The Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
-Albert Einstein
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I’m on day four of my lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne fast, and just downed a glass of warm water with sea salt (yes, it did make me shudder). That’s primarily why I haven’t been posting. I feel pretty good, most of the time, but it’s been all I can do to keep up with farm duties and inclement weather conditions. My sinuses are clearing up, and I wish I could do the full ten days. Unfortunately, we still haven’t got our little car back, and the current owner (not for long!) at the hotel my husband works at just changed our pay date from today, Friday, until Monday’s now. And, I have just enough lemons to get through today. The toxic overload most of us are afflicted with is pretty substantial, though.

So, even though I don’t have much time to post this morning, I want to share this for those who want to fast, but don’t think they can do it. The maple syrup gives you enough energy to keep up with your daily routine, and for the most part takes away the intense feelings of hunger. The down side is, if you are cooking for someone else, the smell of food will start to drive you crazy after day three (it does me anyway). But this is a relatively cheap and doable way to improve your over all health, and reduce some of the effects from our environment. Even when we try to eat good, it’s just not that easy to constantly maintain for most of us. For me, I love cheese and bread, the two things that cause a lot of mucus and inflammation. I’m hoping that by switching to fresh non-pasteurized goats milk cheese, I at least might not have to give up both. And, of course, sugar is another one, although I don’t eat hardly any of that.

http://themastercleanse.com/master-clea ... -cleanser/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stanley Burroughs published The Master Cleanser in 1976. Since then thousands and thousands of people have used it to cleanse their way to better health and slimmer, trimmer bodies. His book was one of the first books to popularize a detox diet.

In addition to the cleanse, sometimes referred to as the Lemonade Diet, Burroughs included his philosophy of disease and home remedies for various ailments such as ring worm, dandruff, fungus growths on the hands or feet, athlete’s foot, indigestion, gas and more. He also includes vegetarian recipes and menus. It has been a classic for decades.

After coaching literally thousands of people on The Master Cleanse, I’ve found that people’s results can be increased dramatically if they are made aware of the 12 most common pitfalls. So now, I only sell The Master Cleanser with The 12 Most Common Pitfalls booklet.

In addition to that booklet, I also wrote and published an updated book on The Master Cleanse called Lose Weight, Have More Energy & Be Happier in 10 Days, when I realized there were many unanswered questions about the Master Cleanse that the original booklet didn’t answer, such as:

* How does detoxification lead to weight loss?
* What can you expect on the cleanse?
* Which days are the roughest?
* Is the salt water flush essential?
* What does the cayenne pepper do?
* What to do when it seems nothing is happening?
* How does the Master Cleanse affect women?
* What is the best indication that the cleanse is complete?
* What are the five detox symptoms and why are they important?
* What tends to cause headaches on the cleanse?
* What quantities of the ingredients do you need to buy?
* Why should the maple syrup be organic?
* Can you exercise while on the cleanse?
* What about quitting smoking?
* What about the pill and the cleanse
* And much more
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Spiritwind

Re: The Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs

Post by Spiritwind »

I am going to add this one to this thread, as it is another really important, easy, inexpensive addition to my cast of natural remedies to help maintain optimum health (or at least not be chronically sick as hell). I’m going to add a couple more here too, to make it easier for me to find at a later date if I want to.

I know I’ve mentioned it before, but not actually posted where I got my information and the full extent of what it can be good for.

The 31 Evidence-Backed Health Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth 

https://happymammoth.co/31-health-benef ... ous-earth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a naturally occurring sedimentary rock with a granular structure that is rich in silica. Because this material is soft enough to break down into powder, it can be easily ingested or used topically for a number of health benefits. Food grade diatomaceous earth consists of the fossilised remains of diatoms, a major group of micro-organisms that are found in vast oceans and waterways around the world. These diatoms are millions of years old and feature a number of important trace minerals, making them a powerful tool that we can use to enhance our health and well-being. Below we discuss what food grade diatomaceous earth is and the evidenced backed diatomaceous earth benefits.

What is diatomaceous earth?
Diatomaceous earth is a simple and ancient treasure that has been recently re-discovered by health practitioners. While not all types of diatomaceous earth can be used internally by people, food grade DE is completely safe to ingest and is often coined a superfood. Diatomaceous simply means full of diatoms, with the single-celled honeycomb structure of these algae organisms containing a number of trace minerals that are essential for human health. Simply put, these diatoms work their wonders by gently exfoliating the gut and infusing trace minerals into the body as they go.

While silica is the primary mineral found in diatomaceous earth, it also features calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, copper, zinc, iron, phosphorus, selenium, manganese, boron, and chromium among other minerals. When diatomaceous earth has been sourced and made for human consumption, it has the ability to support the body, protect the organs, enhance the immune system, and fight off dangerous parasites, among many other benefits.

The 31 Health Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth

1.  PROMOTES STRONGER TEETH, BONES AND JOINTS
The silica in diatomaceous earth supports stronger teeth, healthier bones, and more flexible joints. According to a 2007 study in The Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, dietary silicon is beneficial to healthy bone mass and connective tissue. Not only does diatomaceous earth support normal metabolic processes, it also has a measurable effect on bone mineral density.

Low bone mass often leads to osteoporosis, a disease which has been called “a silent epidemic of the 21st century.” Adding diatomaceous earth to your regular diet can have substantial positive effects on skeletal strength and function, with the high levels of silica and other minerals possibly helping to prevent and treat bone and connective tissue diseases like osteoporosis.

2. CAN STRENGTHEN YOUR HAIR AND NAILS
The ingestion of food grade diatomaceous earth can help to protect and strengthen your hair and nails. Among other things, silica is well known for the positive effect it has on hair and nails, with this powerful mineral also helping to protect the scalp from fungal infections. Whether you have specific problems with dandruff or hair loss, or you simply want to increase the strength and shine of your hair and nails, food grade diatomaceous earth is a powerful form of bio-available silicon.

3. HELPS IN THE FIGHT AGAINST PARASITES
Diatomaceous earth can assist in the fight against dangerous parasites. The composition and low density of this product are ideal for killing and flushing parasites from your body, with smaller intestinal parasites removed directly and larger parasites in the digestive tract chopped up before being flushed out. Due to the small size of the silica in diatomaceous earth, this material will not harm your beneficial gut bacteria.

Diatomaceous earth has already been used for a long time to treat parasites in livestock and pets, with high-grade materials proving just as beneficial for controlling parasites in humans. According to a study published in the Oxford Journal of Poultry Science, diatomaceous earth has the potential to be an effective long-term treatment for parasite control and elimination.

4. CAN HELP TO DETOXIFY AND STRENGTHEN YOUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
The benefits of diatomaceous earth can be seen throughout the digestive system, with the composition of this material proving useful in cleansing the intestines and digestive tract. Silica can be beneficial in soaking up and sweeping away a range of heavy metals and other toxins, as well as helping to eliminate intestinal worms, intestinal parasites, and other dangerous micro-organisms. The silica in diatomaceous earth can be taken to reduce the accumulation of waste and improve gut health, with silicon dioxide found to improve gastrointestinal disorders.

5. REDUCES BLOATING, WIND, AND GAS
The digestive benefits of diatomaceous earth help to cleanse and detoxify the human body of bad bacteria, helping you to eliminate uncomfortable bloating, excessive wind, and unwanted gas. By helping to improve healthy digestion through the removal of parasites, toxins, and other impurities, diatomaceous earth can help to ensure a functional and unburdened digestive system. Diatomaceous earth has been found to eliminate certain stored product pests such as meal worms and mites, and may play a similar role within the human digestive system.

