Tales of teh Zonbi Nin

Shezbeth

Re: Tales of teh Zonbi Nin

Post by Shezbeth »

In order for jokes to be effective,... they have to be funny. Even hackers/trolls will tell you, if its not funny then you're just being a dick.

Yesterday, we broke our production record.

It has been 6 months since the last time that happened. The significance goes beyond breaking the record, and I'm tickled as F--- to explain why.

When my department (the ReSaw) was revived last winter, the reputation, morale, and professionalism were absent at best. No one took pride in their work, no one bothered to do anything but the BARE minimum (to the point that ppl were having to be corrected in their base requirements).

And then came FA. I won't go into lengthy detail, but I've been around a lumber yard of two, with more experience than all but the grizzliest of veterans.

As one can readily determine from my other positions, I am a difficult taskmaster. I am demanding, callous, inconsiderate, boorish,... the list goes on. I expect everyone in my area to do their best; nothing more, nothing less.

Well, when I started in that dept. the attitude was 'I'll do my job, but nothing more'.

The department does not operate that way any more.

For one, instead of 'we've done enough', I am increasingly recipient to comments like "We're gonna try for one more unit" or "We can do better than yesterday" or even "We're gonna get 20 units!" (an impossible number mathematically speaking, but THAT'S F-ING RIGHT as far as the disposition).

Fans of Ender's Game might appreciate that for me, this is the revival of the Dragon Army.

I do not take sole/exclusive credit, but it would be disingenuous to not admit to being a significant part of the transition.

So to summarize, after a literal year of pestering, prodding, encouraging, and in many cases burying ppl with wood, I can report that there is a new paradigm in my department. That paradigm is one of seeking to surpass one's self, having fun doing it, laughing at the ridiculousness of it all, and otherwise aspiring to a higher standard of quality, professionalism, and productivity.

<me blows on his fingernails and rubs them against his chest>

It wasn't much, and I accept no accolades. Moving on,....
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

... except one: I lie too much" - Ilya Alekseyev
Pris

Post by Pris »

Shezbeth wrote:In order for jokes to be effective,... they have to be funny. Even hackers/trolls will tell you, if its not funny then you're just being a dick.

Shezbeth wrote:As one can readily determine from my other positions, I am a difficult taskmaster. I am demanding, callous, inconsiderate, boorish,... the list goes on.
Oh? In other words you're a dick? At least I try to be funny.
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

This conversation is priceless.
The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

No Pris, the recent 'Tuck Frump' video TRIES to be funny. You on the other hand just try to be a bitch; conjecture of course.

Though, this gives me a perfect opportunity to express one of my favorite aspects of lumber milling; its not for sissies, whiners, grousers, etc. One either brings their 'A' game or they go home, often blaming others for their own insufficiency.

Simply put, we do not cater to weakness in the forestry products industry.

You should see the conversations that go on around the break table! Its BRUTAL! ^_^
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

Hermit

Post by Hermit »

What about turning down chess games? Is that weakness or just strategic evacuation?
Ingressum instruas, progressum dirigas, egressum compleas.
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

That depends entirely on the context. Care to apply more specifics?

BTW, am I the only person who is tiring of this hit-and-run, terse, jibe-type 'arguments'? Does NO one have a reasonable argument to properly conduce, align, and present? I'll beat-about n0oBs until the cows come home, but I have to wonder about the pragmatism behind it all.

"I have no flaws...

Hermit

Post by Hermit »

Funny, I've been waiting about 10 days for you to do exactly that, but you seem to be avoiding doing it.

And the really bizzare thing is it reminds me of a certain challenge you once made to play chess with a certain individual who also turned it down.

I guess what I'm wondering is: are you avoiding accepting my challenge for the same reasons? (You can't always be on the offensive, but you can generally be offensive. ;))

mmmmm is that bacon I smell, or is it chicken?
Last edited by Hermit on Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

;)
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

I wouldn't frustrate a man who knows how to operate a wood chipper.

Where i live, unfortunately, dumpsters claim more lives. True story :(
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Pris

Post by Pris »

Shezbeth wrote:No Pris, the recent 'Tuck Frump' video TRIES to be funny. You on the other hand just try to be a bitch; conjecture of course.

Though, this gives me a perfect opportunity to express one of my favorite aspects of lumber milling; its not for sissies, whiners, grousers, etc. One either brings their 'A' game or they go home, often blaming others for their own insufficiency.

Simply put, we do not cater to weakness in the forestry products industry.

You should see the conversations that go on around the break table! Its BRUTAL! ^_^
Oh, Shezbeth... I do try, I really do, to be more than just a bitch. Yes, I do agree that your judgement of me is inconclusive as, apparently, you do not have all the pieces... your pieces lol... in a row. According to you, we're all adversaries in some kind of game. I'd think I'm living up to your wildest expectations of me.

Return to “The Dojo - Zonbi Ninshu”