Farm Life

''Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.''
-Bruce Lee
Spiritwind

Re: Farm Life

Post by Spiritwind »

I’m sitting here contemplating another day here on the ole farmstead. I haven’t lacked for things to do lately. I should be studying to take my ham radio technician license test, but admit I’m dragging my feet. I know I need to know, but still, the resistance is there. Partly because I’ve never been big into technology, and barely even know how to use my fancy phone, except for what I need to use on it. But I will push myself anyway. I’m also taking an emergency response certification class and training in October, just in time for the apocalypse.

I’m trying to be funny, even though I know it’s not really a laughing matter. And I’m writing now, because, for the moment I still can. As I’ve said recently before, I will probably not be writing publicly for much longer. The time to dive under the surface, and stay out of sight, is almost here. I read about a pregnant woman who was arrested in her own home in Australia for posting something on FB! Sign, sign, everywhere a sign. Yes, the signs are all around us, even while some of my friends and family still cling to the “when we get back to normal” narrative. Ain’t happening folks.

The air quality has been deemed “unhealthy” due to so much smoke in the air, even though it’s not nearly as bad here as it has been in recent past years. Still, almost everyone I know has congestion and a runny nose all the time. I may be doing another fast soon, just to help clean up the inside of my body and strengthen my immune system. I’ve contemplated numerous possible future scenarios, from not so bad, to worst than bad. I think mental preparation is helpful, as a common response to the unexpected is shock and inability to respond. I have a lot of animals here who depend on me, and do worry about our collective futures.

At the same time, I have been very busy just processing produce. I have given away, frozen, and now dehydrating a ridiculous amount of zucchini. Reminder to myself for next year (if there even is a next year), don’t plant 5 zucchini plants! Two would have been plenty. And now the tomatoes are finally bearing much fruit, and I am dehydrating the bumper crop of cherry tomatoes, since I can’t eat them fast enough. I have a fall crop of raspberries coming on too. Unfortunately, I won’t get hardly any corn this year. Besides the horse (and Dotty, the goat) eating as much as possible around the perimeter, and the sunflowers falling over in the middle, it did not pollinate very well this year. So many things I will not do the same. Sunflowers are going to be in their own place, where I can easily tie them all up. That’s what I did a few years ago, and it worked out much better.

I did get one good ear of corn so far, and that one I’m keeping for seed for next year. I also collected a bunch of spinach seed. I haven’t dug up the potatoes yet, to see how well they did. I’m hoping for a decent amount. And I have no idea how the beets are doing yet either. Anything is better than nothing. The acorn squash finally started putting on female flowers, but I just don’t know if they will have enough time to do much. There are small ones on there, but they all look like they have a ways to go. Might just have to buy a bunch to store and use this winter. The lettuce is reseeding itself all over the place, which doesn’t hurt my feelings at all. And I do have almost 2 dozen apples on our little tree I bought this year. The other one I put too close to the propane hot water heat vent on the RV, and damn near killed it earlier this year. Sometimes I do the stupidest things. The peach tree, and the walnut trees I got are doing great, though, along with the plum tree my neighbor brought me, so I am excited about getting a real orchard going next year. It’s really hard to keep them watered up enough in containers, so I’ll be happy to get them in the ground. Just didn’t want to do it, until I could do it right. Between the gophers and the deer, planning is critical.

The second hay storage area is well on its way to working out better this time. We are adding another fence panel over the top, so it extends out past the hay a bit more and will help keep the snow off in winter. And we are also buying a variety of supplies for projects we want to complete, with the expectation certain things may be hard to get later. Ammunition is one that is already getting hard to find and very expensive (and I can’t tell you how many are suddenly interested in the topic of self protection). All by design, I have no doubt. I did have the foresight to stock up on certain health supplements though, so we are in pretty good shape there. Also, in just a couple weeks we will be going to get about 4 - 5 ton of hay in, as I definitely want to have enough to get through this winter. I’m actually preparing for even longer extended periods of not going anywhere at all.

One thing we do have is music equipment. Several guitars, and my husband wants to get me a small keyboard and learn to play. We might as well get good at entertaining ourselves. We did go to a small outdoor music event last weekend, on some private property, that was completely ignoring all the imposed rules that have been placed upon us. I kind of liked it for that reason, as well as it may be the last time in the foreseeable future I get to listen to someone else playing live music. I also remembered the reason I don’t really go to bars anymore, or have any desire for an exciting “night life”. As I’ve gotten older, watching people get more and more intoxicated, and the light go out of their eyes as they sort of check out does not appeal to me. I know too much from an energetic perspective to enjoy that much anymore. I do miss dancing though. It’s great exercise. I would probably do that more except for our living space is rather small. Maybe we’ll have to build a stage and dance floor outside.

