El Árbol de la Vida | Snippets From the Shop

“La verdad es que mientras más enojado estoy con este país y más lejos viajo, más mexicano me siento.”
― Jorge Ibargüengoitia, Instrucciones para vivir en México
Christine
Site Admin

El Árbol de la Vida | Snippets From the Shop

Post by Christine »

Since I spend most of my waking hours here at The El, as it is often called now, I thought I would share some snippets and photos. The shop pretty much revolves around the four legged ones that populate the place—Catrina, Cooper, Carl and Angel. And then there is my friend Michael, who has fondly been dubbed The Man Who Lives in the Chair because he is always here unless he's got stuff to do around town. He took the video below while shop sitting for me the other day.

We've become a little hang out for those who seek good and often deep conversation along with plenty of laughter, much needed in these days of demise. What's so satisfying for me personally is that we've developed a camaraderie even though we are all looking through different lenses. Michael is the normie among us though I think he is only pretending to be one so he can maintain his social standing and position among the folks he wines and dines with. The opposite end of the spectrum is D----e (he hates anyone talking about him) who is deep into fakeology with little tolerance for the NPCs as he calls them. I appreciate them both so much and have found my internal prejudice meter usually hovers on neutral these days. And I have my lady friends, Marcy who I can go deep with, she's devoutly Christian and struggles with some very deep sorrow... she never balks when I speak of ancient history, other cultures and other spiritual paths. In over three years we have never triggered each other and seem to flow in some incomprehensible way. Everyone is a character in their own rite and some magic has brought us all together. There are several others, in many ways each in the process of recovering their lost divinity and re-learning what it truly means to be human.

Yes, I still have my lucky boots and with the weather cooling have worn them lately. What I really mean is that I feel so fortunate to have been coerced into being the proprietress of this little café. It's in the private, no advertising, no signs on the street, no inspectors, and no rules to follow. People find it only by word of mouth or the few that happen to wander into an empty parking lot that we are nestled at the back of...

Next installment will be observations from the field on the little miracles budding up around me. See you then.

Marcy with Angel, it's a love affair.

The Man Who Lives (and sleeps) in the Chair

Palomino the donkey wonders what is going on??

"the smell of colitas rising up in the air"... a rather crazy day of smoke and rain on the tin roof. Kursat the Turk and Crazy Christina, an odd couple to say the least.

A bit of a clumsy way to get this video to load on the forum, I am sure there is another way but I didn't feel like figuring it out.
The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.
Christine
Site Admin

Re: El Árbol de la Vida | Snippets From the Shop

Post by Christine »

Having soaked in some sun on a quiet morning, watched the clouds drift in a sparkling blue sky, thought I would share a bit about the comings and goings at the shop. We had a busy month, new people dropping by and finding they are in a space that is not like anywhere else. Conversations range from deep introspection to banal banter. Both work for me these days, sometimes it's just plain good to play normal. 😁

I am not sure where I shared the photo of our new feline friend, she's totally photogenic, awesome and mysterious—as any cat will be. She was named Smokey but Michael kept calling her a him and calling her Shadow. A few days ago she rather adamantly let me know that she would like to be Mystique. After some back and forth vibes we settled on Misty. Last night she was moon bathing and Michael caught this photo, Misty in the moonlight so she acquired her full name: Misty Moonlight, and yes, she is still a wolf cat.

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

If cats finding you is an indication that Spirit is bestowing love, I can but gratefully accept. Michael, who takes care of the animales on Sunday just sent me this video. The ginger cat on the wall is not our Cooper, looks like we have a new visitor.

And because Angel is feeling left out, here he is.

New year, new look.
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

That orange cat in yesterday's video was up on the roof of the café this morning so Cooper went up to claim his territory. A hissy fight started so I got out the hose to shoo the intruder away. Coop got his nose swiped but came down content to claim his rule again. Here is his mug shot, he has a new collar and name tag which surprisingly he doesn't seem to mind at all. There is an nosey busy-body lady over at Michael's place who threatened to call the local pound to pick him up because he was a "feral cat". So now he is obviously someone's beloved cat. 😋

Cooper, mug shot - 02 Jan 2023
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

I almost forgot to share this video. You see, Michael is now being called an "influencer" here in town. He literally revels in his social popularity and it has helped people find the "secret café". I didn't plan a marketing campaign around being a hidden shop, it was my way of weathering the scamdemic rules and regulations, so we went undercover. Enjoy!