6. INCREASES NUTRIENT ABSORPTION
Food grade diatomaceous earth helps to improve your digestive system, making it easier to absorb essential minerals and nutrients. If you can create an unburdened digestive system by removing the bad stuff from your digestive tract, nutrients will be more easily absorbed and the overall health of your body will improve as a result.

Silicon is a major and naturally occurring trace element in the human body, with the vast majority of this material derived from our diet. The presence of silica in most human cells and primitive organisms suggests that it may have an essential biological role in all organisms . The bio-availability of silica has been found to improve nutrient absorption and modify nutrient efficiency and content.

7. HELPS TO BALANCE YOUR HORMONES
Many of the benefits of diatomaceous earth are related to the silica content, which accounts for roughly 80-90% of its overall composition. Silica has been found to regulate the balance between magnesium and calcium in the body, with this balance essential for maintaining healthy hormones.

Silica affects all of your hormones, including your thyroid, with the selenium in diatomaceous earth also assisting with thyroid hormone metabolism.

8. PROMOTES HEART HEALTH
The silica in diatomaceous earth helps to keep arteries and blood vessel walls supple and strong and supports overall heart condition. According to research , silica may be helpful in reducing the risk of heart disease and atherosclerosis, which can cause strokes and heart attacks.

Arteriosclerosis is a serious type of coronary artery disease that causes hardening of the arteries. This condition can be extremely dangerous, with hardened arterial walls causing the blood to move more slowly and increasing the chance of damage due to high blood pressure. The silica that is found in diatomaceous earth helps to strengthen the body’s veins and arteries through the formation of elastin and collagen.

9. STRENGTHENS THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
The health benefits of diatomaceous earth influence the entire body, with improved gut health and lower levels of inflammation helping to protect the immune system. This material is incredibly old and originates from deep within the earth’s rich crust, with the diatoms in diatomaceous earth providing humans with access to some of the most alkalising minerals available. 
According to research , the silica in diatomaceous earth helps to boost the production of the antibodies and antigens that the immune system needs to fight infections. What this means is simple – faster and more efficient healing from colds, flu, infection, and illness.

10. ESSENTIAL FOR COLLAGEN PRODUCTION
Collagen is the main structural protein found in skin and other connective tissues, with this protein also regularly used in cosmetic surgical treatments. The silica found in diatomaceous earth is important for the production and maintenance of collagen, which is also helpful in healing the lining of the gut, maintaining healthy skin, and improving hair strength among other benefits. According to research , silica induces a significant increase in collagen levels of between 13% and 19% compared to a control group.

11. PREVENTS HEAVY METAL TOXICITY
Diatomaceous earth has a number of benefits for humans, many of which are related to the removal of parasites and toxins. The accumulation of aluminium in the body is a particularly big concern that often results in aluminium toxicity, something which can lead to numerous diseases. The silica found in diatomaceous earth possesses heavy metal detox properties that reduce the chances of developing Alzheimer’s disease and other conditions that can result from long-term aluminium poisoning.

12. BENEFICIAL IN WOUND AND BURN HEALING
The silica and other minerals found in food grade diatomaceous earth have been found to stimulate the rapid re-growth of damaged skin tissue. Silica is present in all human tissues at all times, with most of the silica that our body needs coming from our diet. According to research, silica is integrally bound to connective tissues around the body and plays an important structural role in healing and growth.

13. CAN HELP TO LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE
Magnesium, potassium, and other minerals found in diatomaceous earth may have a positive effect on heart health and blood pressure. A number of studies have shown links between magnesium consumption and lower blood pressure, which is integral for human health and longevity. According to a study published in the journal Hypertension, people who took magnesium supplements over a period of three months had lower blood pressure than those who did not take magnesium supplements.

14. HAS ANTI-INFLAMMATORY BENEFITS
Inflammation is a defence mechanism that occurs when the body attempts to heal problems. Even though this biological response is an important part of self-protection, it often gets out of control and causes disease. The magnesium content in diatomaceous earth helps to prevent the chronic inflammation that is responsible for so many diseases, with the rich mineral makeup also helping to prevent early ageing and obesity. According to research, a low magnesium status has been associated with numerous pathological conditions characterised by chronic inflammation.

15. HELPS CONTROL DIABETES
The health benefits of diatomaceous earth stretch far and wide, with the rich mineral content of this food grade product helping to protect against numerous diseases. The magnesium and manganese found in diatomaceous earth are both known to provide assistance in controlling diabetes, which is one of the most prevalent diseases in the developed world. Type 2 diabetes is frequently associated with extracellular and intracellular magnesium deficits, with magnesium supplementation in diabetic patients found in most, but not all clinical studies.

16. HELPS YOU TO LOOK YOUNGER
Silica and many of the other minerals found in diatomaceous earth are known to have an effect on skin elasticity and other factors known to affect beauty and subjective ageing. While the silica found in high-grade diatomaceous earth is retained by the body in all tissues, the highest levels of silica have been found in bone and other connective tissues related to physical appearance, including skin, nails, and hair.

17. HELPS TO HEAL INFECTIONS OF THE URINARY SYSTEM
Regular ingestion of diatomaceous earth may help to prevent kidney gemstones and heal infections of the urinary system. The high levels of magnesium and other minerals found in diatomaceous earth can act as a natural diuretic, which may be able to increase the excretion of urine and help to promote normal function in the urinary system. According to one study , magnesium supplements can decrease the severity and recurrence of urinary tract infections.

18. CAN DECREASE HEADACHES AND MIGRAINES
Headaches, migraines, and associated conditions such as vertigo and tinnitus may be partially alleviated with food grade diatomaceous earth and other natural supplements. Magnesium is essential to many intracellular processes and is known to play an important role in migraine pathogenesis, with many of the other minerals found in diatomaceous earth also needed to prevent cortical spreading depression and other causes of headaches.

19. CAN BE USED TOPICALLY AS A SKIN EXFOLIANT
Silica is one of the most important minerals on Earth and the second most abundant element in the Earth’s crust at 28%. While most of the silica present in igneous and sedimentary rocks is not readily broken down, diatomaceous earth is a notable exception.

Diatomaceous earth can be used both internally and topically, with its silica and mineral content acting as a great skin exfoliant and facial scrub. While food grade diatomaceous earth is generally believed to be completely safe to consume, when using it as a beauty product, some people advise against breathing in the fine particles.

20. DECREASES THE RISK OF BONE FRACTURES
Among all the diatomaceous earth health benefits, bone health gets most of the attention for a very good reason. The silica in food grade diatomaceous earth is known to increase bone volume and mass, with dietary silicon one of the best ways to improve bone and connective tissue health and reduce the risk of bone fractures.

While the exact biological roles played by silica in bone health are unknown, it is thought to improve the synthesis and stabilisation of collagen and its matrix mineralisation. The copper and manganese in diatomaceous earth are also involved in the synthesis of the bone matrix.

21. STABILISES ENDOCRINE FUNCTION
The health benefits of diatomaceous earth affect every part of the human body, with the silicon content able to control metabolism in various endocrine glands . Ageing and poor health often lead to decreased silica absorption and inadequate or reduced hormone or thyroid activity, which can be partially alleviated with silica supplements or the ingestion of diatomaceous earth products.

