Poll :Do you want the "thank you for this post" feature disabled on this forum?

"Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."
-Muhammad Ali

Do you want the "thank you for this post" feature disabled on this forum?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:18 pm

yes
33%
no
67%

Total votes: 15

Cristian

Poll :Do you want the "thank you for this post" feature disabled on this forum?

Post by Cristian »

:P
Christine
Site Admin

Re: Poll :Do you want the "thank you for this post" feature disabled on this forum?

Post by Christine »

Ok, I had to think about it.

I like the thank you button as I use it to let people know I read their posts. However, and I get it that we are stretching into something potentially very "not done before". So after thinking about, I will vote no more thank you button, it will sort of force us to actually thank the person's post by writing or find some other more meaningful acknowledgement.

Good call on putting this poll up!
The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.
Cristian

Re: Poll :Do you want the "thank you for this post" feature disabled on this forum?

Post by Cristian »

vox populi at Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:18 pm when the poll ends :P
Pluto's Child

Post by Pluto's Child »

My sensible side wants to say "yes" but I'm getting such a buzz off the serotonin I can't bring myself to do it Image

Thanks Cristian just for added irony :mrgreen:
norman

Post by norman »

I agree very much with how Christine explained her thinking on this.

We can always vote to have it put back, if we find we'd rather cluster enthuse than talk ;)
"The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy." -- Charles de Montesquieu
Phil

Post by Phil »

I have personally voted against it by not trying to find it. Is my account different? I can't for the life of me find the option for it anywhere....but I don't mind because I am actively choosing not to use it.

I found in bumping around to other forums, some types seem to have an addiction to it...and get upset and often comment a lot about it when they don't have it. Personally I think you should keep it, as seeing the thanks to me seems better than posts (and even threads) by the "thankers" that seem to need it....
What is the purpose of your presence?
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Little thumb upper right hand corner.
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Thanking while I still can :)

Honestly though, I really don't care one way or the other. There are both pros and cons either way. Good to shake things up and try something new though.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

Put me in the 'No' camp.

For one, its already there; if it ain't broke, why fix it.

For two, I appreciate Christine's sentiment but while this group is small and relatively intimate at the moment, there may come a time where there are a sufficient quantity of participants where everyone posting a 'thank you' would unnecessarily encumber the forum.
In a variety of other forums, I personally was disgusted with the degree that individuals felt compelled to (often unnecessarily verbosely) wax idiotic about their experience of the post, often doubling (or more) the size of the thread. I'm not besmirching gratitude, but I am besmirching the tendency to go overboard when a simple click can do the job. This saves the reader time and energy, it leaves inboxes AND threads open for CONTENT, and it streamlines the running of the forum.

Personally, I find that the best method of addressing this 'issue' would be to have a separate thread for expressing gratitude - OH WAIT, THERE IS A WHOLE SUB-FORUM FOR THAT - where individuals can thank/link-to the posts/threads appreciated exhaustively and to their heart's content.

But that's just MY opinion.
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

... except one: I lie too much" - Ilya Alekseyev
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

The feminine proclivity is to change her mind, how do I do that? Actually I really don't care either, it is an interesting exercise nevertheless. As PC said there is a bit of a serotonin rush being appreciated, nothing wrong with that.

Return to “General discussions”