When Michael Solof lost his dream job in the US, he found his dream life in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

Michael was the curator of a comic book museum until the collection was purchased by the US Library of Congress. Out of a job, Michael looked at international living, trying a few options before settling in in San Miguel de Allende, 4 hours north of Mexico City.

Find Michael on Facebook: Experience SMA https://www.facebook.com/groups/82515...
Sign up for Michael's Photography Workshops: https://experiencesma.com/michael-sol...

San Miguel de Allende is one of the oldest US expat communities in the world. It's a beautiful, small town where many Americans have created their dream lives or dream retirements. SMA is often listed as one of the best places to retire. Expats from around the world call San Miguel home without overwhelming the local culture.

San Miguel is a UNESCO World Heritage Site (and was previously a Pueblo Magico.)

Support this channel by buying me a margarita over at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/AlmostRe...
Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Last Friday we had a birthday celebration for Juan, my aging neighbor, who was despondent because he doesn't get any support from his family. He lives across the street from the shoppe and remembers me fondly from my arrival as a young woman to San Miguel. Like many who come to visit — he talks and I listen. He thinks I am special and is always doing nice things for me like gifting me with plants from his rooftop garden. It was a real joy to invite some friends to help him feel special, if even for one day.

We had a few bottles of Mezcal and Michael swears he drank the worm from the bottom of the bottle.

And today we have proof that cats and dogs can co-exist peacefully, they both fell asleep shortly after this shot.

And Misty Moonlight, the wolf cat is making her presence known. She's quite something, the dogs and other cats walk a wide swath around her.

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

A hodgepodge of a post. Taking a moment in a task filled Sunday to share a few thoughts and some photos, both present and past.

Last year I put off so many little jobs—there they sat, staring at me, reminding me that someday I would put order to the semi-chaos of unhung art, over filled drawers, dozens of empty jars and jars with powders and seeds, all unlabeled—lots of them went into the trash.

Going from one task to the other in no particular order my mind wandered to the state of my being, the parts that I am so grateful for in the here and now and also flashes of scenes from the past. Life can be soulfully interesting without attachment.

Angel sleeps on the sofa, meanwhile I work. A dog's life!

The shop continues to serve its purpose, enough income for my basic needs and the fabulous opportunities to observe the people who visit. Many have become good friends. What is so striking is the differences in personalities and character, obviously some more pleasant and uplifting than others, yet everyone brings an opportunity for insight to the table we often sit around. My “job” if you could call it that is to hold space and remain unperturbed by the dynamics that occur. The other evening there were four gentlemen who arrived around closing, Each of these men is so different on every level imaginable, instead of directing any conversation I watched—something magical was occurring though I don't know the outcome.

I’ve also reconnected with Esther (on my left in photo), she was my pattern maker back in the day when I had a boutique. It’s been beneficial for both of us. I grew some cannabis last year, dried and cured one plant but it has so many seeds that I stored it and forgot about it. She is a chocolatier who makes “special” chocolates, so I pulled out my stash and she is trading for chocolates. I have also given some away asking only for feed back on the effects since I don’t partake. Everyone told me it was excellent, thus inspired I have a new crop coming up.

In my Diva days, opening night celebration of the remodeled shop in 2002. There was some supposedly spectacular planetary conjunction though I can't recall what it was now.

There are also a lot of movements in action right now, it foretells a change in my life too. Since I am content to stay in observant flow there is no need to know what this might be. These feelings of personal change have been in the field for many months and I have not been able to fix anything tangible, yet.

Angel on Michael's lap less than a year ago. Michael is fondly known as the man who lives in the chair.

Angel on Michael's lap this past week, I guess a dog growing is a good marker that time is passing.

A meme of my journey through England and elsewhere, it mysteriously appeared in my files so thought it a good message in which to close these musings.

Return to “Life in Mexico”