22. HELPS TO PURIFY WATER
Along with being used internally and topically to improve health and well-being, diatomaceous earth can also be used to improve the quality of the water we drink on a daily basis. This product has been used in water filters for years now, with its chemical composition and high silica content making it a great filtration aid. According to a study published in the Journal of Applied and Environmental Microbiology, diatomaceous earth helps to kill dangerous viruses and purify drinking water.

23. HELPS TO KEEP YOUR SKIN LOOKING MORE SUPPLE
The collagen in diatomaceous earth has been found to have a number of beneficial effects on factors of human skin physiology that are commonly related to ageing. Skin elasticity was vastly improved with collagen supplements, with skin moisture and trans-epidermal water loss also improved to some degree.

24. HELPS PROVIDE ENERGY TO YOUR BODY
The magnesium content in diatomaceous earth helps your body to produce energy from food and improve exercise performance. Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a critical role in how the human body functions on a daily basis, including energy metabolism and the maintenance of normal muscle function.

25. MAY BE ABLE TO REDUCE THE RISK OF DEMENTIA
The high silica content in diatomaceous earth, along with the other nutrients and anti-oxidants, may be helpful in reducing the risk of dementia. According to a 2009 report published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, silica can be ingested to counteract the damaging effects of aluminium in drinking water.
In the study, scientists found that the mineral silica can help to decrease the risk of aluminium-induced dementia in elderly patients, with diatomaceous earth one of the best sources of silica in the world.

26. MAY BE ABLE TO REDUCE THE RISK OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
Diatomaceous earth may be able to help decrease the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, with studies already showing the health benefits of water that is rich in silicon. According to a study by Christopher Exley, a leading scientist on the issue of aluminium toxicity, silicon dissolved in water can chelate damaging aluminium from the body without having any harmful effects on other beneficial metals.

27. CAN HELP TO LOWER CHOLESTEROL
Many of the benefits of diatomaceous earth are related to the circulatory system, with silica and other minerals known to influence heart health and blood pressure. While many studies have been undertaken to look at the benefits of silica, magnesium, and other minerals, there are not many studies based on diatomaceous earth as a product.

According to one 1998 study published in the European Journal of Medical Research, however, consuming diatomaceous earth three times a day for eight weeks was found to improve cholesterol and triglyceride levels in healthy human subjects.

28. CAN HELP TO PREVENT POST-MENOPAUSAL OSTEOPOROSIS
Silica is known to improve bone matrix quality and facilitate bone mineralisation, with both of these factors capable of preventing and managing post-menopausal osteoporosis. While the benefits of calcium and vitamin D supplementation are well known when it comes to osteoporosis treatment, silica and many of the other minerals found in diatomaceous earth are only now starting to be recognised.

29. HELPS TO REDUCE STRESS AND OPTIMISE YOUR NERVOUS SYSTEM
The magnesium levels found in diatomaceous earth are capable of optimising our central nervous system and helping our cells to produce and use energy. Magnesium is crucial for a wide range of body functions, helping with stress management, anxiety, and cell repair. By increasing our magnesium levels with diatomaceous earth and other supplements, we can optimise our nervous system, moderate out anxiety levels, and feel less stressed throughout the day.

30. HELPS TO REGULATE AND PROMOTE HEALTHY SLEEP PATTERNS
The health benefits of food grade diatomaceous earth stretch far and wide, with the mineral content of the ancient diatoms assisting us on both a psychological and physical level. The magnesium and calcium in diatomaceous earth is needed by the body to promote healthy sleep patterns, with insomnia one of the primary symptoms of magnesium and calcium deficiency. 

According to a study by the Human Nutrition Research Center in North Dakota, a high magnesium and low aluminium diet is one of the best ways to promote deep and uninterrupted sleep. Poor sleep and insomnia are responsible for so many health conditions, with a lack of magnesium and other key minerals found in diatomaceous earth often having a snowball effect.

31. ASSISTS IN REDUCING MUSCLE WEAKNESS AND FATIGUE
Diatomaceous earth includes a number of powerful minerals, including phosphorus and calcium which have the ability to reduce physical health problems such as muscle weakness, numbness, and fatigue. The phosphorus in diatomaceous earth can also have a positive effect on libido levels and impotence, making it a great sexual tonic when combined with a healthy diet and exercise. Phosphate is an excitatory or high-energy mineral because it is used to fuel our bodies and produce ATP (adenosine triphosphate).
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I’m adding this here too, as it’s good to have a place to find this information, especially in light of the fact that more and more is getting scrubbed off the internet.

Oncologists won’t prescribe You Baking Soda because it Cures Cancer

https://www.getholistichealth.com/77915 ... da-cancer/" (I just clicked on this today - 10/26/21 - and this link does not take you to the following article. Don’t know what happened, but will look in to it. Sorry - told ya they’re scrubbing things from the internet)

Even the most aggressive cancers which have metastasized have been reversed with baking soda cancer treatments. Although chemotherapy is toxic to all cells, it represents the only measure that oncologists employ in their practice to almost all cancer patients. In fact, 9 out of 10 cancer patients agree to chemotherapy first without investigating other less invasive options.

Doctors and pharmaceutical companies make money from it. That’s the only reason chemotherapy is still used. Not because it’s effective, decreases morbidity, mortality or diminishes any specific cancer rates. In fact, it does the opposite. Chemotherapy boosts cancer growth and long-term mortality rates and oncologists know it.

A few years ago, University of Arizona Cancer Center member Dr. Mark Pagel received a $2 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to study the effectiveness of personalized baking soda cancer treatment for breast cancer. Obviously there are people in the know who have understood that sodium bicarbonate, that same stuff that can save a person’s life in the emergency room in a heartbeat, is a primary cancer treatment option of the safest and most effective kind.

Studies have shown that dietary measures to boost bicarbonate levels can increase the pH of acidic tumors without upsetting the pH of the blood and healthy tissues. Animal models of human breast cancer show that oral sodium bicarbonate does indeed make tumors more alkaline and inhibit metastasis.

Based on these studies, plus the fact that baking soda is safe and well tolerated, world renowned doctors such as Dr. Julian Whitaker have adopted successful cancer treatment protocols as part of an overall nutritional and immune support program for patients who are dealing with the disease.

The Whitaker protocol uses 12 g (2 rounded teaspoons) of baking soda mixed in 2 cups water, along with a low-cal sweetener of your choice. (It’s quite salty tasting.) Sip this mixture over the course of an hour or two and repeat for a total of three times a day. One man claims he has found a cure for cancer using baking soda and molasses and actually successfully treated his own disease by using baking soda.

When taken orally with water, especially water with high magnesium content, and when used transdermally in medicinal baths, sodium bicarbonate becomes a first-line medicinal for the treatment of cancer, and also kidney disease, diabetes, influenza and even the common cold. It is also a powerful buffer against radiation exposure, so everyone should be up to speed on its use.

Everybody’s physiology is under heavy nuclear attack from strong radioactive winds that are circling the northern hemisphere.

Dr. Robert J. Gillies and his colleagues have already demonstrated that pre-treatment of mice with baking soda results in the alkalinization of the area around tumors. The same researchers reported that bicarbonate increases tumor pH and also inhibits spontaneous metastases in mice with breast cancer.

What is Baking Soda?
Baking soda is a white crystalline solid that appears as fine powder. It is also called cooking soda, bread soda and bicarbonate of soda. Its chemical name is sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate.
Baking soda is different from washing soda (sodium carbonate) although they share the same slightly salty and alkaline taste.

