How do astrology enthusiasts reconcile the science they use?

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
-Albert Einstein
Phil

How do astrology enthusiasts reconcile the science they use?

Post by Phil »

Isn’t astrology based on charts scientists (astronomers?) provide?

It’s been bugging me since Pluto got demoted:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 130655.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How come Pluto has soooooo much pull in events but when Eris is trine Ceres and in opposition to this newly discovered 9th planet when its square to our moon, the astrologers among us never noticed?

I will say this, it (science) is a boon to the industry of astrology….we gonna have to rewrite some of the texts, eh?
What is the purpose of your presence?
Pluto's Child

Re: How do astrology enthusiasts reconcile the science they use?

Post by Pluto's Child »

Maybe the fact that it's three times as far from the Sun as Pluto ?

Also being part of the asteroid belt could have a nullifying effect, my current theory about it all is that astrology is very much linked to the Electric Universe Theory, that the solar system is a giant energetic & conscious machine, the outer asteroid belt & it's contents could be discarded junk, parts of the machine no longer needed.
PurpleLama

Post by PurpleLama »

Like so much junk DNA, eh?
Phil

Post by Phil »

PurpleLama wrote:Like so much junk DNA, eh?
Are the effects of genes defined by their relationship to one another?

When (if?) science finds a testable function of a chromosome or piece of DNA or whatever previously considered "junk" that becomes accepted as part of the collective understanding, are all the functions of the other genes rethought?

Do new objects discovered in the cosmos represent things previously "missed" by astrology? Effects we hadn't previously thought of?

Where does authoritative descriptors and measurements (as in the case I presented, Pluto and two objects just as far but bigger) fit in? If the scientific discovery of Ceres first would it have been given all pluto's attributes?
Pluto's Child

Post by Pluto's Child »

PurpleLama wrote:Like so much junk DNA, eh?
Spose it could be, things we haven't worked out the purpose of yet Image

Phil wrote: Do new objects discovered in the cosmos represent things previously "missed" by astrology? Effects we hadn't previously thought of?
Maybe they will split attributes off something else ?
Phil wrote:Where does authoritative descriptors and measurements (as in the case I presented, Pluto and two objects just as far but bigger) fit in? If the scientific discovery of Ceres first would it have been given all pluto's attributes?
Not sure how that would work because a given planets effect depends on where it is in your chart, which is not just the fixed zodiac signs but also 12 "houses" which depend on your day of birth.

Houses http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology_houses.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Free birth chart http://www.astro.com/horoscopes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under "Horoscope Chart Drawings"
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

http://planetwaves.fm/mercury-retrograde-2/

Phil I think you might like this guy, Eric Francis. I heard him on Hoagland's show last week and I have to say found him refreshing and entertaining.

What do we mean when we say astrology? This topic came up during my appearance earlier today on Richard C. Hoagland’s program, “The Other Side of Midnight.” I’ll have that audio for you later in the week in case you want to listen.

I begin tonight’s in that spirit, taking a philosophical approach to Mercury retrograde, treating it mainly as a phenomenon of the mind.

I then look at astrology that is weaving together Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces — mainly through the Saturn-Neptune square.

My take is that this astrology is about how our relationship to our beliefs is changing, as it must if we want to survive.

There's a link to the podcast on the page listed above. Give it a listen. :)
Ingressum instruas, progressum dirigas, egressum compleas.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I can't get the podcast to play...any tips? Has it been youtubed?
PurpleLama

Post by PurpleLama »

http://planetwavesweekly.com/audio/160105-pwfm.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fredkc

Post by Fredkc »

Welcome back, Me! :)
Ok, here's my take on Astrology, and how I got there.

When my 1st wife decided to take astrology lessons, we being in a "togetherness mode", I took them with her. So I did the lectures, reading, discussions, along with, for a year.

To sum up:
Astrology deals with the notion that the planets have a "reflective affect" upon the solar, and cosmic rays we live in, and therefore have an affect upon our lives, okay? Chart reading is basically an understanding of the affects these different flavors of reflected energy have, and learning how they mix'n match. Kinda like learning cooking, & spices.

Of prime importance tho, is an over-riding factor: free will. Cannot be repeated enough: "the stars imply, they do not compel". Otherwise this whole existence is basically a rigged farce, and we can all relax and forget about, things like "meaning", or "direction".

What this leads to is perspective.

If its hailing 1/2 inch chunks, or blowing 80 mph outside, yes, I'd probably wait until tomorrow to go check the mailbox. On the other hand, if the lights get shut off TODAY unless you go pay the bill, and there's a light snow falling, I'd make the drive.

The analogy holds. Look it as simply a weather report on the energy environment, nothing more. Assuming a reasonable amount of consciousness, and free will, you can get thru most of what it can throw at you. After all, everyone else is swimming in the same thing. Or as Zen Buddhist D. T. Suzuki said, "If you find yourself caught out in the rain, don't bother running. It's raining everywhere." :)

And if you find yourself checking the stars before deciding when to walk your dog... go rent a real life.
Fred
Life IS mystical. It's just that we're used to it.

Return to “Science (Spirituality)”