EMPATH....what does it mean to you?..

"Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."
-Muhammad Ali
Pris

Re: EMPATH....what does it mean to you?..

Post by Pris »

norman wrote:
Anders wrote:I suspect real empathy is something that hasn't evolved yet in us humans on Earth. Because when we (ordinary people) relate to another person we do that through our own mental patterns, so what we have now is a relationship with our own thoughts and emotions, which are detached and isolated from the thoughts and emotions of the other person.
I couldn't have dreamed of saying it better than that.

I too, suspect that true empathy will only show up in the human race when true telepathy is standard talk. Not that telepathy is "bigger" than empathy, just that when you see telepathy is common, then you can be sure empathy is getting basic and real.
I couldn't have disagreed more with all of this than I do. ;)
Pris

Post by Pris »

Anders wrote:
norman wrote:
Anders wrote:I suspect real empathy is something that hasn't evolved yet in us humans on Earth. Because when we (ordinary people) relate to another person we do that through our own mental patterns, so what we have now is a relationship with our own thoughts and emotions, which are detached and isolated from the thoughts and emotions of the other person.

I too, suspect that true empathy will only show up in the human race when true telepathy is standard talk. Not that telepathy is "bigger" than empathy, just that when you see telepathy is common, then you can be sure empathy is getting basic and real.
In that case I believe it will be "telepathy" on an emotional level more than thoughts. We kind of already have synthetic telepathy in the form of cell phones. And our thinking will still be mostly our own thoughts. And we will still use our ordinary voice and body language, because that's a more full communication than mere thoughts sent from mind to mind. Just a guess. Bruce Lipton talked about how humanity will become one super organism called Gaia and that we humans today in a fractal way are like tiny cells compared to the whole human body. And Peter Russell described it as a global brain emerging on our planet.
Always the same subject matter/agenda... Are you attempting to gain a cult following in this forum?
Anders

Post by Anders »

Pris wrote:
Anders wrote: In that case I believe it will be "telepathy" on an emotional level more than thoughts. We kind of already have synthetic telepathy in the form of cell phones. And our thinking will still be mostly our own thoughts. And we will still use our ordinary voice and body language, because that's a more full communication than mere thoughts sent from mind to mind. Just a guess. Bruce Lipton talked about how humanity will become one super organism called Gaia and that we humans today in a fractal way are like tiny cells compared to the whole human body. And Peter Russell described it as a global brain emerging on our planet.
Always the same subject matter/agenda... Are you attempting to gain a cult following in this forum?
No, that was just a guess. I'm not a confident New Age guru with a message of certainty. :mrgreen:

J. Krishnamurti talked about "thinking together" so maybe there is some kind of collective thinking possible where groups of people can join in a shared mind. It's just that I feel that telepathy in the form it's often presented is about sending thoughts between people, which to me seems like a poor and perhaps even disturbing form of communication.
norman

Post by norman »

This is kicking over the turf quite well.
"The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy." -- Charles de Montesquieu
Pris

Post by Pris »

norman wrote:

Anders wrote:
Pris wrote:
Anders wrote: In that case I believe it will be "telepathy" on an emotional level more than thoughts. We kind of already have synthetic telepathy in the form of cell phones. And our thinking will still be mostly our own thoughts. And we will still use our ordinary voice and body language, because that's a more full communication than mere thoughts sent from mind to mind. Just a guess. Bruce Lipton talked about how humanity will become one super organism called Gaia and that we humans today in a fractal way are like tiny cells compared to the whole human body. And Peter Russell described it as a global brain emerging on our planet.
No, that was just a guess. I'm not a confident New Age guru with a message of certainty. :mrgreen:
If it was just a guess, then maybe you oughtn't say it as a 'confident New Age guru with a message of certainty'. Just saying.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Telepathy is a mind to mind communication, it's speaking with your mouth shut.
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

Telepathy is more common than people care to realize.

To put it into perspective, telepathy happens every time you speak with another human being. We've just trained ourselves really well to ignore it or pretend it's not going on.

Empathy, on the other hand, requires a certain amount of sacrifice. In order to be empathic, you need to be able to move beyond yourself, your own interests, and disconnect with selfishness (even for just a moment).

Which may in turn bring up the old hack question of service to others versus service to self.

Might I suggest the solution to that problem is not concentrating on who is doing what to whom, but what one is doing? Service should be the focus.

And I smell worms. A lot of worms. ;)
Ingressum instruas, progressum dirigas, egressum compleas.
Phil

Post by Phil »

To me, someone with empathic qualities is someone who can listen to or share space with another--and not take it personally or get defensive if the other says or does something they don't agree with. It means accepting who they (both themselves, and the other) actually are...and not being able but to help acting accordingly.

When I think of Empath, I think of people who absorb and truly feel the emotions of others more than me...and I think of myself as more empathic than "average", in that I have worked pretty hard at unlearning the emotionally immature habits I picked up along the way.
What is the purpose of your presence?
Anders

Post by Anders »

Hermit wrote: Might I suggest the solution to that problem is not concentrating on who is doing what to whom, but what one is doing? Service should be the focus.
I agree with the first part, kind of. One should be aware of what the One is doing, what the Self is doing, which includes both oneself and all others. I disagree with service since that implies that we should be each other's slaves, each other's products or human resources. If someone says: "I'm a selfless person" do you think "What hypocrisy" or do you think "What a wonderful person!" ? In fact, selflessness means a lack of personal integrity and individual sovereignty. "Service to others" as something good is New Age propaganda, promoted out of ignorance, as a form of energy vampire manipulation or as a meme to keep people confused and separated. Imagine a spiritual community with a lot of "selfless people" and a lot of energy vampires. Not a pretty picture. A big mess of hypocrisy, ignorance and manipulation.

"A woman once told me that when she was a child her Jesuit cousin gave a retreat in the Jesuit church in Milwaukee. He opened each conference with the words: "The test of love is sacrifice, and the gauge of love is unselfishness". That's marvelous! I asked her, "Would you want me to love you at the cost of my happiness"? "Yes", she answered. Isn't that delightful? Wouldn't that be wonderful? SHE would love me at the cost of HER happiness and I would love her at the cost of MY happiness, and so you've got two unhappy people, but LONG LIVE LOVE!" -- Anthony de Mello
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

I AM consciousness in Fullness ... doesn't need to be of service to other for other is self. Empathy for me is a Natural State of Being that feels All. For me this hasn't been a sacrifice, unless you mean the way the false ego struggles when its grip is pried away from what it is covering, to reveal ones inner light.

This ability to feel empathy and I don't limit that to people, it is a "vibratory" extension of self into all things both big and small, it is a gift of gifts and is more than telepathy, it is a sense of communion.
Hermit wrote:Telepathy is more common than people care to realize.

To put it into perspective, telepathy happens every time you speak with another human being. We've just trained ourselves really well to ignore it or pretend it's not going on.

Empathy, on the other hand, requires a certain amount of sacrifice. In order to be empathic, you need to be able to move beyond yourself, your own interests, and disconnect with selfishness (even for just a moment).

Which may in turn bring up the old hack question of service to others versus service to self.

Might I suggest the solution to that problem is not concentrating on who is doing what to whom, but what one is doing? Service should be the focus.

And I smell worms. A lot of worms. ;)
The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.

Return to “General discussions”