missions and affecting Earth's climate system. The current situation resembles the Dalton minimum of 1790 ‐ 1830 or the Gleissberg minimum of 1890 ‐ 1920.

"During the next solar cycle, we could see cosmic ray dose rates increase by as much as 75 percent," said lead author Fatemeh Rahmanifard of the University of New Hampshire’s Space Science Center. This means that the number of time astronauts can safely work in interplanetary space will be limited as GCRs present a hazard for space missions.

Cosmic rays originate from deep space; energetic particles launched in all directions by supernova explosions and other violent space events. These rays blaze at the speed of light and have been blamed for problems in satellites, electronics, and other machinery. No matter how much a spacecraft is shielded, it cannot stop the most energetic particles. This leaves astronauts exposed to danger whenever they leave the Earth-Moon system.

"Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere shields the planet from 99.9 percent of the radiation from space. However, for people outside the protection of Earth's magnetic field, space radiation becomes a serious hazard," wrote Elizabeth Howell of Space.com. 

"The moon has no atmosphere and a very weak magnetic field. Astronauts living there would have to provide their own protection, for example by burying their habitat underground."

Around three decades ago, astronauts could travel through space for as long as 1 000 days before hitting NASA safety limits on radiation exposure. However, the new study notes that intensifying cosmic rays will limit space trips to only 290 days for male astronauts aged 45, and 204 days for females. Men and women have different limits because cosmic rays pose unequal dangers to reproductive organs.

Dr. Tony Phillips of SpaceWeather.com remarks, "Why are cosmic rays growing stronger? Blame the sun." The Sun's magnetic field shields the entire solar system in a protective bubble, normally protecting us from GCRs. But in recent decades, the shield has been getting weaker as a result of the sputtering solar cycle.

During the 1950s, 60s, and 70s, the Sun constantly produced intense Solar Maxima with abundant sunspots and powerful solar magnetic fields. But since the 1990s, the 11-year sunspot cycle has weakened, and the magnetic field has lost its strength along with it.

"These are long term solar variations, on the timescales of centuries, which are superimposed on the 11-year solar cycle," Rhamanifard and her colleagues explained. "We appear to be in one now."

The most famous case of a Grand Minimum is the Maunder Minimum, which occurred around 1645 to 1715 during which sunspots became extremely rare and virtually just vanished. Rahmanifard, however, pointed out that we are not in such conditions.

"The current situation more closely resembles the lesser Dalton minimum of 1790‐1830 or the Gleissberg minimum of 1890‐1920," she said. During those occasions, the solar cycle weakened but did not entirely go away.

Like the Maunder Minimum and Spörer Minimum, the Dalton Minimum was marked by lower-than-average global temperatures. Additionally, periods of lower solar activity are connected with increased volcanism -- largely responsible for the cooling trend, earthquakes, and extreme weather events, both global and regional, especially extreme rainfall.

On April 5, 1815, 26 years into Dalton Minimum, Mount Tambora in Indonesia erupted in one of the two largest eruptions in the past 2 000 (VEI-7) and the largest observed eruption in recorded history. One of the global results was the 'Year Without a Summer' in 1816. This brief period of significant climate change triggered extreme weather and harvest failures in many areas around the world. 

The explosion had an estimated Volcanic Explosivity Index of 7. An estimated 41 km3 (9.8 mi3) of pyroclastic trachyandesite were ejected, weighing about 10 billion tonnes. This left a caldera measuring 6 - 7 km (3.7 4.3 mi) across and 600 - 700 m (2 000 - 2 300 feet)  deep.

For years, scientists have been monitoring GCRs using CRaTER-- a sensor onboard NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. The researchers in this study took the latest readings from CRaTER and "extrapolated them forward into Solar Cycle 25 (the next solar cycle), assuming we're in a Dalton-like minimum."

"We found that radiation doses will probably exceed already unprecedentedly-high values by 34 to 75 percent," Rahmanifard stated. In interplanetary space, the researchers warned that "the next decade or two may be more dangerous than previously realized."

Reference
"Galactic Cosmic Radiation in the Interplanetary Space Through a Modern Secular Minimum" - Rahmanifard, F. et al. - Space Weather - https://doi.org/10.1029/2019SW002428
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Spiritwind

Re: Preparing for the Grand Solar Minimum & Food Crisis w/ IceAgeFarmer

Post by Spiritwind »

Here is a little more information about this particular cycle. Earths magnetosphere is weakening, which needs to be factored in. I’m hoping next year we can get our partially underground greenhouse put together. It needs to happen. Maybe make shelters for the goats partially underground too! I know, might be a bit much to pull off, but it doesn’t hurt to think ahead.