This widely used soda is commonly dissolved in mineral water and used as a leavening agent in baking. It works as a leavening agent by neutralizing the acidic components of batter. The neutralization releases carbon dioxide and leads to the “raising” or expansion of baked foods.

Baking soda has also been used to soften vegetable and to tenderize meat.
As a household chemical, baking soda is used as a cleaning agent. It is included in toothpastes for similar reasons where it serves as an antiseptic, acid-neutralizer, whitening agent and plaque-removing agent as well as a cleaning agent.

Other common personal hygiene products in which baking soda can be found include deodorants and shampoos.

Baking Soda and pH Medicine
The pH of our tissues and body fluids is crucial and central because it affects and mirrors the state of our health or our inner cleanliness. The closer the pH is to 7.35-7.45, the higher our level of health and wellbeing. Staying within this range dramatically increases our ability to resist acute illnesses like colds and flues as well as the onset of cancer and other diseases.

Keeping our pH within a healthy range also involves necessary lifestyle and dietary changes that will protect us over the long term while the use of sodium bicarbonate gives us a jump-start toward increased alkalinity.

The pH scale is like a thermometer showing increases and decreases in the acid and alkaline content of fluids. Deviations above or below a 7.35-7.45 pH range in the tightly controlled blood can signal potentially serious and dangerous symptoms or states of disease.

When the body can no longer effectively neutralize and eliminate the acids, it relocates them within the body’s extra-cellular fluids and connective tissue cells directly compromising cellular integrity. Conversely when the body becomes too alkaline from too much bicarbonate in the blood, metabolic alkalosis occurs, which can lead to severe consequences if not corrected quickly.

Jon Barron presents a way of looking at pH that opens up one of the major benefits of alkaline water:

Hydrogen ions tie up oxygen. That means that the more acid a liquid is, the less available the oxygen in it. Every cell in our body requires oxygen for life and to maintain optimum health. Combine that with what we know about hydrogen ions and we see that the more acid the blood (the lower its pH), the less oxygen is available for use by the cells.

Without going into a discussion of the chemistry involved, just understand that it’s the same mechanism involved when acid rain “kills” a lake. The fish literally suffocate to death because the acid in the lake “binds up” all of the available oxygen. It’s not that the oxygen has gone anywhere; it’s just no longer available.

Conversely, if you raise the pH of the lake (make it more alkaline), oxygen is now available and the lake comes back to life. Incidentally, it’s worth noting that cancer is related to an acid environment (lack of oxygen)–the higher the pH (the more oxygen present in the cells of the body), the harder it is for cancer to thrive.

Understanding this is important for two reasons: (1) it reveals one of the primary benefits of alkaline water–more “available” oxygen in the system and (2) it explains why alkaline water helps fight cancer.

How Baking Soda Can Help “Cure” Cancer
Basically, malignant tumors represent masses of rapidly growing cells. The rapid rate of growth experienced by these cells means that cellular metabolism also proceeds at very high rates.

Therefore, cancer cells are using a lot more carbohydrates and sugars to generate energy in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate).

However, some of the compounds formed from the energy production include lactic acid and pyruvic acid. Under normal circumstances, these compounds are cleared and utilized as soon as they are produced. But cancer cells are experiencing metabolism at a much faster rate. Therefore, these organic acid accumulate in the immediate environment of the tumor.

The high level of extracellular acidity around the tumor is one of the chief driving force behind the metastasis of cancer tumors.

Basically, cancer cells need an acidic environment to grow and spread rapidly.
Some cancer experts, therefore, believe that by buffering the tumor microenvironment with an alkalizing compound, the pH of tumors can be raised enough to starve them and stop their growth and spread.

Curiously, this rather simple solution to cancer has been proven right.
What is even more remarkable is that there is no need to cook up some fancy synthetic drug to lower the acidity in the immediate environment of the tumor. A simple, commonly obtained compound like sodium bicarbonate will do.

Obviously, it is desirable to deliver the sodium bicarbonate as close to the tumor as possible since its pH-raising effect is needed in the microenvironment of the tumor. Therefore, directly injecting sodium bicarbonate in the tumor site is considered a better solution than oral administration. However, oral sodium bicarbonate is just safer and can be readily used at home.

A 2009 study published in the journal, Cancer Research, is among the first to confirm that the alkalinizing effect of sodium bicarbonate can indeed stop cancer.

By injecting sodium bicarbonate into a group of mice, the authors of the study were able to determine how the growth and spread of cancer tumors were effected by raising the pH of the organ affected by the cancer.

The study results showed that baking soda indeed raised the pH and reduced spontaneous metastases in mice induced with breast cancer.

The researchers also determined that sodium bicarbonate works by raising the pH outside cells and not within cells. This is an important finding because it suggests that sodium bicarbonate does not interfere with cellular metabolism even as it makes the microenvironment unconducive for tumor growth.
Other findings from this study show that baking soda:

* Reduced the involvement of the lymph node on the transport of cancer cells
* Does not lower the levels of circulating tumor cells
* Reduced the involvement of the liver and, therefore, the spread of tumor cells to other organs
* Inhibit the colonization of other organs by circulating tumor cells

The Baking Soda Formula for Cancer
To make the baking soda natural cancer remedy at home, you need maple syrup, molasses or honey to go along with the baking soda.

In Dr. Sircus’ book, he documented how one patient used baking soda and blackstrap molasses to fight the prostate cancer that had metastasized to his bones. On the first day, the patient mixed 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of molasses in a cup of water.

He took this for another 3 days after which his saliva pH read 7.0 and his urine pH read 7.5.

Encouraged by these results, the patient took the solution 2 times on day 5 instead of once daily. And from day 6 – 10, he took 2 teaspoons each of baking soda and molasses twice daily.

By the 10th day, the patient’s pH had risen to 8.5 and the only side effects experienced were headaches and night sweat (similar to cesium therapy).

The next day, the patient had a bone scan and too other medical tests. His results showed that his PSA (prostate-specific antigen, the protein used to determine the severity of prostate enlargement and prostate cancer) level was down from 22.3 at the point of diagnosis to 0.1.

Another baking soda formula recommends mixing 90 teaspoons of maple syrup with 30 teaspoons of baking soda.

To do this, the maple syrup must be heated to become less viscous. Then the baking syrup is added and stirred for 5 minutes until it is fully dissolved.

This preparation should provide about 10-day worth of the baking soda remedy. 5 – 7 teaspoons per day is the recommended dose for cancer patients.

Care should be taken when using the baking soda remedy to treat cancer. This is because sustaining a high pH level can itself cause metabolic alkalosis and electrolyte imbalance. These can result in edema and also affect the heart and blood pressure.

One does not have to be a doctor to practice pH medicine. Every practitioner of the healing arts and every mother and father needs to understand how to use sodium bicarbonate. Bicarbonate deficiency is a real problem that deepens with age so it really does pay to understand and appreciate what baking soda is all about.
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Here is another one of my favorite “go to” remedies, and I’ve tried it on many things, and can personally testify to it’s effectiveness.

51 Amazing Colloidal Silver Benefits
By Clifford Genece - May 3, 2016

https://www.honeycolony.com/article/ama ... of-silver/

Silver is an ancient and natural all-purpose healing agent. It wipes out bacterial infections in a safe and clean manner, without compromising our immune system like antibiotics do.