Everything out here has a layer of dirt on it, and is very dry. It would be even worse had I not watered the weeds so much. The horse and goats did a pretty good job eating them down, and it’s better than billowing dust everywhere. I still haven’t let the chickens out, although I will be able to do that soon, as the gardens wind down. We have been catching grasshoppers for them, and it has been fun watching them go nuts. They can be very fast when they want to be. And, my oh my, I forgot how loud they can be when announcing they are getting ready to lay an egg. Funny little dinosaurs they are.

I must say, that although I know people on both sides on the plandemic and political fence, I also am finding more and more people beginning to exercise some critical thinking, and questioning the narrative. And it is weird to be witnessing the subversive moves being made by those who don’t show their faces but are funding and instigating all the unrest in my country. It’s become painfully obvious to so many. It is a planned, sort of slow motion, takeover of what will be a Marxist regime replete with untold horror if they are successful. I guess we are all about to find out what this country is really made of. Even my daughter, who tries to tow the line, has begun refusing to wear a mask at work. Her job is very physical long hours in a poorly ventilated warehouse, and she found it was physically harming her to keep wearing it under such conditions. She is a good worker, so while they keep pressuring her, they haven’t threatened her with job loss or anything. I’m proud of her for standing up.

I guess it’s time to go check the zucchini in the dehydrator, give everyone some hay, check waters, and eat some breakfast. I do have to work harder at keeping my mind from spinning in multiple different directions constantly, almost on a subconscious level, for it makes me feel somewhat disoriented. Like, hard to focus. What is happening, to us all, is a form of trauma being induced purposefully. People are much easier to herd, manipulate, and control, when they are off center. Fortunately, I’ve had these last few years to get good and grounded in this alternate lifestyle. It has changed my perspective in a strange and subtle way. Being alone all the time, and being in nature and around animals has a way of changing you, but, from what I can see, it’s been a very good change. Overall, my mental and physical health is pretty good, and in some ways, better than it has ever been.

In fact, as I contemplate the forum kind of fading away perhaps, even though it brings me sadness, is not really seen as bad. Those who started the ball rolling here, over 5 years ago, have turned their focus in different directions, doing what they need to do. That is kind of the nature of things. Nothing ever stays the same. For many of us, our focus is being drawn more and more to what’s right in front of us, what is local, and just diving in. No matter what happens, might as well try to enjoy the parts we can, and spend as much time as possible with those we love and have a sense of mission with. It’s weird to feel happy and yet sort of sad at the same time. It gives more meaning to the word bittersweet all the time.

It’s funny, because I started forum life, back in the summer of 2011, due to a night job that gave me lots of time and I needed something to help keep me awake. I still had many questions then, and looked to others for answers. Interesting that at long last I really understand, the truth is inside me, and I already know. I just need to keep remembering. A little trust and faith in that something that has no real name or definite form, but is oh so very real to me, will take me wherever I need to go. Not a day goes by where I do not acknowledge all I have to be grateful for. The world may be going to shit, but still, life is good.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....

Spiritwind

Re: Farm Life

Post by Spiritwind »

I’m laughing to myself as I try to decide where to begin. Someone messaged me this morning and started with “welcome to the theatre of the absurd”. That about sums it up. My poor little RV is feeling smaller and smaller. I have been dehydrating tomatoes and zucchini, and doing red bell peppers today. I’ve also been freezing quite a bit of produce too. It’s weird to grow more than I can eat, but I’m gardening in earnest now.

Several reasons for that. One is kind of obvious. They are purposefully creating severe economic hardships and food shortages that will become quite evident in the months to come. Plus, due to so many possibilities happening weather wise, growing may become much more challenging in the years to come. Somehow I need to get my partially underground greenhouse built. I have a bunch of windows someone gave me. I just wish someone would drop off a backhoe for a week or two. I could do so many things with it. Heck, maybe even get that underground bunker I’ve always wanted.

We did get 4 ton of good hay in this last weekend, and unloaded most of it on Sunday, when the air quality index was at 499, the worst our area has ever seen since they’ve kept records. It’s still at “very unhealthy” levels, but feels remarkably improved from what it was. For anyone wondering if some of these many fires across many states here in the Pacific Northwest are being set intentionally, the answer most certainly is yes. Even though anyone saying so will be censored. I can still say mostly what I want here, since I am the lone poster lately. And those who would claim it’s all climate change can just go climb a tree (cause, strangely, some of the photos I’ve seen show everything vaporized, BUT the trees!!!).

Even though anyone claiming Antifa or other rogue groups have a hand in some of these fires (or maybe even some of the prisoners who they’ve let out early), is being heavily censored, amongst private individuals there is clear evidence of such that is circulating around, despite their efforts to stop the flow of information that runs counter to their narrative. In other words, many people are seeing through the ruse, no matter what the media is telling everyone to believe.