Global Cooling? NOAA Confirms ‘Full-blown’ Grand Solar Minimum

SEPTEMBER 5, 2020 BY NEWS WIRE

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/09/05/ ... r-minimum/

The signs are clearer than ever. The Sun is heading into a new “solar minimum” cycle now.

Despite loud claims in recent decades that man-made CO2 is somehow driving the Earth’s climate, history and science demonstrate that the largest and most influential driver of planetary climate is actually the Sun.

NASA data shows clearly that sunspot counts and solar flares are dropping which is a clear indicator that solar activity is receding slightly, which means that the Earth’s climate will change, only it won’t be getting warmer.

One known indicator of solar activity is the presence of sunspots. When they are high in number, the solar activity is stronger. When sunspots are few, then we’re more likely to see slightly less solar intensity. The last peak in sunspot activity was in 2014, and now we’ve reached a new low point in 2020.

RELATED: Scientists tackle burning question: When will our quiet sun turn violent?

A solar minimum does not mean that we’ll no longer have regular heat waves and warm weather, it simply means that solar activity will change, and this could translate into lower overall temperatures on Earth for the duration of this solar cycle – which could last beyond 2030.

For those paying attention, this is not breaking news as NASA had announced this trend many times before, albeit quietly. But as one would expect in the current political epoch, any talk of ‘global cooling’ is not likely to generate headlines.

It’s a fact that 2020 saw Europe having one of its coldest summers on record. Indeed, winter is coming.

Their press releases surely won’t admit it, but NOAA’s PREDICTED SUNSPOT NUMBER AND RADIO FLUX data appears to show a ‘full-blown’ Grand Solar Minimum running from the late-2020s to at least the 2040s.

NOAA (who’s solar forecasts generally come out higher than NASA’s) say it won’t be until mid-2025 before we see the peak of the next Solar Cycle (25), with the maximum topping out at 114.6 sunspots:

NOAA predicts Solar Cycle 25 will max out at 114.6 sunspots in July, 2025 (note this is far higher than NASA’s official prediction of around 30 to 40 sunspots).

NOAA’s forecast then begins to plot the descent into the minimum of Cycle 25 from mid-2025 to 2031-or-thereabouts; and while all this paints Solar Cycle 25 as another historically weak cycle (one similar to 24 and which will continue the cooling trend), it isn’t the story here.

The story is that NOAA aren’t seeing the expected ramp-up into Cycle 26. When the sunspot number should be climbing back up, the agency’s data (linked here) reveals sunspots remain low, and actually continuing dropping.
NOAA is predicting all-but ZERO sunspots throughout the 2030s.

There is no ramp-up into Solar Cycle 26.

Nor are there any signs of the start of Solar Cycle 27: the data only runs through the year 2040, but within those final twelve months a SPOTLESS sun persists.

NOAA is predicting a ‘full-blown’ Grand Solar Minimum (GSM)
GSM’s have the potential to hold sunspots at ZERO for multiple decades. The most famous example is the Maunder Minimum (1645-1715) which brought plummeting temperatures, crop loss, famine, and the deaths of hundreds of millions of people ACROSS the planet.

Unfortunately, history repeats — climate is cyclic, never linear. But unlike during the Maunder Minimum, there’s a twist this time around; we modern humans have another cosmological factor to contend with: Earth’s magnetosphere –a key line of defense against incoming Cosmic Rays– is waning at an increasing rate as north and south magnetic poles continue their wander.

The field is expected to be considerably weaker by 2040, and, as with previous magnetic excursions/reversals, these events can lead to an uptick in volcanic/seismic activity, solar outbursts, and even the onset of ice ages.

These two independent factors occurring simultaneously –-a Grand Solar Minimum AND a Pole Shift– are throwing us something of a curve-ball. Each factor alone results in a dramatic waning of earth’s magnetosphere, the upshot of which is more Cosmic Rays entering our atmosphere nucleating clouds, sending volcanoes a’poppin’, cooling the planet, and affecting biology.

Modern civilization is entering unprecedented times…

Continue this story at Electroverse

Return to “General discussions”