Silver effectively vanished from the medicinal market in the early 20th century, because it could not be patented and thereby couldn’t fetch extraordinary profits for the pharmaceutical industry. In modern lab tests (e.g. by NCBI), silver is getting its fame back as a safe, multi-purpose bacterial killer. It is known to kill superbugs (e.g. MRSA) and has been tested against 650 common and exotic infections and diseases.

If you ever had to take antibiotics for any of the 51 conditions below (research linked), then it’s time to consider silver, whether it’s in colloidal form (made by Silver Healer) or chelated , protein-binding form for added bioavailability (made by Silver Excelsior).

The fact is: repeated antibiotic use strengthens the bacterial strains, and radically weakens the immune system.

51 Researched Benefits Of Silver
1. Silver has shown the ability to wipe out common throat ailments such strep.
2. Ten drops of silver in the ear can aid in wiping out ear infections.
3. Quality colloidal silver soothes and wipes out eye infections (conjunctivitis, stys).
4. Colloidal silver has been shown to treat rhinosinitus in sheep, suggesting it can clears sinus and upper respiratory infections.
5. Silver ions have shown promise in inactivating influenza and maybe show promise for inactivating other viruses.
6. Silver nano-particles have shown success in promoting anti-inflammatory properties.
7. Silver-coated endotracheal tubes have shown promise in prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia.
8. Placing silver induced products on the urinary tract has shown promise in treating Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
9. Over time, antibiotics lose their ability to combat infection. Silver has been shown to boost the immune system to fight infection.
10. Silver nanoparticles have shown promise against hematophagous parasites.
11. Swishing silver in  the mouth has been shown to prevent plaque buildup, tooth decay, and bleeding gums.
12. Silver promotes optimal digestion.
13. Digested silver quickly combats food poisoning.
14. Silver has the ability to kill mold (including black mold) and mildew on surfaces throughout the home.
15. Applying silver products on cuts, sores, and boils promotes healing.
16. Applying silver to rashes can aid in  soothing itches.
17. Silver has the ability to kill various fungi, including  athlete’s foot and nail fungi.
18. Silver has been successfully used to kill staph infections, including MRSA.
19. Applying silver to burns, especially sunburns, can soothe and heal.
20. Silver has shown success in inactivating the herpes simplex virus.
21. Silver infused water has been used to support  HIV/AIDS intervention.
22. Silver has been shown to kill cancerous cells and has been considered as an alternative treatment to chemotherapy.
23. Silver applied to insect bites provides relief from itches.
24. Silver applied to infected areas can kill ringworms.
25. Silver applied to the vaginal area can combat yeast infections
26. Relief from jock itch can be found through applying silver around the affected area.
27. Silver’s antibacterial properties can provide relief from acne breakouts.
28. Applying silver to the scalp can relieve itchy scalp and dandruff.
29. When ingested, silver shows promise in treating laryngitis.
30. Silver’s ability to kills single cells organisms allows it to treat eczema when applied to the affected area.
31. Silver shows promise in treating psoriasis.
32. Silver purifies water that has germ contaminants present.
33. Silver is used in many airline filters to prevent water borne diseases.
34. When applied on mayonnaise and dairy products, silver has the ability to prevent salmonella growth.
35. Ketchup, mustard, relish, and other condiments get a prolonged life with the addition of silver.
36. Silver’s anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral can help treat Lyme disease.
37. Silver’s antiviral properties help combat the common cold.
38. When applied to the scalp, silver can promote hair growth.
39. Sixty-six percent of patients in a trial found that their warts regressed when silver was applied.
40. Silver’s anti-microbial properties have shown promise in stopping asthma attacks.
41. When ingested, silver has the ability to combat Whooping cough.
42. Using colloidal silver regularly allowed one woman to treat her Multiple Sclerosis.
43. Can minimize symptoms of Crohn’s disease.
44. When ingested silver can heal a pet’s stomach ache.
45. Silver can heal pet skin issues such as rashes and ringworm.
46. When pets leave messes on the floor or carpet, silver can get rid of nasty odors.
47. Applying silver to cuts helps treats both human and pet infections.
48. Applying silver on cuts can prevent infections in pets.
49. Silver has the ability to keep pets fungi-free.
50. Colloidal silver can penetrate the large intestine and treat traveler’s diarrhea and cholera.
51. Silver has the ability to inhibit both Hepatitis B & C viruses
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I have been taking an iodine supplement for thyroid support for a year or so now, and find when I stop taking it, the symptoms for which I am taking it come back. Thyroid issues are sharply on the rise (and merits a whole thread by itself), and so it’s a good supplement to know more about. No doubt we are being exposed to more radiation from various sources than ever before, which would in part explain why at least I need to have more than I am getting from my diet (and I know many others who do too!). A friend yesterday gave me a bottle of Detoxified Iodine from the source in the link provided below. Edgar Cayce was quite an enigma, and a veritable fountain of information, so feel this a worthy share for this thread.

Detoxified Iodine

https://www.iodinesource.com/DetoxifiedIodine.php

It's only been a couple hundred years since iodine was first isolated as an element. During the first hundred years no really had any idea what to do with it. Eventually the French and the Swiss started using it as a way to counteract mold and bacteria. However, it wasn't until Edgar Cayce started speaking at length about it during the 1920's and 30's and prescribing it in an electrically charged or "atomic" state that people began to understand how it could be taken internally to stabilize the thyroids and thereby assist with balancing overall body chemistry. Taking their lead from Mr. Cayce, the government began iodizing salt during the great depression, and after WWII it was widely used as a preservative in milk and bread in the U.S. This in turn ushered in a new era of peace and prosperity though the strength and health of the general population. Other industrialized countries around the world followed our lead which inadvertently resulted in a furthering of the disparity between the wealthy countries and those less fortunate. Today, this is commonly misinterpreted as a fracturing along the lines of religious and belief systems.

As iodine only bonds with living things in the ocean, we can begin to see why it is that most people want to live near the coast line. Tens of millions of land-locked Americans lay claim to the "Salt Life" by posting it in the rear windows of their vehicles. In truth, it's not the salt so much they crave, but rather the iodine which courses through the sub limitable veins of the masses, who pilgrimage ritualistically to the waters edge. This is their time to relax and restore and in effect return symbolically to their "hot soups" origins where we were taught as children that the creative forces began life itself. Indeed, if Mr. Cayce's edict that there are only four elements necessary to sustain life (water, salt, soda & iodine), then this schoolyard notion about the origins of life does hold water, so to speak, and we do return to our heritage each time we partake of those rejuvenating elements which embody this philosophy. Let the baptism begin then with the emersion in to the knowledge that each of us can have the healthy life we came here for, and give a thankful prayer for the peace on earth which elevates the soul into a natural and spiritual awakening!

The History of Iodine

https://www.iodinesource.com/HistoryOfIodine.php

The discovery of iodine, like most discoveries, was a fortuitous accident. The most fortuitous accident in the history of medicine, is one story many of us are familiar with: the discovery of penicillin. We've all heard the stories of the mold ruining the cultures and how suddenly, a mind shift occurred and bingo, the birth of antibiotics. Few realize that penicillin had been discovered a lot earlier, back in the late 1800's by a medical student. But, sadly, the world wasn't ready for it and, the haughtiness of physicians at that time would not allow them to look upon a mere student's discovery with more than condescending curiosity. Even fewer are aware that Pasteur discovered and wrote up the first antibiotic experiment, in which he watched a substance gobble up his bacteria specimens. That "substance" was garlic.