And how does this impact farm life? Well, my thinking on just about everything is going through somewhat of a metamorphosis. It was already developing along these lines, but now it’s ready to grow wings. Time to step up our game. And it’s definitely game on time folks. Everything my husband and I have been doing these last 4 years on this property is making so much more sense now. People who thought we were nuts are having to rethink their assessment. One thing is, fire is a bigger danger than it has ever been my entire life. We have 14 goats, 4 chickens, 3 cats, two dogs, and a horse. And no horse trailer. My husband had an idea a few days ago. Not sure what I think of it. He suggested that we could hook our RV up to the truck, and hook our 25 foot sailboat up to our 4 wheel drive car, and put most of the goats in there. Kinda funny, kinda not. At first he was suggesting we could throw them all in the RV. I didn’t think much of that idea, so the boat actually is a better alternative.

Actually, I have enough crates for all the goats, so wherever we put them they won’t have to be running amok. And I’m wondering how fast I can throw everything in here on the floor to pull us outta here. Some of the books I brought out of storage are going to have to go though. As soon as he gets the laundry room done, which should be soon, I can get a lot of the extra stuff we have been gathering the last few months outta here. And, yes, certain things I am stocking up on. Hearing aid batteries, stuff for my dentures, supplements, and first aid supplies. So many things are flying off the shelves at stores. Some things may become very scarce in the months to come. And, yes, the herd is definitely spooked.

I’m still milking two goats every day, making cheese usually a couple times a week. Some for us to use, some to freeze. I’ve also been making my own CBD oil for some time now, which remarkably has helped me to increase my productivity level without the expected swelling and pain that usually accompanies such. I still have some trouble with circulation in my hands, but not as much as I would have expected. My lifestyle is increasingly turning into a full time job. Fortunately I like what I do, and where I am. Certain things in the garden did very well this year. Bumper crop of tomatoes and the blackberry bush that started out as a single tiny start two years ago has taken off. I froze a bunch recently because try as I might, I couldn’t eat them all fast enough. Even the bush acorn plants have around 10-12 that finally grew on them. Just hope they get to finish, as they are not ready yet. Corn was a bust this year. Just didn’t pollinate well, although I still got a couple good ears to keep for seed.

So many things I didn’t do, garden wise, as well as I’d like. But, every year shows improvement. I did get a lot of black oil sunflower seeds which I’m currently drying. I will make sure they are thoroughly dry before I store them this time, and also make sure that whatever they are stored in is rodent proof. I had a big bag in the well house that mice got into, and wow, did they make a mess! I admit, I swore like a sailor the whole time I was cleaning it up. They were in a cupboard that the mice shouldn’t have gotten into, but when I pulled everything out, I saw that the back of the cupboard they were in had pulled away when we moved it around several months ago. Won’t do that again.

And, it’s almost breeding time again. Little Mr. Rollo is turning into a handsome guy. I’ll be putting Jewel, Firefly’s daughter, (Firefly is one I lost to the cougar attack) in with him. She is a good milking prospect for next year. And I’ll be breeding the two I am milking now to Raven. He is in his prime, and is currently being loaned out to a friend. He’s already made some nice kids for me. I’ll also be finishing the milk stanchion area in preparation for next year, so I can use the milk machine we got this summer. I want to put some linoleum down so it’s easier to keep clean. I figure I may be milking even more next year, as cheese making may become more than just for me.

Community building is finally happening, as many more are seeing the clear signs on the horizon. And rural folks are far more up to speed on helping one another it seems. When fires broke out around us, many of my goat friends were quick to offer help should it be needed. I did have one friend in Idaho who narrowly missed her home burning down, and did have to evacuate all her animals in a hurry. She had to leave a few behind, a cow, a wild billy goat they couldn’t catch, and the birds. Fortunately they all survived.

And I have family that live in north central Washington where the small town my husband went to high school in is almost gone. So many stories of wildlife that are being rescued and cared for, and, really, as horrible as it all is, some shining lights of humanity showing through it all. Tears well up as I think about it all. These truly are unprecedented times. I have much more I could say, now that I’m on a roll, but I have a friend who may be stopping by soon. She is fervently trying to get her home in the city ready to sell, and looking for rural property, hopefully fairly close to us, out here to buy. It’s early in the day, but maybe she’ll bring wine. I have crackers and cheese : )

We gotta keep our sense of humor intact. Otherwise, perfectly sane people are going to start loosing their shit along with everyone else. All I can say, is my love for life, all life, is actually growing stronger, and I didn’t think it could. Yes, I know I am spirit, having a human experience, that DOES have an expiration date. And to spirit I will return. So, yes, very serious things are happening, but we can all choose to make this a time when we rise and show the world that humans are not ultimately the scourge of the earth. Only some are, and they lost their sense of humanity some long time ago. The choices we make are what make us who we are. Hopefully, many more will rise, and shine, like the stars we really are.
I see your love shining out from my furry friends faces, when I look into their eyes. I see you in the flower’s smile, the rainbow, and the wind in the trees....

Return to “Express yourself”