Gnosticism - The Apocryphon / Secret Writing of John - Introduction to Gnostic Texts Scriptures

“It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Christine
Site Admin

Gnosticism - The Apocryphon / Secret Writing of John - Introduction to Gnostic Texts Scriptures

Post by Christine »

Image ESOTERICA

Gnosticism has produced some of the richest and most difficult spiritual texts of the ancient world. With the discovery of the Nag Hammadi library one is confronted with numerous, often obscure and difficult texts - where to begin? This episode of Esoterica argues that the best first text is the Apocryphon / Secret Writing of John, a text found two recensions (long and short) in four manuscripts from antiquity. Here we introduce, summarize and discuss this amazing gnostic text.

Recommended Readings:

Meyer - The Nag Hammadi Scriptures - 978-0061626005
Robinson - The Nag Hammadi Library - 978-0060669355
Davies - The Secret Book of John - 978-1594730825
King - The Secret Revelation of John - 978-0674030558
van den Broek - Gnostic Religion in Antiquity - 978-1107514799
Lambdin - Introduction to Sahidic Coptic - 978-0865540484
Williams - Rethinking "Gnosticism": An Argument for Dismantling a Dubious Category - 978-0691005423

#gnosticism #gnostic #apocryphon

Cristian, thank you so much for sharing this video with me. This gentleman does an excellent job in his summation, both with the historical verification and lucid discourse on the text. Since I long ago left my copy of the Nag Hammadi behind, I will take his advice and purchase a few books. 💛

The Secret Book Of John - Gnostic Text From The Nag Hammadi Library - Full Audio Book
The journey, the challenge is to step into the
projection room and stop being lost in the script.

Return to “Recommended Videos and Podcasts”