In 1811 when Bernard Courtois (1777-1838) discovered iodine, he was not searching for a way to heal his fellow humans. On the contrary; he was looking for a way to kill his fellow humans. Napoleon's army at the time required huge quantities of gunpowder and supplies were running short. Saltpeter (potassium nitrate—KNO3—sometimes spelled saltpeter) is a major component in gunpowder and requires an abundant source of sodium carbonate to be manufactured. Sodium carbonate is extracted from wood ashes, but the war had gone on so long that they'd run out of willow wood, the preferred source. Someone suggested using dried seaweed (burnt to ash), which seemed to be abundant off the coasts of Normandy and Brittany. The suggestion worked and the French were back in business, making gunpowder and killing people.

However, in the process of making saltpeter, excess sulfur compounds were created and they had to add sulfuric acid to the mixture to get rid of them.
Courtois accidentally added a bit too much acid one day, and poof, a violet vapor cloud appeared and condensed onto the colder, metal objects and formed lustrous crystals. Courtois, a working chemist, realized he'd created something new. He performed a few minor experiments with this new substance and noted that it combined well with phosphorous, hydrogen, and a few metals, but did not combine easily with oxygen or carbon. Furthermore, he discovered that it was quite explosive when mixed with ammonia and did not decompose when burned.

He suspected he'd discovered a new element, but the war (Napoleon having stretched the government's coffers to the point of bankruptcy) was the focus of France's spending at the time, and without funding, he could experiment no further. Besides, there was a war to fight. So he turned his discovery over to the French chemist (and physicist) Charles-Bernard Désormes (1777-1862), who, with the help of his son-in-law Nicolas Clément (1779-1841) performed the scientific investigation into this new element.

Courtous, for some reason, also gave samples to Louis-Joseph Gay-Lussac (1778-1850) and André M. Ampère (1775–1836).

Both teams went to work investigating this new substance and in November of 1813, at a meeting of the Imperial Institute of France, Désormes and Clément announced their discovery. A few days later Gay-Lussac and André M. Ampère published that this was either an element or a compound of oxygen. No one yet, knew for sure exactly what it was, until the English chemist Sir Humphry Davy got into the picture (you might recall Davy as being the Father of Stoners in our essay The History of Anesthesia) and did some experiments with samples given him by Ampère.

Davy published, on the 10th of December, 1813, a little piece in which he described this substance's qualities as being similar to chlorine, and that it was quite analogous to both Fluorine and Chlorine. He named it Iodine from a Greek word for "violet colored" but the hubbub did not stop there. Suddenly the priority rights over the substance were in dispute (who did what first and so on) while both Gay-Lussac and Davy acknowledged that Courtois was the discoverer.

Later, Jean Lugol discovered that bonding iodine to a mineral (potassium) made it water soluble, and allowed for the later discovery of iodine's antiseptic qualities. Iodine naturally dissolves in alcohol, but not in water until it is first bonded to the elements potassium or chlorine.

The use of antiseptics, the general use of antiseptics and acceptance of the theory of germs, was far off. Iodine made it's leap into medical history when a Swiss physician, Dr Jean François Condet announced that iodine could reduce goiters (enlarged thyroids).

At this moment, modern medical science is born. For the first time in history we have a specific disorder that is relieved by a specific treatment, which was discovered through empirical reasoning (experimentation based upon trial and error).

Please note: this treatment is a nutritional substance. The human body was designed to ingest minerals from the sea. This is nutritional medicine, not chemical medicine. Please note this, because medicine abandons this mind set later when … well, you'll have to see when.

Iodine suddenly became hip and people consumed it till they turned blue in the gills. It was a powerful stimulant loaded with uncomfortable side effects and when a group of under-worked physicians, with little to do, got together, the first regulations of medicine were initiated and iodine became a semi-controlled substance. Like most controlled substances, the controllers knew very little about the substance they were controlling and for the sake of the public safety, they came up with an off-the-wall RYA (Required Yearly Amount) for iodine that had nothing to do with empirical science. Just one more example of people with control issues thinking they know what's best for you and me. Luckily, a true scientist, with an appropriate name to boot, in 1917, published his findings on the study of thyroids in fish, dogs, and humans found in the Great Lakes region.

His name was David Marine. He discovered that the amount of iodine our medical authorities had limited we humans to in a year's period was most likely the amount our bodies needed in a two week period. The medical establishment poo-pooed these findings, and Marine's work has never been endorsed by the medical establishment. Keeping humans ill is profitable for drug companies, and by 1917 pharmaceuticals were the most profitable business around and growing faster than a forest fire in a wind storm after a ten-year drought.

But it was an Indian (from India) who is credited with ushering Iodine into the Medical Hall of Fame. His name is Sunker Bisey. He won a contest run by an English Manufacturing firm in which the winner would get a full scholarship at a major British university. Bisey boarded a ship to jolly old England, waved goodbye to his family, but never made it to the university. Arriving in England dying of Malaria, he was treated to the best physicians the British Isles had to offer, but to no avail, and he soon opted to die in his homeland, and set sail. At a stopover in France where firing up kilns of seaweed was now the latest craze, someone suggested treating the dying lad with Iodine. Long story short: Bisey finished his education in England and set sail for New York where he intended on bringing this magnificent new treatment for disease to the world.

He had some minor successes with local physicians, but nothing to write home about. In 1927, out of total frustration, he wrote a letter to a crackpot psychic and requested a reading on iodine. When he received his reply, it brought tears to his eyes, according to Phil Thomas, an Edgar Cayce historian. The letter confirmed Bisey's overall assertions and outlined an electrification process by which the iodine could be exposed to a magnetic field while suspended in a wet battery; a process that would transmute the iodine into a state the body could fully recognize and fully assimilate.

As Phil Thomas writes in his paper "IODINE - The Once A Century Element," Sunker Bisey wasted no time in assembling the necessary equipment and running the experiment. Having worked with the element for many years he knew instantly, upon tasting the detoxified form that Mr. Cayce's suggestion had finally cracked the coded mystery of the once unruly element. He set about replacing the raw form with the new iodine … and within days he started hearing back positive reports of his new found discovery. In the months and years which followed thousands of people were routinely cured of a wide assortment of ailments, most of which had no viable treatment … prior to the advent of atomic iodine.

Now here is where the story goes sour. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, so I'll let you construct your own conclusions.

Sunker Bisey built up his iodine empire because he had no competition. His simple, inexpensive nutritional therapy was all the rage. Edgar Cayce did more readings on iodine, especially his new form which had such names as Detoxified Iodine and Atomic Iodine, but eventually would be called Atomidine. But there was only one person marketing this form of iodine and he was about to be put out of business. Put out of business by the Government.

Gee, I seem to recall a tenth amendment and something to do with restriction of free trade.

The government, in it's almighty wisdom, decided to iodize salt. This would guarantee that every American got their daily requirements for iodine. The amount the government would require to go into salt was not based upon David Marine's research (which was scientific) but rather it was based upon the 100-year-old recommendations by that group of busybody physicians with few patients to treat and way too much time on their hands. The required daily amount (RDA) of iodine is just enough to keep our thyroids from expanding, not unlike the RDA of vitamin C today which is just enough to keep us free of scurvy, but not enough to prevent a pre scurvy disorder known as CVD, or Cardiovascular Disease. (See our publication Bypassing Bypass).

