Poll :Do you want the "thank you for this post" feature disabled on this forum?

"Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."
-Muhammad Ali

Do you want the "thank you for this post" feature disabled on this forum?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:18 pm

yes
33%
no
67%

Total votes: 15

Cristian

Re: Poll :Do you want the "thank you for this post" feature disabled on this forum?

Post by Cristian »

More important than a "thank your post" thing... may be voting on forum issues, instead of admins and mods making the decision. If the votes are in favor of disabling the "thanks" system there is always the next poll that can reinstate it.
Realeyes

Re: Poll :Do you want the "thank you for this post" feature disabled on this forum?

Post by Realeyes »

For me the Thank You button has stood for many things such as:

Great meaning full post
I agree
I understand where you are coming from
Well spoken
High five
Appreciate your courage to say that
That was meaningful to me
I heard you
I read your post
I appreciated your post
Agreed with some views, but not all
Thank you for being here
Personal interaction without requiring a post reply
Appreciation of who you are
Cool – right on
You got the point
Love your BEingness…

I could go on with the list, but I think it gives a picture of my opinion on this matter.

For me the thank you button is like walking down the street and smiling at a stranger or two walking past, when one doesn’t have the time to stop and speak – yet a brief engagement still occurred. Humanity is a social species that also involves interactions such as ‘Thanks’ and you're appreciated. A "thank you" at times can mean so much.

But I am from the British Isles and apparently we Brits say 'thank you' more than others deem normal around the world - lol.

I am also part of the older generation that remembers life and how we communicated with each other prior to all this technology with proper human interaction. Now we have Cyber space and I have observed how later generation’s usage of language has changed, behaviour too.

I do worry that maybe we are losing those natural endearing human qualities really fast in this cyber world; my grandparents would never have understood why a group of people would debate the topic of 'thank you'.... back in their day it was part of the daily appreciation, respect and common courtesy we had for each other. Today a 'Thank you' can be seen as being competitive or psy-oppsing someone or whatever.... even a smile towards a stranger in the street is deemed suspicious these days. It is a sad sign of the Times.

And also that I am getting old fashioned in my ways.
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

Cristian wrote:More important than a "thank your post" thing... may be voting on forum issues, instead of admins and mods making the decision. If the votes are in favor of disabling the "thanks" system there is always the next poll that can reinstate it.
Perhaps, or it could devolve into a back-and-forth about "We already voted on this!", not to mention that individuals might feel obligated to go back and re-thank all the posts that had occurred since the removal of the thanks.

To be fair, I admit that there probably ISN'T a perfect approach,....
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

... except one: I lie too much" - Ilya Alekseyev
Pris

Post by Pris »

Nooooooooo..... Please don't take this away.

One of the reasons I came here from The Mists is the 'thumbs up' system. (I was feeling rather... unappreciated over there).

At first, I loved having 'no thumbs up' when I first joined The Mists... (less sucking up, that sort of thing). However, the novelty wore off quickly.

Having 'thumbs up' adds a whole extra dimension to a forum -- a way to show appreciation for others without having to post anything.

Please, please, please.... I don't usually beg.

Pwweeeeeze?

Last edited by Pris on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pris

Post by Pris »

Pris

Post by Pris »

Admit it. A kitteh thread without thumbs up is like a 'non-event'. (That's something of a joke, but if you notice, there is NO kitteh thread in The Mists).

This is really about controversial threads... If you are someone who dares to post a controversial opinion, you likely know what I'm talking about here. I've got a controversial thread going on in The Mists at the moment. The current actively posting members aren't so... appreciative of it. ;) Of course, that doesn't stop me. But, encouragement is nice.

The thumbs up system is a more or less innocuous way for people to support you without getting themselves into... 'trouble'. The point is, the only vague gauge I have that people in general are liking/reading the thread is by views. I guess the idea here is if they didn't like it, they wouldn't read it.

Anyway, I feel more inclined to post when I am encouraged.
Naga_Fireball

Post by Naga_Fireball »

I use Thanks kind of like bookmarks.. It's a way to track threads without using the other notifications.

However Thanks provides a means for stalkers & others to track people as well. And it being removable is creepy as a provocateur can Thank then remove it after tracking the behavior of others.

Thanks can also tip you off regarding how long a person has been posting or lurking.

But like I said, they are convenient shorthand that makes communication easier via phone for those lacking normal computer terminal.

Thanks for this thread lol.
But where's the Undecided and Don't Care options for our rebels, nuggets, hippies and flesh puppets?
Brotherhood falls asunder at the touch of fire!
He finds his fellow guilty of a skin
Not coloured like his own, and having power
To enforce the wrong, for such a worthy cause
Dooms and devotes him as his lawful prey.
~William Cowper
Pris

Post by Pris »

Naga_Fireball wrote:I use Thanks kind of like bookmarks.. It's a way to track threads without using the other notifications.

However Thanks provides a means for stalkers & others to track people as well. And it being removable is creepy as a provocateur can Thank then remove it after tracking the behavior of others.

Thanks can also tip you off regarding how long a person has been posting or lurking.

But like I said, they are convenient shorthand that makes communication easier via phone for those lacking normal computer terminal.

Thanks for this thread lol.
But where's the Undecided and Don't Care options for our rebels, nuggets, hippies and flesh puppets?
Yaay, stalkers and trackers. Good point. Still, they'll do it with or without thumbs. You want to avoid crap, don't post on forums. Don't post at all. Better yet, don't go on the internet. Don't have a computer... Don't use a cell phone (I don't, at least that's one down)...

As for an Undecided and a Don't Care button, that's complicated. Not sure that's necessary... If you are really undecided and/or don't care enough, you can always post a quick comment and/or smiley. Example: :| Example: :roll:
Pris

Post by Pris »

Here's a thought. I'm not seeing a post # on a post. Post numbers are reeeeally handy, especially if you want to make a link to it/bring it to someone else's attention. Also, the numbers help to remind you where you are in a thread.

I sometimes stitch a few separate posts into one of my replies, and being able to keep track of all the posts I want to respond to/include (cut 'n' paste) is difficult without numbers on them.
Shezbeth

Post by Shezbeth »

Uhm, look at the link associated with the title of each post,....

^_^

Happy New Year! (returns to his booz n company)
http://shezbethblog.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have no flaws...

... except one: I lie too much" - Ilya Alekseyev

Return to “General discussions”