The average American was lulled into a false state of security and Bisey's business eventually crashed. He died a pauper in 1935, passing on his business, what was left of it, a few notes and lots of Atomidine no one wanted, onto his son. His son, who apparently had no interest in following in his father's footsteps (and die a pauper), turned around and sold the process to a pharmaceutical company that immediately buried it and forgot about it.

Even Edgar Cayce quit doing readings about Atomidine since it was no longer available, but near the end of his life, he resurrected a slew of iodine readings and introduced a theory of "vibrational" medicine that many are still investigating to this day. For more on Edgar Cayce, how he's been labeled a quack by some and a prophet by others, see: Edgar Cayce.

From the Cayce readings, we get this: Knowing the tendencies, supply in the vital energies that we call the vitamins, or elements. For, remember, while we give many combinations, there are only four elements in your body: water, salt, soda and iodine. These are the basic elements, they make all the rest! Each vitamin as a component part of an element is simply a combination of these other influences, given a name mostly for confusion to individuals, by those who would tell you what to do for a price.

This is an amazing statement, laughed at by the so-called scientific community, but investigated by others. Scientific types will tell you that water, salt, and soda (calcium carbonate) are not elements, while iodine is. Cayce was not an educated man. Recordings of his readings are hard to understand at times, because he went into a trance. In other words, he was asleep and sounded oftentimes like someone talking in his sleep. When he uses the word element, he is not using a chemistry denotation, but rather a loose connotation.

He often said that three or four drops of Atomidine three or four times a week were all you needed to stay healthy. How much exactly? That's hard to determine since it's your body that needs it at your levels and not at mine or your neighbors'.

For non-commercial use: You may copy, print, reprint, and/or transfer this entire article, if and only if it is unmodified and in its complete state with this copyright notice attached and all the links work properly. All other's must contact us in writing: Contact Us
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

I have two friends who are doing the borax and baking soda regime, one of whom wrote up the following links and information. I’ve done a bit of the baking soda, though I’m not fond of the taste. Plan to try this though. My other friend, who works as a nurse, has two small children, and was having trouble with fluctuating energy levels says she feels like she did when she was 20 years old. Fairly dramatic improvement for her.

Borax Toxic Poison or Miracle Healer?

Borax contains a mineral, Boron, that we all are deficient in unless you live in a country that has an adequate supply in the soil such as Israel. Most other places lack this mineral. Lack of Boron leads to a host of problems in the body including arthritis.

Links below to information on Borax. You can use 20 Mule Team Borax found in the cleaning isle of your grocery store.

Earth Clinic has a lot of good links and information on Borax, Read the comments from users who provide testimonials on using Borax.

https://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/borax.html
https://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/bo ... efits.html
https://www.earthclinic.com/borax-remed ... ritis.html
https://www.earthclinic.com/how-to-take-borax.html

Walter Last wrote a great article called the Borax Conspiracy. He also wrote many mini books on health topics and you can find them on his site. Plus look at his other articles. He is a wealth of information on almost all diseases and cures.

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/He ... iracy.html
http://www.health-science-spirit.com/Li ... icles.html 

Steve Mabey made some videos about Borax and several other cures. See his useful video on Borax which he used to cure his arthritis.                              

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55dzxz_-gik                                            
Steve Mabey
Spiritwind

Post by Spiritwind »

Just tried sliced onion on the soles of my feet with socks on overnight. I did notice a positive difference and will write more after I try it for two more nights. Yes, it is very smelly. A very inexpensive and easy to obtain remedy everyone should know about though. Here’s 20 of the 31 health benefits mentioned in the following article.

https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/ama ... of-onions/

What Are The Health Benefits Of Onions?
Allium and allyl disulphide, two phytochemical compounds in onions have been found to lower the risk of several types of cancer, assist in regulating blood sugar, reduce inflammation and heal infections. Here’s a quick look at the incredible onion benefits for health:
1. Fight Cancer
As per a study conducted by the University of Guelph, red onions are the most effective in destroying breast and colon cancer cells (3). These onions have high levels of quercetin and anthocyanin – two compounds that contribute to the red onion benefits. Onions activate the pathways that provoke the cancer cells to kill themselves. They make the environment unfavorable for cancer cells to communicate, and this inhibits their growth.
It was also found that people with the highest consumption of onions had the lowest cancer rates (4). As a preventative measure, you can have your burgers garnished with red onions.
2. Improve Heart Health
The flavonoids in red onions can contribute to heart health (5). Onions are also rich in organosulfurs, which can help prevent heart disease. According to one Argentine study, intake of the organosulfur compounds found in onions can cut the risk of cardiovascular disease (6). Onions contain thiosulfinates that act as natural blood thinners and reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
The quercetin in onions also has the potential to fight heart disease. It offers both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that promote heart health (7). Onions are also a part of the French Paradox – they are an important part of French cuisine and are thought to be responsible for the low incidences of heart disease among the French despite their high-calorie diet.
Onions can also improve cholesterol levels, and this ultimately benefits the heart. As per a report by the Cambridge University Press, the flavonoids in onions help lower the levels of LDL (the bad cholesterol) in obese people (8).
Onions also prevent the blood platelets from sticking each other, which can lead to clotting and eventually, heart attacks. They also can prevent high blood pressure, thereby averting heart danger. Another study on rabbits showed that onions could prevent atherosclerosisi  . They achieve this by enhancing fibrinolytic (a process that results in the removal of small blood clots) activity (9).
Related: 5 Effective Yoga Mudras For Your Healthy Heart
3. Lower Blood Sugar Levels
One study has proven that onion extract can help lower blood sugar levels (10). The study was conducted on diabetic rats, and the results were encouraging. One of the sulfur compounds in onions (S-methylcysteine) and quercetin can have beneficial effects on blood sugar. However, it was found that onions exhibited the positive effect only when taken along with metformin, the antidiabetic drug.
In yet another study, polyphenols (especially the ones in onions) were found to play a role in glycemic control (11).
4. Promote Healthy Digestion
The digestive benefits of onions can be attributed to inulin, a fiber present in the vegetable. Inulin acts as a food source for the beneficial bacteria in the intestines. Consuming this fiber helps your body maintain good levels of the healthy bacteria. However, the thiosulfinates in onions can cause harm to these beneficial bacteria (as they have antibacterial properties). Hence, if you are sensitive to the antibacterial properties of onions, do consult your doctor.
Another soluble fiber in onions, oligofructose (which is a sub-group of inulin), was found to prevent and treat different types of diarrhea (12). And the phytochemicals in onions can cut the risk of gastric ulcers.
The natural prebiotics in onions can also help ease constipation (13). They are also believed to help treat stomach ache and stomach worms, though more research is warranted.
Onion is known to cause migraine and flatulence in some people (14). Consult your doctor if this happens.
Related: 15 Best Easy To Digest Foods To Relieve An Upset Stomach
5. Maintain Bone Health
Preliminary research suggests that onions can prevent age-related osteoporosis. According to Swiss researchers, a compound in white onions (called GPCS) can reduce bone loss (15). Though the study was conducted on rats, it does hold promise for humans.
Another study revealed that women who ate onions regularly had 5 percent more bone mass than those who ate less (16). Onion consumption was also found to have a beneficial effect on the bone density of women older than 50 years.
According to the Arthritis Foundation, quercetin in onions can inhibit the activity of leukotrienes, prostaglandins, and histamines (all of which cause inflammation) in osteoarthritisi  and rheumatoid arthritis (17). Onion intake was also found to help treat joint pains.
6. Prevent Inflammation And Other Allergies
We have already seen quercetin (and other flavonoids) in onions can help prevent inflammation. Onions also treat allergies by preventing the cells from releasing histamine.
Cooking with onions can help open and drain your sinuses. And the antihistamine properties of quercetin can also aid in reducing nasal congestion (18). Even eating a raw onion at night can help relieve congestion – the sulfur-compounds in the onion can break down the mucous.
Onions also possess antibacterial properties. As per one study, onion extracts acted against Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sobrinus, the bacteria responsible for dental caries and other allergies (19). Onions also possess antibiotic effects that can accelerate wound healing (20).
7. Improve Immune System
Onions contain selenium that stimulates immune function. The mineral also prevents excessive immune response, which can have adverse effects. Immune cells deficient in selenium develop and reproduce inefficiently, and here’s where onions come into the picture. Such cells also have difficulty in producing the important proteins and transporting calcium.
Onions are also considered herbal medicine in Russia, where they are used to treat cold and flu (21).
We also want to talk about a popular remedy here – sleeping with onions underneath your feet, placing them in your socks. Does this have benefits? Certain sources say that it eradicates infection and hydrates your body. Doing so can also strengthen your immune system. The reason behind this could be that the feet contain the nerve endings of all the organs of the body. Placing onions beneath the feet transfers their beneficial properties to your interiors. However, there is no research on this – and we don’t know how far the information is true.
You can also make onion tea for treating colds. This tea gives you an immunity boost and helps prevent ailments. Making the tea is as simple as cutting an onion, boiling it in water, and drinking the juice. This acts as a quick remedy for your cold and other illnesses. You can also add other ingredients like ginger for taste.
Even onion-honey syrup works wonders for common cold symptoms. Just slice an onion and add it to a saucepan. To this, add half a cup of honey. Gently heat until the onions turn translucent and soft. Take a spoonful of this syrup every 3 to 4 hours. For prevention, you can take 1 or 2 spoonfuls during the flu season. You can also use white onion with honey for similar results.
The anti-inflammatory properties of onions can also help improve asthma. This effect can be attributed to quercetin (an average onion contains 50 mg of it).
Related: Top 9 Yoga Poses For Flexibility And Boosting Your Immunity
8. Cure Ear Disorders
As per one report, though research is limited, most parents swear by onions to cure ear ailments. They insist that onion juice can work great to relieve earache. One way to do this is to heat up the onion, extract some of the juice, and pour a few drops into the infected ear. And this remedy, believe us, goes back to the 19th century.
All you need to do is place the onion in an oven at 450o F. Let it be for 15 minutes or until it becomes soft. Take out the onion – once it’s cool, cut it in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl. You can strain the juice once, and using a medicinal dropper, pour a few drops of the juice into your infected ear (22).
An alternative is to place onion packs on the infected ear. Though the remedy is not scientifically proven, some people believe they might work (23).
9. Promote Respiratory Health
According to an American study, patients with respiratory issues like asthma and allergic rhinitis can benefit from certain fruits and vegetables, onions being one of them (24).
The anti-inflammatory properties of onions can also help soothe respiratory ailments. If you are suffering from a respiratory illness, you can simply include onions in your diet (in addition to your medication) for quicker relief (25). Include onions in your salads and other foods.
10. Improve Sleep
Onions contain prebiotics, which, as per a study, can improve sleep and even reduce stress. When the beneficial bacteria in the gut digest the prebiotic fiber, they multiply and improve gut health – and more importantly, release metabolic byproducts. These byproducts can influence brain function and induce sleep (26).
Related: 8 Home Remedies For Insomnia That Will Help You Sleep Quickly
11. Enhance Eye Health
The sulfur in onions improves the health of the lens of the eye. It stimulates the production of a protein named glutathione, which acts as an antioxidant. Higher levels of glutathione mean a reduced risk of glaucoma, macular degeneration, and cataracts.
The selenium in onions supports the vitamin E in the eye (which protects the cells in the eye).
As per an Iranian study, onions can inhibit the growth of normal eye flora. This highlights the possibility of onions being a potential cure for common eye infections like conjunctivitis and blepharitis (27). In the study, onion juice was used as eye drops – which resulted in the benefits. You can try that too, but we recommend you consult your health care provider first.
Onion extracts can also aid in preventing the development of corneal haze (28).
12. Are Good For Oral Health
Onions contain thiosulfinates and thiosulfonates (the sulfur compounds) that help reduce bacteria that cause tooth decay. And eating them raw is best – as cooking might destroy some of these beneficial compounds.
The vegetable is also rich in vitamin C that can keep the teeth healthy (29). It is also believed that onions can relieve tooth pain. However, there is less research on this.
But one downside of onions is that they can cause bad breath (30). Hence, wash your mouth thoroughly after consuming onions – especially if you are heading to a social gathering.
13. Aid In Cholera Treatment
Onions were found to have an inhibitory effect against V. cholerae, the microbe responsible for cholera. This can be attributed to the antibacterial effects of the vegetable (31).
14. Prevent Blood Clots
Onions contain a compound called rutin, which can help prevent blood from clotting. In numerous mice studies, rutin was found to be the most potent anti-thrombotic compound (32). Clots occur in the arteries and veins – in arteries, the clots are platelet-rich while in veins they are fibrin-rich.
The rutin in onions helps block an enzyme (protein disulfide isomerase), which is released very quickly when blood clots form (33).
15. Give An Energy Boost
The fiber in onions slows digestion and keeps the energy levels stable. The inulin in the vegetable helps maintain your stamina levels.
16. Improve Sexual Health
Onions are one of the herbal medicines used in western Uganda for managing sexual impotence and erectile dysfunction (34). Even otherwise, the vegetable is known to have benefits for men. Taking onion juice with honey is known to increase fertility in men.
Related: 20 Foods That May Help Boost Testosterone Levels Naturally
17. Enhance Brain Health
Research suggests that the antioxidants in onions bind with the harmful toxins in the brain and flush them out of the body. And the sulfur-containing compounds in onions can slow down age-related memory loss. The extracts of onions have been found to maintain the hippocampus. However, a part of these memory fighting properties might be lost upon cooking. Hence, try your best to eat the fruit raw.
Another sulfur-compound in onions, named di-n-propyl trisulfide, improves memory impairment (35). Onions are also believed to treat dizziness, epilepsyi  , and vertigoi  – though we have limited research on this.
18. Help Cure Fever
Onion can be included as a food ingredient to cure fever (36). It can also prevent or treat nose bleeding, given its natural fumes, which can help the blood clot (externally).
19. Reduce Oxidative Stress
According to a Chinese study, taking onion juice can help modulate oxidative stress (37). In yet another study, it was found that onions can also lower diabetes-induced oxidative stress. The quercetin in the vegetable can prevent diseases related to oxidative stress. It also protects the DNA against damage from oxidative stress (38).
Another Argentine study attributes the ability of onions to reduce oxidative stress to their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (39).
20. Ease Menopause Symptoms
Onions help during menopause as they support the liver and get rid of the waste hormones (40). Taking enough calcium is also imperative during this period. Onions contain calcium too and can help in this regard (41).

Return to “Science (Spirituality)”